No Shoot Room

7MUDD7
Noob

No Shoot Room

Post by 7MUDD7 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Please bring back the no shoot room. the lobby is too crowded and too hard to search for a no shoot game. the lobby schroll by too fast to read the game stats.
Also if you start a new game you end up being schrolled out of view of the lobby window
Bring back the No Shoot Room PLEASE
5 kids are a joy and Hearts help make it that way

larryboy1956
Guide

Re: No Shoot Room

Post by larryboy1956 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:51 am

It was a good thing the no shoot rom and by the same token, why not a social room, a rated room and a lowman room cause most of the time, if you dont play lowman, you get insulted.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:22 am

I have seen good arguments for all sides posted here. In my opinion the best solution would be to have one room but add a feature to only display certain types of rooms if you wish. That way, if you don't mind playing despite the shoot/no shoot option or rated/unrated or any other filtering criteria possible, you can see all games or just those you want to see.

Segregating rooms by game type has proven to increase wait times for games and splits the "community". It is a necessity only when the room occupancy reaches the limit and the fire marshal is called to clear people out.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:24 pm

A game filter does seem like the best answer to me also, call of duty use's it to filter different game types and it works great. A filter that would filter out say Partner games, shoot games/no shoot games, spot hearts/nospot Cut Deck ( would always be filtered out by me ) ect. ect. I think that would work good.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Just wondering here but if you had the games all filtered out, what is the point of being in the same room? I know when they started breaking up spades we found that, when they were all in the same room, if one of our friends wanted a 4th for pards but we usually played singles we would hop in and play, or if someone wanted to play mirrors regular spades players would alot of times play a game or two for fun and to fill out the table.

If you couldn't see those games how would that work?

Just currious

I am woman I am strong

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:54 pm

If it worked like call of duty you would have a list of different game types and any type that you didn't like to play you would put a check mark by and those game types would not show up. I hope that is what you are asking GrandmaS

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:26 am

Having a filter and being in the same room makes sense because everyone can change the filter on the fly. Those who don't care about type will see everything and can jump into a no shoot game even if the other players at that table have filtered to show only no shoots. And you still see everyone who is in the room in the player list... you just don't see their tables on the table panel if you have chosen to filter the list. This beats having separate rooms and it beats having to scroll through so many tables looking for one set to your liking.

If your friend joins the room and you want to play you can always change the filter or remove it to see the tables he/she is likely to play. You can also see if your friend joins a table because they turn black on the player list, and you can see what table # they joined even if you don't see that table on the table list.

Of course that brings up that it would be easier to see if your friends are in there if you had a friends window that lists anyone on your friends list who is there.... another good enhancement someone suggested. Maybe your friends list can be populated if they are signed in regardless of whether they are in your room or not.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:29 am

yep i know what marsh mean's, i am admin on 6 bf2 server's.
what he means is its a kinda safety measure, to stop folk joining "wrong game's", there could be a general option screen like the lobby tab to file a report, except when ya click it, a screen will pop up with options and boxes to filter out.

a screen will pop up with all the options in a list grandma, with empty boxes next to them and to filter out what you didnt want to play ya put a check in a box next to it and it would disappear off the games list, ie, if you like ns but not shoot but like jod, you would check the shoot box and leave everything else unchecked, so when you hit referesh, all the shoot games will disappear from the games open list above the chat.
You could still join those games if a friend asked you to join, you just re click the filter "button" re uncheck shoot and the then hit freresh again and hey presto all the shoot games will show again.

If its workable i think its a good idea, i have been following this, i think its a much better option than splitting the rooms again.
if ya host ur own games in hw, when u click host game you will see a mini version of this screen for the host to select the options , i think what they are saying, that a general one for the folk that join games, to filter out the games they dont want to join in options in the lobby for joiners not hoster's , so they dont join the wrong game in a hurry .

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:22 pm

Yes i think the filter would be far better than splitting the rooms again. Just make it so I can filter out cut deck games LOL

traceyr
Active Poster

Post by traceyr » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:47 am

I was, and still am, a fan of the split rooms. I found a noticeable lack of whiners, comparatively speaking, when it was just a no shoot room. No disrespect to all the good players who like to shoot!

But, the filter discussed here sounds like a decent alternative, if it does work.