Beta test of the next Hardwood Hearts update

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Beta test of the next Hardwood Hearts update

Post by Jonas » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 pm

The next update to Hardwood Hearts is ready for testing. This is a prerelease version so what we're looking for is bugs and general feedback on the changes. Please provide feedback in this thread, AND use the "submit bug report" button in the game.

We need this well tested this weekend. If you know someone that would like to try it out, feel free to give them a link to this page.

We've made a lot of little changes to the interface and some perceptual changes as well. We think that these changes will help reduce confusion for new players. So here we go...
  • One big difference, is that what was the trail version is now playable forever for FREE. We still have a upgrade path to the registered features (above and beyond the free stuff), but we won't be timing out the game. (if you already own a key, it will work to upgrade you, probably automatically)
  • We've also reworked the menus, and added a new avatar for the Free users to use, we call it "the blob". If you have a hardwood hearts unlock key ,you can enter it in, to be back to the full functionality that you currently have. (please be sure to let us know how well that's working for you)
  • The music has been upgraded to a better format than the old midi music. However, for folks that have a prior version, your old music will still load, you need to go into the music playlist and add the OGGs to hear the better sounding music.
  • The Interface for the room list has been reworked quite a bit.
  • to host a game now, there is a button at the top of the game list labeled "create a game"
  • Now there are tips abound for the 1st time you do many things. For instance, when you log on online, it will explain what your looking at and what to do next.
  • The login box is now cleaned up and simpler to look at with less buttons and doodads.
  • We've added some quick access buttons for a few colors of chat and for the emotes. You can still do the more advanced stuff, but this helps the new folks.
So here's the link, go give it a whirl.
http://www.silvercrk.com/downloads/hearts/beta/

note: If you have binds, they are now stored in {your documents}\Silver Creek Entertainment\Hardwood Hearts\
also, this test version is only for windows.

Mr 3000 Nics
Active Poster

Re: Beta test of the next Hardwood Hearts update

Post by Mr 3000 Nics » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Well i finally broke down and downloaded the new beta version.I have found it to be abit choppy at times.I find it harder to see the face of the cards, hard to tell suites apart from color i find( maybe if the cards could be made a tad bit bigger would help) i have been booted of hearts twice today for some reason , both times i was a watcher in a game and both times a microsoft box popped up and said there was a problem with hearts.exe sorry for the inconvience and booted me then prompted me to send in an error report ( never had this with old version ever ). I don't like the emote and change color icons in the chat box i find it very annoying to always have to look at them.On the plus side i find the new version to be sleak and sharper.I love how the lettering looks now its more 2009 and not so 1990's.I love the new blob avator it's actually why i tried the new version as soon as i saw this creature it gave me 3000 more nic idea's :lol: So other then a few flaws i have found or don't personally like i think the new version will rock!
And That's The Bottom Line cause the bald guy with white sideburns SAYS SO ... just ask Sandbar hehe...

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback :)

Lunaqueen

Post by Lunaqueen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 pm

I presume this is just the windows version that you have updated. Any plans to update the mac version. I have a complaint about the mac version. It defaults to JO :diamond: which I never play.

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 pm

Yes, it's just the Windows version, they don't have a Mac version yet.

Lunaqueen

Post by Lunaqueen » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:53 pm

I suppose I could load it onto my virtual machine.

buck910721
Noob

Post by buck910721 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:46 am

:diamond: :spade: :heart: :club: To the man behind the curtain. I'm likeing the new hardwood even better resolution's on my big screen HD TV.
ty keep up the good work.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Okay guys Build 85 should be ready to rock

Post by Jonas » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:31 pm

Okay guys Build 85 should be ready to rock. Just use the "check version" in the help menu to patch up to the current beta version. If you don't have it yet, got get the beta version on the 1st post. (it should already be uptodate)

We're still trying to track down a few problems, but here's the fixes so far:
  • Fix game sidebar for timed turns, replay game and tutorials
  • Fix preview card in deck selector in enhanced mode
  • Fix display of 2 digit game numbers
  • Add Watch Game to lobby chat right click menu
  • Add Join Game to lobby chat right click menu if there are seats available
  • Fix lobby game list divider
  • Fix CTRL-P for Particle Toy in Main Menu
  • New option to disable points heartbeat sound
  • Fix point tokens origin when board is off center
  • Remember the board docking position
  • Add Flat layout option to the board right click menu
  • Fix crash replaying a game in which the local player was kicked before the game started
  • The Brick tile has been been changed, it's subtle, but basically to reduce the patterning
  • Parchment texture, as seen in the chat areas has been reword to remove High frequency pattern
  • Pass card message is more clear. It says "pick 3 cards" and then once you do it says "Click to pass" Where before it was assuming players knew to pick them
  • The table(board) has been refined.
  • other cosmetic adjustments
  • Fixed some weird glitches involving going to full screen/and windowed modes

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Build 86 - Release Candidate Ready for testing

Post by Jonas » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Okay folks, Build 86 it ready to go, just do a "check version" in the beta version to get it. (soon it will be in the "check version" for everyone)
Fixes:
  • Fixed chat in tutorials, which makes them playable again
  • Fixed a problem with the graphics test when in fullscreen
Please try this out right away and let us know if anything broke, or our fixes aren't working.

We will be taking this version of hearts out of beta tonight or tomorrow, so that means that players doing a check version or downloading the game normally will be getting this version. So needless to say, if there are any urgent issues, we need to know about it ASAP.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:48 pm

I tried it out and everything seemed to work fine only issue I had was one disconnect where the box with the gears came up trying to log me back in but I could still see the lobby and the chat, the chat however did not move while I was behind the box lol.

I am woman I am strong

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Yes, grandma, that is what was happening yesterday for nearly an hour, doing same thing every few minutes :|

PandoraEllen
Active Poster

Post by PandoraEllen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:49 pm

I had no problems tonite played at least 7 partner games in both rooms :D :) :heart:

The Joy is in the Journey!

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:34 pm

A few folks that are running vista didn't have their binds transfer over to the new build and can't find their old chatalias.txt file.

open up an file explorer window and paste in this folder to go to:
%APPDATA%\..\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)

This there you'll find your old chat alias file, under the Hardwood Hearts folder.

Press f3 on the new build to find the folder you'll want to copy the chat alias too. (you must turn off hearts before copying the file, else it will be overwritten by the game)

Note this only applies to a few people that ran the beta on vista. The current version should import them just fine on vista.

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:55 am

Thanks boss, thats useful.

mycatsally

Post by mycatsally » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:19 pm

Where is the forum topic addressing combining hearts rooms????? I was told we could have voiced our opinion in the forum but there is not anything talking about this change that I can find.