Server reboots after 9pm ET on April 7th

Sailing_Away
Guide

Server reboots after 9pm ET on April 7th

Post by Sailing_Away » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have an explanation for the continual server reboots on the night of April 7th from 9PM til past 10PM ET? We all got some box telling us this would happen, then those of us not in a game were thrown into our own instance of the lobby while those playing were still in the old instance. Once in the new instance, rebooting kept happening over and over and over ....

This totally killed the Tournament of Players tourney for the night, which I was the TD for tonight. I couldn't see the old server instance reporting the game scores... had to rely on people still in games there to pass this information on to me. I had no access to the games in progress as I was on the new server instance. Eventually because the server reboots were happening every minute or so, once all the 1st round games were done and all the players were on the new instance, we couldn't start our 2nd round. We ended up calling the tourney for the night.

Was this planned maintenance? If so, can you all pick a time to do this when it is not happening at the same time as the longest running active tourney on Hardwood Hearts? I couldn't effectively be a TD tonight with all the problems, and a best practice for making changes is to pick a maintenance schedule for when the fewest people are on the server. If there were problems that had to be fixed right then, perhaps that is different, but then it seems the old instance of the server was a lot more stable than the new instance was.

Yes, I am a little frustrated.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

luvcookies
Guide

Re: Server reboots after 9pm ET on April 7th

Post by luvcookies » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am

sailing this luvcookies i spoke to you on im about this and if it paper i would just cancel tourney as i am head admin in spades cant tell you how many times server crashed on us and the leagues over there dont do paper. and usually it crashes about 3 times and sometimes you cant get back on right away and when that happens we just cancel the tour. and wait til it comes back up and keep server up.

ty luvcookies :D

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 am

I apologize for the problems. I normally update the server in the morning when fewer people are on. I had updated the server that morning and then later in the day discovered there was an issue with some chat commands not working. It was a simple fix so I went ahead and updated it at the end of the day, 6pm West coast time. I'm actually not entirely sure what went wrong and why it kept restarting, but was able to stop it. Unfortunately I didn't notice it for an hour.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:20 pm

I work in IT and know how things like that can happen. The minor change or simple fix that shouldnt cause problems seems to be what causes the outages when they do occur.

At least there is a reason, as it means the problem is under control and isn't likely to happen at some random moment to come.

Oh well... there certainly are bigger problems out there. :twisted:
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."