Rated Room

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Shoot and no shoot together again in smoots

Post by Jonas » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:58 am

Okay, we're trying the Unified Smoots room again ,and we'll see how it goes. If we have issue with too many folks (which has both technical and behavioral components), I may bring back No Shoot Wizards back.

onystaeeda
Active Poster

Re: Rated Room

Post by onystaeeda » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:46 pm

Thank you so much for doing this for the players, as you saw many expressed how happy they was to have smoots back as it was before the split rooms.........I saw so many people telling others in smoots today how glad they was to see old friends again.
I didn't think my posting on this topic would work, but you listened.......and you also found a good way to handle over flow to reopen wiz and keep smoots shoot and no shoot.
I would encourage everyone who made a comment under this topic to take the time and Thank Jonas for bring our friends back together in one room.

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:03 pm

I guess suggestions do work. The rooms have been combined into one once again.
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

Mr 3000 Nics
Active Poster

Post by Mr 3000 Nics » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:26 pm

I would personally like to take a few moments to thank Jonas from the bottom of my heart ( no pun intented :lol: ) for reuniting us back to 1 room again!!!! I know that alot more players will return to Hardwood Hearts once again and that games will now be alot faster to get and it will definately be alot easier to get higher rated games to play!! Thank you Jonas :!:
And That's The Bottom Line cause the bald guy with white sideburns SAYS SO ... just ask Sandbar hehe...

PrincessReverse
Noob

Post by PrincessReverse » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:35 pm

:D :D Ty soooo much Jonas!!! :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:13 pm

I is Happy Too

luvcookies
Guide

Post by luvcookies » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:41 pm

ty so much jonas you the man seem peeps like it

ty luvcookies :D

VeSyY
Active Poster

Post by VeSyY » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Ty so much Jonas! now we all happy all friends again together!...... :heart:

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:37 pm

I think that's a good move and can we set the number of players in the room capacity higher?

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:41 am

I didn't think this was the original request... to consolidate back into one room in hearts. I understood the reason for the split was because we were frequently hitting the 300 player limit in smoots. Yesterday I heard there were 280+ in the afternoon, so I am wondering if we will be back to where we can't enter the room again.

Other than splitting shoot/no-shoot, how shall we resolve this problem?
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

luvcookies
Guide

Post by luvcookies » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:15 am

sailing my understanding which i was in there with jonas and gromph when the other room went down and they took the bunny avitar away which is my favorite the room is increased to 400 and they bought the avitar back i think once people get use to it they be fine once it hits 400 dont know lol

luvcookies :D

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:00 am

I think its a good move to, i am deligted to see so many happy faces around...thank's Jonas .

tech_ceo
Noob

Post by tech_ceo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:55 am

OK, let me play devil's advocate here.

[Sorry, this is very long!. Not sure what happened. Intended a brief comment, and it somehow exploded...]

The test of re-combing the two main rooms is being done with great intention, (to resolve the issue of shoot players waiting too long for games), but will it really achieve that? Based on the first day, yes smoots is much busier of course, but players are generally still playing their preferred game (shoot, or no-shoot). So now we have everyone in one place, making for a crowded lobby and game-list, but my guess is that shoot-players will still wait the same time for games in the long run. At first, sure a few no-shoot players may jump into a shoot game (either by choice or inadvertently) but once the dust settles, they will play the type of game they prefer. After all, with separate rooms, they could always go over to smoot if the want a shoot game.

Yes, it is a fact that people will go where they see others. However, there has to be some criteria on which we split rooms up to avoid overcrowding, and shoot/no-shoot may make the most sense because it's a clear division among players. In other words, if there are two identical rooms and one has 50 players and the other 200 players, most people entering will go into the 200 player room. So if all rooms are the same, we always end up with one single, overcrowded room. So we must establish some sort of division; shoot/no-shoot, rated/unrated, pard/single?... which makes the most sense and will give us the most even division?

The problem with most criteria on which we can divide the rooms is that it may be too vague, and if it's not a clear preference, we again end up with everyone following the heard into the same room. Shoot/No-shoot, on the other hand seems to be a clear preference. Most people will not join a room just because there are more players, if the game type is not the one they prefer to play.

