Rated Room

onystaeeda
Active Poster

Rated Room

Post by onystaeeda » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:42 pm

I spoke with Jonas in smoots today and I asked could we have a room for established 1500 raters where both shoot and no shoot singles and pard games could be played, he seemed interested in this idea, he said possibly, depends on volume of players So if volume of players necessitates, we will add rooms. I feel that many as I do would like to play against skilled players, this make's the games more enjoyable, in the same way new people would see this room and find if they upgrade to full paid version they can come to this room and play once they are established 20 games with a rating of 1500.
I would like if any other players feel that this is a good idea and if you would like a room like this please comment in the forum and we can see if enough agree, maybe a new room will be added.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Re: Rated Room

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:23 am

Well I hardly see the need for another room, You can play any game type in Maid Marys or Gnomes and could set the game to no one under 1500 which would eliminate nonestablised also. My thoughts is It would just be another unused room.

onystaeeda
Active Poster

Post by onystaeeda » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Bryan my point was to have a room where some of the current players who have higher rated nics could come and play against higher skilled players, with a choice of shoot or no shoot options. Don't you like a more challenging game against good players and not just 1300 or 1400 rated established?

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Guess I am not understanding the need for a different room either. If you don't want to play established players with ratings under 1500, just set a table in smoots (shoot) or wizards domain (no shoot) with the V rating and 1500+. You can even set with the V rating and 1600+ if you qualify and wish to do so. It then doesnt matter who is in the room, they can't join your game if they don't qualify.

Two rooms work for the shoot/no shoot option because you either fall into one camp or the other. So many possible combinations of tables exist though with rated/not rated, and min rating level or everyone can join, etc. What you don't want to have is to have half of the players you would want to have join your game not see your table because they aren't even in your room. The more players there are in the room, the better, IMHO.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Mr 3000 Nics
Active Poster

Post by Mr 3000 Nics » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:40 pm

I think what Dee is saying is that alot more players with 1500 plus nics choose to play no shoot games because there are more people playing in wizards with better ratings because it's easier to pass your crud and dump and duck then play with any skill.So any of the better players who use to play shoot games in smoots are now forced to either play in Wizard's or wait an hour in Smoot's for a game playing 1500,1600 or better rated games.I understand Dee 100%.But personally i don't think making a 1500 is the answer.I am on pretty much every night EST so i am on when the bulk of the players play on hearts.Not one time in months have i seen more then 300 people on hearts at 1 time.Most of the better players have stopped playing on Hardwood now since the room split for the reason that it's very difficult to get a game in Smoot's using high rated nics set for higher rated games.I set a 1700 game in smoot's the other night and waited over 2 hours and no one came so i was forced to use a lower nic and play players that were not very "skillful" to be nice.I can name off the top of my head 20 of the better players who just don't play anymore due to this.I honestly hope that Jonas will make the decision that there are not 300 players ever anymore on hearts at one time and will put it back to 1 room again to make this site alot funner again.Alot of no shoot players would play shoot games if the games are available without having to switch rooms and vise versa.Let us be ONE again!
And That's The Bottom Line cause the bald guy with white sideburns SAYS SO ... just ask Sandbar hehe...

PrincessReverse
Noob

Post by PrincessReverse » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:53 pm

I think it's an interesting idea :wink:! HH has few rooms to spare (International or Gnome's Glen), why not give it a try. Personally I would like to find more good partners and this room will give us all an opportunity to do so. Also, I miss the no shoot and shoot games being in the same room :!:
With that said, why not make a reverse hearts room :lol: ...make a use of those empty rooms and see what happens :idea:

VeSyY
Active Poster

Post by VeSyY » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:42 pm

I have been a long time player here, and since the split rooms I have lost many of my friends because they don't like the split rooms, Dee's idea is good, because we want to play good skilled games,seems like asking for a room this way we can get those players to playing again in time.
Or we need smoots to be like it was when I first joined, let all games be there, you can still have wiz no shoot
you can still have wiz no shoot room if to many upgrade to full version, we all want more players to play against, but the split room really hurt this site
so if we can't have a new room, then please make smoots like it was before and keep wiz for the over flow!

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:19 am

Well I would agree that I prefered the 1 room like it was before, because I like to play either game type also and getting a game in smoots is excruciatingly difficult unless you want to play straight hearts ( no spot, no Jack, game to 100, Established only ) which is what is played 95% of the time in Smoots. But I don't think another room is the answer because like I said Gnomes and Maid Marys could be used that way now, they both will let you play shoot and no shoot :spade: So if we want 1 room lets all just start playing in 1 of those rooms. :spade: If we Build it they will come :D

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:43 am

I think people tend to go where people are... so I think you are right that it has to be a grass roots effort where people decide to go there en masse. A designiation by SCE on the use of a room is not enough sometimes (though smoots vs wizard domain for shoot or no shoot worked). Might take people posting in the lobbies of smoot and wiz domain for a few days come on over to X room for playing x kind of game to build a critical base and see if you have critical mass.

