Problem Players

Siemens Sl45
Active Poster

Problem Players

Post by Siemens Sl45 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:50 am

I have just expirenced a really bad player he was very abusive to a player. he was repeatedly calling this player a certain name and wouldnt at all drop the subject.

We tryed our best to kick/ban him from the game but we couldnt do even that. there was no guide to help us out what so ever.

We need as a host be able to kick a player if we consider they are being abusive we dont have to put up with this contiuing rubbish its just not right. Can we have this option added so we can use it if we do need it and there is NO guide in the lobby to assist us. :?:
Men are superior to all, no exceptions

sandbar
Guide

Re: Problem Players

Post by sandbar » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:35 am

I was on duty, Siemens, and I did NOT see you ask for a guide at any time, I was back and forth between smoots and wizards and I monitor both rooms.
If you need a guide you only need to ask for one in the lobby, if we are around, AND I WAS, I would have come to your game.
Please do not say there was no guide around if you didn't even try to call one.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:59 pm

Yes, sometimes guides are stealth so they can go back and forth to rooms without getting involved in a lot of chit chat. So you need to call in the lobby for one and if none answeres then they aren't there.

Also guides don't kick players from games for chat, they silence them. You have the power to right click and click ignore so you can't see what they are saying, any and all players can do this. And then you can file a report on the game.

As such you already have the tools to deal with this type of situation, in the way Hardwood games wants it handled :)

I am woman I am strong

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:21 am

sandbar wrote:I was on duty, Siemens, and I did NOT see you ask for a guide at any time, I was back and forth between smoots and wizards and I monitor both rooms.
If you need a guide you only need to ask for one in the lobby, if we are around, AND I WAS, I would have come to your game.
Please do not say there was no guide around if you didn't even try to call one.
Playing Devil's Advocate here but how can you be sure that Siemens didn't call for a guide if you were "back and forth between smoots and wizards"? He may have called whilst you were out of the room and you missed it; would you have taken the time to check the lobby chat if you weren't aware that there was a problem? Equally, if I need a guide and I don't see one (I see no point in stealth anyway if there is no lobby disruption but that's another topic) then of course it could be considered a reasonable assumption that there isn't one.
grandmaS wrote:As such you already have the tools to deal with this type of situation, in the way Hardwood games wants it handled
So basically, you're telling us we don't need to bother guides and we can deal with it ourselves.

Which begs the question ... what's the point of guides?

Incidentally, neither of you have addressed Siemens' original question of why can't we have the ability to kick players when we are hosts returned to us? Indeed, why was this taken away in the first place? When we create a table, we should have to the right to choose who plays with us, particularly if we want to rid ourselves of an abusive player.

But hey, that's just my opinion ...
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

Siemens Sl45
Active Poster

Post by Siemens Sl45 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:29 pm

i actually fully agree with the last post in total. we cant kick out a player when we are host and this player hasnt stalled or whatever. as being the host we can only kick ppl when they 1st join the game if we dont like them at that point of time we can ban them and kick them out.

BUT, if a player becomes abusive or whatever after the game has started there is nothing you can do about it, you then have to play the game and then click yes to play again and only then if all has clicked yes if that abusive player remains in the room only then can you kick them out before you start another game.

I STRONGLY BELEIVE THAT THE HOST OF ANY GAME SHOULD HAVE THE POWER TO KICK AND BAN ANY PROBLEM PLAYER OUT. HARDWOOD HEARTS SHOULD COMPLY WITH THIS AND ALLOW THE HOSTS TO BOOT ABUSIVE PLAYERS OUT. (Now ill probally get told off for using partial capitals.) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:08 pm

So the HOST who is losing in the game decides the one that is winning is not being nice by winning against the HOST and the HOST kicks them???

NAW !!!!!

I say use the tools given to you to ignore them and let the others know they can do the same, file a report, ask for a guide.

JUST DUST

PS - Not willing to give the HOST the right to kick anyone out during any part of the game other than when it first starts and that is still there. I could see the abuse now if you add this requested feature.

PS - Purple.... They can see all chat from each of the rooms and therefore monitor both/all and can then pop in where needed IF the player asks for a guide in the first place.... There is also a purpose for stealth and that is guide is still online and cannot however pay attention to the lobby and rather than have a player scream for a guide when one is not available they stealth and can pickup where they left off when they return. There are many reasons for it.

PS - You can kick out a player if they have been stalling for 2 minutes, 30 secs is not enough in my judgment to justify kicking someone out and to give a HOST this much power in a game would be rediculous.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Siemens Sl45
Active Poster

Post by Siemens Sl45 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:24 pm

i dont mind what any other player might think. The ultimate power should be used by the host and no other. its upto us to decide who gets kicked or not.

