New rating system?

Honor of Ono

New rating system?

Post by Honor of Ono » Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Jonas, I think you made a post earlier mentioning that you guys were working on creating a new ratings system. Is this true and when could we expect a timelime frame for this to be implemented? Personally, I think this a great idea, and can really improve Hardwood. My main problems with the current rating system is the advantage pards has over singles, which I mentioned earlier, and how some players have ratings of 1900-2000+ because of the old rating system. I understand ratings aren't everything, but it sure would be nice to have an even playing field and see who can really come out on top. I think the battle for "top spot" would be really cool and add to the experience here playing hearts.

Cheers!

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Re: New rating system?

Post by U.S. Marshall » Mon May 18, 2009 4:23 pm

I personally don't think that there is a rating advantage pards VS Singles, The 1 major difference is that in pards you either play for 1st or you lose.

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Tue May 19, 2009 4:05 am

U.S. Marshall wrote:I personally don't think that there is a rating advantage pards VS Singles, The 1 major difference is that in pards you either play for 1st or you lose.
I have to totally disagree with you here on this one Marshall. Just look at the difference in ratings of anyone who plays singles vs. pards. You yourself had posted earlier that if you separated your singles and pards ratings, there would be a large gap between the two? How many top rated players have been able to do it in singles alone? To me, that's the sign of a truly skilled hearts player.
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

Mr 3000 Nics
Active Poster

Post by Mr 3000 Nics » Tue May 19, 2009 4:00 pm

To be honest who cares about existing rating? People paid their money for this game and have the right to keep their ratings they earned! Yes i agree that rating in the original rating system are way higher then they would be with those stats they have in today's rating system and yes i laugh my butt off when they come into hearts and think they are so goooooood because they have these rating that they can never reach with today's rating system but who cares really.Back in those days when they got these ratings, everyone else had the same chance to get them too so back then those ratings were the norm.So why should they be punished for being long time hearts players on hardwood by stripping them of their ratings on those old nics? They are the the people who started to make hardwood hearts what the site is today , they are some of the first players here and helped this site to grow to what it is today, so now we should say thank you for being the first group of players to buy hearts and to play on hearts and to help this site grow but now we are taking your ratings away ... that's ridiculious.They have every right to have them.As for myself i have a few nics over 1800 my highest being 1847 and yes in pards( my nic has a 54-2 record ) and i worked very hard and played with alot of passion and intelligence to get them so i should have my rating taken away even thou my nics are in today's rating system? Man if i had this nic back in the old rating system days my rating would be 4000 or better and i would log into hearts with it proudly!! My point is if you had high rated nics you would not want to give up the ratings you had and you can't tell me fairytales otherwise.You don't have high rated nics so you want Jonas to put everyone back on an "even" playing field as you said.I have plenty of nics over 1700 that are just singles and there are alot of other players that have high rated nics on just singles.Most of the players with 1900-2100 rated nics are singles nics just from old rating system. My point is i personally don't see a difference in adding together ratings from pard games and singles games and keeping them seperate to be honest but if this was to happen then all players on here that purchased this game should absolutely be able to keep their old nics with their original ratings that we have played for years and played at a very high level to obtain.If some new rating system comes into effect then only newly created nics should be on this new rating system not punish those who have supported this site for years and some since its conception!!!!!!
And That's The Bottom Line cause the bald guy with white sideburns SAYS SO ... just ask Sandbar hehe...

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Tue May 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Well said Mr. 3000 Nics I totally agrre with you on that.

Lace, I think I questioned what the ratings would be if they seperated pard ratings from singles ratings. I had my Marshall Nic over 1700 a few times before I ever started playing pards so I was concerned that HW would zap me with a low singles rating because I play mostly pards now.

A new rating system won't kill anyone but I think it would be unfair to set everyone back to the same level since we have worked to get our ratings where they are, 1 or 2 nics sure would be easy enough to recover but ( I didn't actually count but am guessing ) I have 15 nics and only 3 are under 1600 and thats a lot of recovering. Mr. 3000 Nics would have to play nonstop for 3 years to recover :P