Use of words....?

Bad Boy 44

Use of words....?

Post by Bad Boy 44 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:17 pm

I would just like to know why the word 'Bite' is currently not allowed to be mentioned in any game. I dont beleive or consider this word to b rude or offensive in anyway and as such should be removed from the current filters in place. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

grandmaS
Grand Master

Re: Use of words....?

Post by grandmaS » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:52 pm

There are several words that the filter zaps do to other words that were added. This is one reason they don't like to put all words not allowed in the filters and leave them for guides to control. Otherwise you would not be able to say much of anything.

Really when your playing cards there is no reason to say bite anyway so its not like a big loss to your gaming experience.

Hope this better helps you to understand why sometimes there is a word that you can see no reason for it being filtered but is. Once example that you can probably easily understand is you can't say Cocker Spaniel, or cockatoo, those words have a string of letters in them that have been filtered as such even though there is nothing wrong with the word shown here the filter will snag it.

I am woman I am strong

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:16 pm

You can say Bite in the games. The word bite does not get filtered out.
Last edited by Lace on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:43 pm

LOL, well if you think bite is bad, Bad Boy, When I try to give someone my email it always blocks me, Why you say because I use the 1st letter of my 1st name which is B followed by my last Name That starts with a S and the server filter always spanks me :lol:

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:34 pm

I wanted to create a Halloween nic in honor of my ancestor, Rebecca Town Nurse, who was tried and hanged as a witch in Salem Village, Massachusetts in 1692 (of course none of those tried were actually witches but good Christians). I tried all kinds of things with the year and it didnt allow me to make any of them. Finally, I tried one with just 92 at the end and it took.

Figured out that the number 1692 contains a verboten numeric combination.... even contained within a larger number.

So I was SalemVillage_92, not SalemVillage1692.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 am

You could have used 16SalemWitch92...

Just a thought

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:30 am

I could have, but I had successfully created the one with just 92 at the end before I finally figured out why it wasn't allowing me to make the others. I just used that one since it was a done deal.

It just didn't occur to me that I was making a nic that had a "bad word" in it since it read sixteen-ninety-two. That combination didn't jump out at me, even though I was creating the nic. I doubt anyone would have been offended by the year 1692, but computers doing string scans will catch it every time.

They don't tell you why your nic is not allowed (nic not allowed... contains "69").... just that it violates some policy. I didn't know if Salem was on the bad list or if it was too long or what. A more descriptive error message as such would have been helpful.

It's not that I am looking for any kind of remedy, unless you want to enhance the error message to the user as to what specifically was found, but wanted to share that since it relates to the topic.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Bad Boy 44

Post by Bad Boy 44 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:17 pm

I think its about time silver creek revise the filters on the use of language, some might say they are old fashioned. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:14 pm

Bad Boy 44 wrote:I think its about time silver creek revise the filters on the use of language, some might say they are old fashioned. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
or alternatively, if we would use our internal filters, HW wouldn't need any :mrgreen:.

I'm a proponent of taking personal responsibility.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 am

I cant see why you couldnt say "bite" in a game or the lobby as there are countless "Bite Me" nics made with no hassle........ 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu May 21, 2009 8:42 am

Bad Boy 44 wrote:I think its about time silver creek revise the filters on the use of language, some might say they are old fashioned. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Actually recently I did take a pass and cleared out a bunch for the Usernames filter.

Its really not an issue of "old fashioned" but what are people doing that is a pain in my butt.

So a lot where just situations where groups of folks we're being obnoxious and causing me, the guides and staff undo grief, so I'd add something in to get them to knock it off. I'd forget about it, and so years would go by with some obscure filter that I'd forget to remove.

I've got to be the most foul mouthed guy at the office, and I'm in charge of putting in these filters....oh the irony :)

As for the "bite" in chat, that works, however "bite me" which to some is a vulgar reference does not. I'm on the fence on that one. Its one of the few. Most of the stuff in the actual chat filter is not acceptable chat in mixed company.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu May 21, 2009 3:31 pm

It would be nice if "EVERYONE WOULD" police themselves but alas there are a few that go to far, my monitor could tell you stories, but it was only my monitor that heard it and I have it sworn to secrecy (it got battery backup in the deal).

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!