Needs Upgrade Players

grandmaS
Grand Master

Re: Needs Upgrade Players

Post by grandmaS » Sat May 23, 2009 10:12 am

Just asking, can you guys not set your games for like 1500 + or - so you can get only players that fall into that range?

I am woman I am strong

Mr 3000 Nics
Active Poster

Post by Mr 3000 Nics » Sat May 23, 2009 10:28 am

Sure we can Grandma but if you read the whole post i stated that in the " off hours " or when establishing a new nic or both oviously 1 must set for an "anybody" game.So it would be a good idea to do what i asked Jonas if he could do by allowing others to see the upgrade players rating.Is that so wrong to ask? I think it's a fair question. Or do what i seen someone else suggest in another post( thou it slips my mind which 1 ) but to take off the 20 games to establish a nic then we can always set for a 1500 game right away upon making a new nic unless that player falls into the Needs Upgrade Catagory.
And That's The Bottom Line cause the bald guy with white sideburns SAYS SO ... just ask Sandbar hehe...

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat May 23, 2009 5:13 pm

I haven't said anything here mainly because most of the time I don't really care the ratings... but I can see the point that 3000 and dillion have taken and it should be an easy fix and really does it matter if that is shown on a trial version player, it might make them want to join more so knowing that they will be ranked.

I personally do not kick players for any reason other than just being nasty if I host at all, most of the times I just join a game and leave if I don't like the atmosphere at the end of the game.

I can also see the other points taken, this might be a future friend... or could be a good enemy that you love to hate and welcoming them to the site could be beneficial in lots of ways.

Really 3000 don't you expect to win most of your games anyways??? Yeah so it was a 1400 or 1500, or whatever use a nic at that time that you don't care about and call it your fun nic, win or lose just have fun, if you don't find another game or kick them out if your host at the end. Sometimes I think I get some pretty good compitition from those that we don't know about an have several nics that are just for that purpose, surely you could spare 1 or 2 out of 3000 LOL.

JUST DUST

PS - Ok just make 3001 and 3002 and called them JFTHOIN... (Just For The Hell Of It Nic) and enjoy the game for what it is.... a game, don't worry about ratings and if it goes south.... reset!!! Most of mine go north and then I have to make a new fun nic LOL
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Mr 3000 Nics
Active Poster

Post by Mr 3000 Nics » Sat May 23, 2009 5:28 pm

I understand what you are saying Dust but i know there is a so called double standard when it comes to this issue of rating and i think i will be the 1st to admit it in this forum.Hardwood prides itself as being ahead of the other hearts sites or game sites due to it's rating system.I play strictly for rating and have fun along the way.I don't play for fun and get rating along the way.That's the difference in what you said.Now i know some people are going to BOO me for saying this but that is what this site prides itself on ...the Ratings. So am i wrong for playing for exactly what sets this site ahead of the rest ? Or am i the only one man enough to say it ? I like to get high ratings and as quick as possible and playing anyone 1400 or under you might be lucky enough to get a couple points for the win, i would rather get 10-20 points per win so yes i would like to know what ratings my opponents have.

P.S i never reset nics either ...... :heart:
And That's The Bottom Line cause the bald guy with white sideburns SAYS SO ... just ask Sandbar hehe...

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat May 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Oh I agree, I like the ratings also but choose when I'm playing that way or just for fun. Not everyone wants to do that and that is fine by me. I was only suggesting trying to make a couple of "just for fun nics" and you might find a game you enjoy during those "off peak times".

I do see your point about being able to see their rating even if you have to go into their profile to get it.

My fun nics I reset everytime I get to 20 games simple because I want to see what the new players are playing even if they are over 1600. I can actually play a nice relaxing game and not worry about any of it as I say... if someone P&P's me and I'm highman, so what, yes it is a unsmart move... the point is I came to relax in a quick game or 2 of hearts no worries. I find myself taking more risky Moon Shots and if I miss, oh well... bottom line is that I don't worry about lossing... yep I expect to win LOL.

When I bring an established nic it is a different story but I will set a high game or go get one of those nics when I see a game set.

JUST DUST

PS - Just a different mindset is all
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat May 23, 2009 6:57 pm

I have many times asked myself.....what do ratings mean to me.....Status Quo?.....a sign of intelligence?.......a way to be one rung higher up than the next person?.....at times I felt that way.......at first I only wanted to be rated high to play with my high rated friends.....then there for awhile I felt better than anyone else and came back down to earth realizing a high rating will not pay my mortgage lol.......

I do play for ratings and I do have many high rated nics that I enjoy "showing off" because I only play in singles in Spades......no partner.....not 3 way cut but 4 way...I have countless nics at 1700 or close to that and I will say I DO look at a players rating before I will play them......so I can see 3000's point here....and I see Dust's point as well because I have "fun" nics too.......I do win and lose gracefully and I NEVER brag or put a lower rated player down ever.....but I will honestly say ratings are important to me BUT if Silvercreek did away with the rating system I would still play here....

I have so many nics that I can never concentrate on one nic and try to get higher than 1700 as my highest is 1720 and all my nics have excellent stats to warrant the rating as well....so I can see everyones point in this thread I just dont know if there will ever be a solution that is viable for all......