WE DONT NEED RUDE ARROGANT PLAYERS IN OUR GAMES.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:17 pm

Sorry Siemens I agree with Dust, that would be abused over and over. And as such would create far more problems then it would fix.

I am woman I am strong

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:26 am

When the host had the kick/ban button during gameplay, the other players had to agree, which would put paid to the majority of abuse of the system. Yes there is going to be a very small percentage that play the system and take advantage but this percentage is miniscule compared with those that want better control over who they play with. To quote Spock, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". Therefore your reasoning for not allowing the kick/ban button back during gameplay doesn't hold up.

Incidentally, when I was a guide, I never logged into HW in blue unless I could devote my full attention to it so again, your reasoning for stealth doesn't hold up either. If you can't pay full attention to what's going on, then don't log on in blue ... simple.

Incidentally, if all else fails when you get a problem player, Siemens, do what I do ... put it on auto and go grab a coffee 'til it's over. So it might affect your rating ... so what ... you're not gonna win any prizes for having a good rating, now are you? I know this course of action, however, would be abhorrent to a lot of players which is why we should have the kick/ban button during gameplay back.

But anyway, these are just the opinions of a humble ex-guide ...
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:45 am

It was taken because of abuse so it was not a small percentage or they wouldn't have bothered to make the change.

Owners of the site, not guides determined there was a need for stealth, and installed it, guides use it to help the players so they can devote more attention to the masses which have grown by leaps and bounds over the years.

In the end only the admin decides what tools, players and guides will have and how they will be used.

I am woman I am strong

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:53 am

Well, that's the most polite way I've every been told to shut up and mind my own business! lol

So I'm shutting up and minding my own business. My opinion won't change however ...

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:55 am

I personally found many very good reasons for the use of stealth and it helped more players than it ever hurt (those that decided no guide around, get nasty) and the way I had always looked at it was if your NOT doing anything your NOT supposed to do than You have nothing to worry about when it comes to a guide stealth or not.

Yes the kick feature was abused.... and a lot more than most/anyone probably ever knew. No one player should have that much control over a game played by 4 individuals and I really wouldn't care how abussive they are because I have was given tools to use as a player to fix that. I also really don't care what anyone says when it comes down to it, you can call me a **(&^ --7^)(* _)&*^4 and I may even agree with you, but I know for sure I'm just an Ogre.....

JUST DUST

PS - Sticks and stones.... but nothing over the internet can hurt you.....
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:02 pm

Coming to the defense for the stealth mode ..

I have to say that i have seen when a guide wasnt in stealth and my gawd the complaints thrown at them by players who could handle the situation on their own.. as petty as they are.

She kicked me, he is stalling, so and so wont play, he said a dirty word, she's cheating, he called me a name, he's rushing me, she's fooming me, he quit.. blah blah blah blah blah blah.. and on and on

These things that would make any guide hide and allow or even force people to handle some small things on their own, it's good for them, the sky wont fall. With a report, an exit and mute buttons, we're all armed. Honestly, after watching HW lobbies for @ 8 yrs i have to wonder how do some people function out in the real world without life-moderators at their side to silence the wrong-doers in their life..

Not to mention, being caught red-handed gets results in reports. A few problem players that have been problems for years are not going to have something done about while they are being sweet with guides visable. Go stealth and nab em.. some of them are long over-due.

Dont see a guide around and need help for a serious matter?? Many have offered up their hw IM and email. Put them on your buddy list, if you need help, and theyre logged on those names. call on one.

We complain if theyre up our butts.. and now we are complaining when theyre not.. what are they supposed to do?

xox
Hexa

ps.. Dust.. youre not just any ole ogre hon

pss.. GrandmaS i love the "try to handle it yourself with what we have provided you" take on things.. bravo HW for settling down a bit on the clicker and forcing people to talk things out with civilness, use their tools or simply walk away
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:51 am

HEXA,

I agree with about 99% of what you say, though the one thing we differ on is the motivation some players would have for complaining about another player. It might not be to call on a guide but rather to warn the other players that problem player X does such and such offending behavior and to not play with him. Whether or not that's a good reason is certainly not being put forth here, but it has been my casual observation that not all lobby complaints are directed to visible or invisible guides.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:09 am

HEXA... Ya missed "He's touching me!!!" I really worried when I saw that one LOL

Announcing that so and so is a jerk in the lobby is just not cool, why make a scene, just move on or as your name implies Sail Away

Yes handling the problem with the tools you have and one of those forgotten ones is what's on top of your shoulders. Be smart, ignore the player, report the player (if you feel the need) and don't even tell them that your doing it and they can make a fool of themselves all alone. When they see all their actions are NOT ruffling any feathers they will stop.

JUST DUST

PS - Am too an Ogre LOL