Old Rating System Unfairness

Honor of Ono

Old Rating System Unfairness

Post by Honor of Ono » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:16 pm

I waited until today to write this post of what happened in the lobby last night, because frankly I was still pretty mad and did not want to write a post when I was in this state of mind. Here is what happened, and I am touching on a taboo subject it seems around here that no one really wants to talk about, and I have a feeling a lot of people feel the same way I do and feel it is totally unfair. In this, I am talking about the players who played in 2001 and prior, or whatever the point was before hardwood changed their rating system. This is why there is a group of players that have ratings of 2000 and 1900 that we see in the lobby , and of course they only play each other to protect these ratings because playing anyone else and if they lose would lose tremdous points off their ratings. This isn't my problem, they played here before, great, they played within the system, and if that what they wanna do all the power to them. Some even have pretty good records, and I am sure are good players. Yet yesterday, a few of them were bragging in the lobby about their ratings, and made comments of how players like us had to stick to our 1600 games like we are underneath them. I mean seriously, I cant fathom how u can brag about your rating in the 1st place and act better then other people anyways, but to make it worse u played under an entirely different rating system that allowed you to get that high in the first place. Anyways i always try and be polite and respectful and argued these points with these certain players in the lobby. I was called dumb, immature, that i simply dont get it, and a few more choice ones that I cant repeat in here, i never once made it personal nor responded with insults back I was respectful in my arguement the whole entire time, and a guide finally decloaked and warned me to end it. Fine, I respect the guide doing that, it was becoming a disruption and I realize he has a job to do. And I did not say another word, but at the same time it is very frustrating, i just feel this whole thing is very unfair. I tried to state my view on this, I hope I dont come across as "jealous" or whatever because honestly I have never said anything to these players who were under the rating system before. But when u start talking trash and act like u are a better player then us because of these certain ratings, I am sorry that angers me. I just wish Hardwood would develop a rating system that was completely fair, and the people who were the highest truly were the "best players." I know this isnt that important, ratings mean nothing in the whole grand sheme of things, but it sure would be fun trying to get to the top or be at the top, which is all im saying. I know developing a fair rating system is harder said then done too, and have heard rumors that hardwood was working on breaking in a new system, but ran into problems and had to put the idea on the back burner for awhile. But I sure would hope they do address it, I do think it is very important. Im sorry to vent, u guys can tell me if u think im way off base with this, i respect your opinions.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Re: Old Rating System Unfairness

Post by grandmaS » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Ok I am not going into the ratings one way or the other :), however I would like to Thank you very much Honor of Ono, for your well written post, and that although you are upset (not angry anymore) you stayed within the rules of the board, not naming names or trashing anyone.

:cookie: :cookie:

I am woman I am strong

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:16 pm

Personally I would rather play with the many rather than the few, I don't like to wait for hours for a game, yes if I see one I may join it if I'm not having fun in another game... and that really is the reason I play here, yes I have some of those high nics and about half of them are from before and half are from since but that doesn't matter, like I said I came here to have fun and a little compitition which I find all across the board not just ones that have a high rating.

I prefer singles over pards too...

Best to let them be who they are and ignore them, if your listening they may brag more... besides it's not about the ratings, it's more to me about won/lose record and have seen some very good records with low ratings and I know I can depend on a good game from that player.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

PrincessReverse
Noob

Post by PrincessReverse » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:57 pm

There's always gonna be rating unfairness... keepin it same or getting it higher by all means possible is priority for most ( even playin no shoot in shoot game jus to win :shock: )
Sad thing is..their ego gets ahead of them... not making it a fun game :evil:
Jus don't join what u can't handle is best way out :wink:

traceyr
Active Poster

Post by traceyr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:07 am

I guess it's yet more proof that being in a "privileged" position does not necessarily equal having much of a brain in someone's head!

Ego, yes. Brain, not by the sounds of it.

I mean, with all due respect to the game and the majority of good players, and I love playing it and everything... but really, it's just a card game on the computer, you know. If that's what it takes for some people to feel superior, well how pathetic is that, really?

Myself, I don't care about the rating one way or another. I think I've wavered between 1300 and 1600 in my time. I just take it game by game. Simple as that.