I noticed that the unmoderated Dark Horse rooms get almost no use. Those who might enjoy the freedom of that room don't go because no one is in Dark Horse to play. Though I do have a theory that those who want complete freedom of speech still love to complain to the guides how Elly is stalking them and Ol Buck touched me! They won't be heard in Dark Horse.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Not in dark Horse, I will curse now and then but there are people who think language has to have the f word every 3rd word and I do not want to put up with that. How bout we each tell are friends to start playing in Gnomes Glen, if there are 30 or 40 of us in there other people are going to check it out, and before you know it we might have a super popular room.

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:45 am

I don't care if another room is set up for this I am not for or against it at this point, these things are solely up to admin, so don't take this that way, or as a negative response to the request. I'd have to look at numbers of games in the rooms first for pards only which I haven't done yet and I can assure you that Admin certainly will before they start adding "certain" rooms to the mix, but I cannot COUNT the im's and complaints I get from pard players about having to wait for games, can't get players, etc....This is common for me to hear. This is only with "rated game" set on the join rules many times not for certain ratings. Do ya'll think that is gonna solve that problem??? I really don't, and I understand the wanting to play high raters if you are high rated, but you can SET where you for 50 +/-, so I can't logically see a need for a "higher rated room" :(

You guys may try just experimenting with this on your own by going to gnomes or maid mary's where all options are available and see how it goes as was suggested here.

Just another thought to add, not saying I personally want it one way or the other. LOL, I just guide here, and I can guide in one room as easy as I can another! Remember to watch what you ask for... while these things SOUND good, whether they will BE good for you or not remains to be seen, and I don't even know if Jonas would be interested in redoing the rooms to begin with as that is a pretty big deal on his end to have to do.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:03 am

I don't think adding another room will solve anything other than dividing players more.

Yes it was great to have one room for all but that is not possible when the number gets over a certain number of players and if you were here when you couldn't get into the main room because it was full.... it was rather a not nice experience. The arguement can be made that there are not 300 players all the time or even most of the time but be that few that are left out of the loop when it does and it pretty much sucks.

So we have what we have and by adding another room will not resolve the problem being that there are already unused rooms and that is my opinion. There is no reason you can't do the same in one os those rooms.

Some say get rid of rating, than play or use MM where it is social games and set only those games...

Some want only 1500 and below set your games settings that way or as some do kick players that don't fall within your parameters...

Some only want 1500 and above... the same solution....

Some want to be able to play shoot or no shoot... 2 clicks away no matter what room your in... or use one of the other rooms that allow that.....

Some want extra cheese.... sorry that isn't an option...

JUST DUST

PS - you can't please everyone and I don't expect it either, I would like a personal bartender or massage while playing but that too is not an option.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Mr 3000 Nics
Active Poster

Post by Mr 3000 Nics » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:32 am

Well having a personsal bartender or massage while playing could be on option depending on what mood the wife is in !! :D
And That's The Bottom Line cause the bald guy with white sideburns SAYS SO ... just ask Sandbar hehe...

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:55 pm

LOL

JUST DUST

PS - Mrs. Ogre doesn't like cards except for UNO and Spoons... ok she does like Phase 10
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

onystaeeda
Active Poster

Post by onystaeeda » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm

I see players giving idea's and comments and this is good, because it does show that players really don't like the split rooms, as Cher said she has gotten IM's and complaints from pard players trying to get a game and how long we have to wait...... doesn't mean we have set the table to such a high rated number, we just don't get enough players in smoots now because so many go to wiz ( no shoot duck and dump )............My reason for a new room was because I felt that The Office won't bring smoots back to where it was when we "all" started playing.
Yes I remember when to many couldn't get in smoots the room was full, and during that time there was times that players was getting froze in the lobby couldn't leave, but now so many go to no shoot room and if that's all they want to play they have their room, and it gives even new players who play now without a trial period in hearts " might I say back when us older players was on trial " we didn't have this option we had 30 days to pay or play 1 game a day.
So how hard would it be to allow both shoot and no shoot back in smoots you still have a no shoot room? You took the time to build a new version of the game it allow's anyone to play as a "player needs to upgrade" so how hard would it be to change smoots back?.........You see even those that play in no shoot room say they left smoots couldn't get a game of pards?They didn't want to wait 30 mins to a hour for a game.