In addition to the simple need to split the rooms on some basis, let us not forget one of the main reasons for splitting on shoot-rules in the first place; it significantly helps prevent rule-associated confusion, especially with newer players. I'm sure that back before the rooms were split, there were just as many complaints from players about game rules as there are now from frustrated smoot players waiting for games.

Dust hit the nail on the head with "You can't please everyone...", and I don't envy admin in having to make this decision.

So with rooms again combined, we have forced all the no-shoot players back into smoots, but they are still playing no-shoot games for the most part, which doesn't help the shoot players, aside from perhaps giving them a lot more chat to read while they wait. The problem is not really fixed, and on top of that we have all the associated crowding problems. Furthermore, this would seem to make it harder for guides to police, for a number of reasons including: 1. Increased chat volume and game list make it harder to monitor, 2. More repeat explanations to new players, instead of simply telling them "Room A is for shoot, Room B is no-shoot".

[NOTE for Jonas: as if you need more "feedback" right now :D :idea: The ability to undock the chat window from the main game window be a huge help in a busy room, especially for guides. We waste a lot of pixels unnecessarily in the game-list when stretched or full-screen. With an undocked chat window, preferably outside the main game, we can make much better use of resources, and even better for those running dual monitors ]

In any event, it is apparent that we do need to divide players into more than one room under the current format, and they are not going to divide themselves, the question is how should they be divided. That being the case, I would agrue for shoot/no-shoot. I'm sure a great deal of thought went into this back at the time the rooms were split. Now we have some different problems that may have been an unfortunate side-effect of that change. That said, I don't believe that the number of people playing shoot was affected "directly" by splitting the rooms. People will play the game type they want, regardless of the the room. Many on this thread have pointed out that former smoot players are no longer playing "because" of the room split, but is that really because the "game-types" were split, or because the smoot lobby became more boring after 2/3 of the players went to a different room? That, in turn, created additional attrition among players that want to play shoot, but also don't want to wait around in a boring lobby for more players... snowball affect, etc.

It's a but ironic that former players are claiming they are not returning because "there is nobody to play", and yet their absence is, in fact, adding to that very problem. Someone should send and email out to all of them at once, requesting they all come back (perhaps on a specific day), in an effort to break the cycle. If they come, and there are players, they will return... according to their own stated reasoning.

Finally, this problem should work itself out over a period of time. Players are always leaving, and new players are always coming, and with the new freeware-type pricing model, the numbers are bound to shoot up over the next several months. This will result in an increase in player volume to all the main rooms, and we already have a volume that is borderline capacity for one room during peak hours.
90% of problems and dilemmas are laughably insignificant when put into perspective.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:29 am

Very well said and reasoned, tech_ceo.

I agree with you for the reasons you gave, but you said it much better than I could have.

I do not advocate quickly changing anything now, but if the current situation feels more painful to players than the split rooms, then I cannot think of a better way to split rooms than shoot/no-shoot.

I also think combining the rooms was a better choice than creating a third room just for high rated players.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

onystaeeda
Active Poster

Post by onystaeeda » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:01 am

Did any of you read where I said "My reason for a new room was because I felt that The Office won't bring smoots back to where it was when we "all" started playing."

I feel most of the chat questions being asked now in smoots has a lot to do with the new version, yes I see those complaining about the joined room, Jonas already said the new servers are able to have up to 400 in a room, he also said in his post if needed he can open wiz no shoot room back. So your comments about if to many he already has that problem covered.
I use to go to wiz at night and I saw so many complaining about this and that, don't you think the office read's all the reports filed by the guides?..............when the guide has to take action they must file a report. And I'm sure most of the complaining other than needed help with the new version it's those same players from the no shoot in smoots now.
The reason the split rooms happened the servers could only hold so many players, it wasn't that people didn't like a joined room, now the servers are here in action.
Your still allowed to play any format you want, and many people show how much they like seeing old friends.
And as far as players that left and went to no shoot they was tired of waiting for a game in smoots, I have already played in the last 2 days with friends who went to wiz but are happy to come back to smoots as it was in the beginning 8 years ago, so those who wasn't here the extra games and chat wasn't a problem then, the server's have changed.