lowman hearts room

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Re: lowman hearts room

Post by U.S. Marshall » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:06 pm

Well as far as adding another room I must say, It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It. But what jonas said about changing the rating system for pards and singles ( I definately think something is screwy in the points system for pards ) Yes please have a look at it.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:10 pm

I totally agree with the separation of pards and singles ratings.

This that Maggie has requested would be a room variation, one winner and I would guess a different rating system since winner takes all the other 3 lose according to their ratings upon entering the game and the rating of the evential winner... or it could be simple math 12 points for winning 4 points each for lossing (or some variation of). Call it lowman rating.

The only way to really separate a game of "lowman" from any other game is no reward for any place other than first. There would be no pards games and my opinion no JoD but it might make the room attractive to more players. It would be a room of a mindset on how the game should be played.

I do think it may be worth the try in that it would attrack players that have left for this very reason and bring in others that play ONLY this type of game, besides the side benefit of the constant fight about dumpers and lowman games not being lowman games. It could ease some of the main arguments I have seen over the years.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Hmmmm, I read all of this again and now I have to wonder, If you have two ratings, Say 1550 in Singles Play and 1750 in Pards play how much more confusion and arguments that will cause. I will be the 1st to admit that I started playing pards because I got sick of people dumping for 2nd or 3rd in singles play, where in pards it is always 1st or last no inbetween. So now on second thought maybe a lowman room for singles play isn't such a bad idea but I would leave the options open for spot hearts, JOD, no shoot or shoot, straight hearts no JOD so people could set the game they like, some people like straight hearts some like spot hearts, some like JOD some hate JOD. As far as splitting the ratings for pards and singles games I don't think I would like 2 ratings but then I never like change much.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:47 am

But I do have to ask and I will use my current profile as a example see below

Rating: 1706

1st: 427 2nd: 383 3rd: 327 4th: 375

Team: 1st: 1285 2nd: 646

OK if you split the ratings where will I be at with a singles rating based on my current rating and where will I be at with a pards rating based on my current rating.

If everyone is set back to 1500 on both or 1 there will be a uproar and I would be as loud as the loudest.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:41 pm

LOL, it's been done before when the rating system was changed, yep people were upset but most found it wasn't hard to recover.

Perhaps they could find a formula to use to reset the ratings with the present rating and the number games played won and lost in each catagory which may lower it for singles and raise it for pards and even the opposite. Maybe they just take your rating and that is your start point on both singles and pards.

I play mostly singles games and do get into pards games in long strings here and there and if I had to deal with a reset... so be it to get the rating separated.

JUST DUST

PS - One reason i do like singles is I have nobody to blame but myself if I lose, not that I would ever blame my pard in anger in the lobby or the game, that's just not me. Everyone has 'Brain Ferts"
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

maggiemae41

Post by maggiemae41 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Although I do appreciate the chat about pards and singles.....we are getting a little off topic here. Lowman is a game based on 3 people banding together to get the lowman. Lowman takes all, as he is the only winner. He is the only one who gets rated. Its the way I learned the game. I have never ever played it for second or third place. second third and fourth ALL LOSE.

Mr 3000 Nics
Active Poster

Post by Mr 3000 Nics » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:09 pm

I'm just wondering myself how much a "lowman" only room would really help? I'll just give a brief example: If the 2nd place player was say 1 point anyway from "lowman" and the 3rd place player had honestly no choice but to dump q on 4th in the last hand due to last spade in their hand and the 4th played their last spade and it was an ace or king or just on the last play alone and 4th ate the q and earlier that same hand lets say that they had the "chance" to hit lowman with the q because 4th place played the 3 of clubs then 2nd place played the 5 of clubs and the 4 of clubs was already played but the 3rd place person couldn't remember it is was or even if "lowman" had any clubs left at all but they did have a higher one , there would still be name calling and volgur language used towards that person from the 2nd place player and possibly the 4th place player too and you all know it!! People get very anger no matter what the rules of the game are and even thou yes a "lowman" room might help get a few more players playing for "lowman" more often it won't stop the name calling or swearing i think it would make it worse for the reason that at least 2nd place gets a couple points in the game so they are still happy only the 3rd of 4th place player are generally the ones that do the bulk of the name calling and swearing.So rather then 2 people calling someone names it is only 1 person that generally does this.So i got an idea , heck why don't we make a "Nice" room where everyone has to be nice to each other LOL ... like that would ever happen :lol: I agree with Mod that on the whole there are not as many "skilled" players as there are "skilled" players but not everyone can count all 52 cards, not everyone has the capability to play a high standard of a game.If you want a "lowman" game then set for high rated game you will be surprised unlike alot of people think that the higher rated game you set the better your chance of a true "lowman" game can be found.ANd i also agree with Mod on another point ( something i mentioned in a post before ) i can play with the best at both "lowman" and "cut throat" and any good player can, just like a chameleon changes their colors to suit the enviroment they are in so does a good hearts player change to whatever kind of game they are in.
PS : If Jonas makes my "Nice" room and you are not nice then you get silenced for 25,000 days and 1 hour :lol:
And That's The Bottom Line cause the bald guy with white sideburns SAYS SO ... just ask Sandbar hehe...

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 pm

No such thing as "NICE" and "HEARTS"... sorry just the nature of the game... LOL

JUST DUST

PS - There can only be one......

dadiomac
Active Poster

Post by dadiomac » Mon May 11, 2009 7:04 am

This is definately the best thread I have read on here in a long time. I would love to see a low man option for singles games. Please let there only be one true winner in a game of hearts. It's the right thing to do! I feel that there would be less argueing and better games if only 1st place was awarded and thats it.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Mon May 11, 2009 9:56 am

I also suspect that there would still be arguing because someone dumped the queen either cause they don't count, can't count or other reasons. So the arguing and fighting will still go on. To put it bluntly the skilled players are going to play for the win ( 1st ) which means hitting lowman and the less skilled players are going to dump when they get nervous holding point cards, I seriously doubt a new room ( for lowman players ) would make any difference what so ever.

dadiomac
Active Poster

Post by dadiomac » Mon May 11, 2009 12:31 pm

a new room may not be the answer and and the argueing in hearts will always be present.... however the true nature of the game is one winner and hit lowman until the game is over. Just having the option to choose a lowman game would give players the insentive to not sell out for 2nd or third place and to play the game to win not almost win.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Mon May 11, 2009 1:42 pm

In a lowman room where only 1st wins, you will see more whining about people throwing games to allow someone else to win.

My prediction.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

dadiomac
Active Poster

Post by dadiomac » Mon May 11, 2009 1:45 pm

players argueing about someone throwing a game just to let another person win will happen far less than someone selling out so they can finish 2nd or 3rd.