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:09 am

this is an on going thing....when ever 2 groups of certain meet up all heck breaks loose over this , and everytime it ends in personal insults, talk about whos on which drugs and so on.....the other night I was gotten OUT OF BED, to deal with this...how do you think i felt????
Everytime i see these 2 groups of opposing groups, it ends up like this, from now on ,i wont let the the convo get even that far, cos i know from experience that this will end up the same way, i dont appreciate getting got up out of bed at 3 : 30 am, i also do not appreciate people who can not discuss things ( i am not talking about one side or the other, tis both) in a mature manner without lowering to name calling or other things i have previously mentioned...when its as low as ner ner ner ner ner, i stop it, it looks pathetic.
I was here then and i dont have one of those monster ratings....i have what i am capable of getting, i am happy with being judged like that, so lets not put so much on ratings and when they were gotten, at the end of the day my opinion is this...if you have an 1800 rating, you will have a right ol trouble getting a game, cant be fun, its difficult getting a 1600 game never mind a 1700 or 1800
Have fun, forget ratings and ya never know , next time you look , you may have added 50 to them.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Mod is absolutely right it is hard to fill a 1600 or 1700 game much less 1800, 1900 or 2000. I see those higher nics on and don't worry about it, I play my games and they can play their games if they want to jump in and play me Yehaw.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:08 pm

There ya go the word I was looking for YEEHA!!! Yep lets just have some fun...

JUST DUST

PS - If your not having fun.... try spades... or euchre... or fishing....
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Honor of Ono

Post by Honor of Ono » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Well thanks for your responses, I appreciate them and I agree just have fun and dont worry about ratings. At the time I was merely frustrated with how the situation went down. I especially appreciate the kind words from grandmas, I do try and follow the rules and dont slam people or resort to insults. This is why im a bit mysitfied with Mods reposnse, by how he sees this all the time, it ends up into insults being thrown around and immature people. Well, sorry I hope u dont stereotype me in this group, I dont do that, and frankly I really dont think it is fair to be just associated with this kind of behavior merely because I have an opinion on way or another on this subject. It is dangerous in my opinion to stereotype individuals with just one big paintbrush.

I am also sorry Mod u were gotten out of bed at 330 am in the morning, but this has confused me as well. I am assuming a player in the lobby notified u, but how this is done mystifies me. I would think it would not be done through instant messenger, like aim/yahoo/msn since u were in bed, so were u called on the phone? And why do some players have access to contact u when u are offline, while others dont have this ability? Doesn't this bring into a whole other question of favortism with certain players having the right to this feature, while others do not? I mean what if for instance I have a problem with a player who are close to and is able to personally contact u when u are offline, wouldnt u much more likely take his/her side in that issue? I dont know, maybe its just me, but I find this issue and how some players can contact u kind of unfair, unless everyone is able to contact u in this manner.

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:35 pm

i was not pointing the finger at any one in particular ono, i was merely pointing out how this stuff end's up..and i will be more and more cautious every time this conversation start's, thats point one hopefully clarified to you.

Point 2...you do not know anything about me, i have daughter's in the state's , they some time's play heart's too, maybe just maybe, one of those phoned me , and as much as i would like to tell them they can not have my number, i think my wife would have something to say about that LOL.

If you ever see me showing favoritism to anyone, i would like you to send a report to support@silvercrk.com, by all mean's....i know i am not perfect, sometimes i make bad decision's with good intent too but i do not think there is anyone in the land who can shout unfair against me lol.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Everyone's perception feels like reality until a new reality sets in.

I appreciate the thoughts shared in this discussion as people may be partial to one side or the other, and I think the conclusion here is valuable.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:20 pm

You will find most guides have their msn addy in their profile, and you are welcome to add me anytime. Not giving anyone my phone number :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ........lol, I dont want to get woken up in middle of night.
Mind you, when I turn off my computer, everything goes off, msn n all, the players have the option of reporting if no guides are there. :D

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 pm

You can also PM a guide from the forum, if they are around at all they will get an email telling them they have a private message.

I have family too that plays, my brother plays backgammon and if he saw something really bad he would call me but most things he wouldnt' wake me up for he would just file a report.

I am woman I am strong

onystaeeda
Active Poster

Post by onystaeeda » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:25 am

What daughter would make a call to Europe at 3:30 am in the morning to ask their father to get out of bed because something was so serious in smoots that a report couldn't be filed? This is very odd sorry I don't get it. :?:

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:51 am

Well could be the daughter was in Europe (call to Europe would not be that unusual) and felt it was important.

And the point of the topic is not why a daughter would but that this topic has caused lots of issues in the games, to the point where it had to be stopped (at whatever time of day) by a guide.

Time to get back on topic ty

I am woman I am strong