I have you beat by over 2000 nics Mr 3000 Nics lol......maybe I should make the nic Mr 5000 Nics............heh
8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Sun May 24, 2009 4:33 am

Maybe you have to look at the majority of players? Most players don't create 3000 nics. They use a few and keep using them. Would it be better if Hardwood went the way of most other sites and allowed only one name? There's a very easy solution here and that is just to set your game for ESTABLISHED only. "Trial" members can not get into those games and the system itself will give them a box telling them they cannot get in instead of you having to kick the players and an all out war starting. During off hours?? This I'm not getting. Setting a game for anyone doesn't add more "paid" members to the lobby to join. If you want to fill the table faster and set to "anyone", then you have to take the risk. If you are creating a "new" nic, it should be just that...."new" and you have to start out with the masses again to build it. If your rating is based on skill, just enjoy the bigger challenge take more pride in the fact that you still got through your first 20 with a pretty good rating.

Quits/Incompletes? Again, set a blue V game and those with a high percent can't join....just like any "paid" member can't. There are quite a few of those too but doesn't seem to be an issue because they paid?????

A couple of large sites recently shut down and a LOT of new players have come over to Hardwood to try it out. With some of the nics I have been seeing and the treatment they have been getting in the games and lobby, I wouldn't blame them if they just kept looking! We all started out trial at one time or another when we entered this site. I admit it was more than just ratings that kept me here. I enjoyed the people in the lobby as much as in the games. Maybe the wiser idea would be to actually welcome these new players, get to know them, let them get to know the game..........maybe later when it's off hours, you won't have as much trouble setting a game since they have decided to stay!
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

luvcookies
Guide

Post by luvcookies » Sun May 24, 2009 4:53 am

lace i agree with you i dont care about ratings and yes people in hardwood can be nicer would they treat their family members like that i dont think so its just a phrase treat people how you would treat your parents andkids its been awful lets say can we all get along and make them feel welcome we all was new at one time

ty luvcookies :)

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sun May 24, 2009 7:06 am

It wasnt the rating system that prompted me to buy the game.....It was the fooms....and the graphics that impressed me........I avoided the lobby like the plague for a long time......... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Sun May 24, 2009 7:44 am

I see two different conversations here. One is about booting trial players because you can't see their ratings, and the other about people being rude to the trial players. Based on a prior thread, it seems most feel booting whomever you would like is not rudeness but a right and feature of the site. My question is why did you all respond to Mr 3000 nics in this way where it seems you equate his booting trial players with the lobby comments about trial members?

Let the paid members see the ratings of trial members, and don't let trial members see anyones ratings. That would help the main discussion point.

Sorry, I don't see how rudeness to trial members was a factor here.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sun May 24, 2009 9:02 am

me either sailing, me either and I'll repeat myself again I would not play Poker if I could not look at my cards to determine what chance I had and I do not want to play players whos ratings I cannot see, but I would like to play new players if I can see their ratings.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sun May 24, 2009 9:41 am

Since Lace brought it up I thought I would send this thread down another path. I personally think that there are way to many nics allowed per person maybe limiting the number of nics per account to say 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or a dozen wouldn't be a bad idea. I am as guilty as the rest in making lots of nics but it sure is hard to find your friends with everyone having so many nics.

WIST
Grand Master

Post by WIST » Sun May 24, 2009 10:02 am

U.S. Marshall wrote:but it sure is hard to find your friends with everyone having so many nics.
Umm.. maybe they don't want to be found :lol: .

As a player, i would hate to see a limiting of nics, although i would not be surpirsed to see it come about. I take great pleasure in making a new nic when the lightbulb goes on and i think of a clever play on words or just something that strikes me as hilarious. Having said that, i am discriminating and think in the almost 9 years i've been here i only have a couple hundred. Now, i sorta feel nic deprived :wink: .
for what it's worth

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sun May 24, 2009 11:30 am

I like BBQ'ed rabbit also :D

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun May 24, 2009 5:05 pm

On the nic idea..... I don't like limits, no I don't have 3000 or 5000 (LOL), maybe a hundred or 2, over 9+ years playing here but I like the idea if something strikes me as being cool for a nic I can create it (UGLY HELGA and a few others come to mind) and have fun with it in the games and lobby. Once I have reached my "limit" then I am done... naw I like being creative.

I have to say when I first came here there wasn't many players here and a few nics (maybe 6) was what I had and I went into phases of play, at first I didn't understand the rating system and what good it would do and just had fun. We had a group of players (many of those players are no longer with us) that loved to play together every night and we didn't care what our ratings were, we were there to enjoy our time together, we played lowman to the max and we had fun every night.

Second phase was when the first influx of new players came in and our numbers doubled and then tripled and we lost touch and couldn't find our selves amounst the added the players and I became a ratings play player and made more nics to get up in the sky, my games become all about winning not so much enjoying.

Third phase set in and I started playing tourney rooms and it was all about ratings in those rooms and didn't play in the main rooms much anymore except to look for players to play a ladder game. Got very involved with the T's.

Guiding was the next step, always tried to be fair but that is past, but I found myself not all about ratings again and welcoming the new players to the site and finding new friends in new people. The old friends will always be friends. The key here was that I found a new enjoyment in playing and that was playing the new players, teaching when I can the site and game play and not caring about the ratings with the new nics created for that purpose, I already know I can achieve the high ratings and it isn't what I want to do ALL the time because I found playing with the new players and the players that are new to the game more of a challenge in that I can teach them something I know very well... and I'm having fun again.

All I say here is to try it, make a couple of nics that you don't care about (let it go) and find a way to really enjoy the game and not worry about who may be joining your game or how skilled they are, you may find that it is someone that you may be able to give a part of yourself to. I still believe that giving a gift is much better than receiving one, I find a big reward in that smile when they open it.

JUST DUST

PS - Yes I do agree with Mr. 3000's request to make the ratings visible to all even though I don't agree with kicking players if you have your game set so they can join. Yes there are ways to avoid this using game settings as a tool, but I do think this could entice a new player to pursue a purchase of the game, limiting fooms and characters and such is fine.