LOWMAN ROOM

larryboy1956
Guide

LOWMAN ROOM

Post by larryboy1956 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:11 am

I really think that a lowman room is needed. I dont even play anymore with the community cause i'm affraid to get insulted. I play HEARTS and HEARTS is a dirty game where the goal is to WIN no matter what means is used to achieve this. This lowman thing must have been invented by someone who kept loosing all the time !! I would like to be able to play without having the fear of being insulted just because I want to win. Those who want to absolutely play lowman must understand that lowman is NOT in the rules. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against it if that is your bag but personally, I prefer playing the regular rules amd finding a table that is meant that way is a hell of a job.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Re: LOWMAN ROOM

Post by Sailing_Away » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:50 am

This is interesting, because as I see it if you are playing lowman you are playing to win. The criticism people have against those who dump on anyone but low is that they are playing for 2nd or 3rd because you hasten someone going out while allowing the gap between low and everyone else to grow.

I agree, though, that sometimes the criticisms can have an aire of being quite rude and anti-social (as opposed to those that may just want to teach others the virtures of playing lowman). Just as with your other post about people being rude to those who are playing for free, it's wrong that people act this way, though I have never seen any online community where you don't have a few bad apples.

As such, I must disagree with the suggestion of making a separate room for lowman games. People will play lowman or not or some variation in the middle where they play lowman but know sometimes it's best to hit high instead of taking points (and then be vulnerable to criticisms from OTHER people at the table about playing for 2nd). Separating rooms out won't make people behave better and would be a detriment to players who want more tables to choose from.

Lowman is not only not in the rules as you stated, there is no hard and fast rules as to how one should play lowman. I don't even see it being possible to make a game option (like no shoot, JOD, spot, etc) for lowman.

The best choice here is to ignore the rude people.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Another room would not do anything cause people would join it for a few days then get tired of sitting there waiting for games and end up coming back to smoots ( or smoots and wizards when the rooms were split ) Just play your own game Larry and if someone gets insulting, copy their chat and file a report, then right click on the insulting person and add them to your ignore list. Oh and make sure you tell them that you are reporting them ( maybe they'll get the idea that insults are not nice )

larryboy1956
Guide

Post by larryboy1956 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Well my preference would be a space directly beneath the game descripton in the lobby where the table host could write exactly what he or she wants. It would be easy to add that on in the game options ;-)

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:57 am

i can see only one problem with this larry, once upon a time , we had post match victory comments,, that the winner could say to the rest of the room, people could say things like, yes!! gg i am the champ better luck next time, however people abused this feature and was writing obscenity's in there, i fear leaving a blank space for hosts to add details of their own could go down the same route, however if it was a simple multiple choice...like..cut throat/low man...then maybe ....

jabez
Noob

Post by jabez » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:06 am

Understandalbe for sure...
I will try harder not to be so competitive... and watch my attitude....
I am guilty of not playing for fun sometimes.....but I hate having 2 rooms
to find people to play...Jabez

dadiomac
Active Poster

Post by dadiomac » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:49 pm

how about stop rewarding players for finishing 2nd and 3rd.... thats a much better idea than a seperate room for lowman games

Orange County Ca
Active Poster

Post by Orange County Ca » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:17 pm

I've found a pretty good system for attracting low man players of the ilk you're looking for.

I play under the nick of "No one over 1500" and I almost always host. As host I simply ban anyone player over that.

Although there are always exceptions I end up mostly with players who are not insulting - don't go off their handle - and play a reasonable low man game which I'll describe as such:

The players higher than the low scoring player try to give the Q to the low scorer. Key word is "try" of course.

I've always thought if the low scoring player has the Q s/he should try for next low but that doesn't seem to hold much traction around here. Everyone seems to think that the low rated player should dump immediately which if winning was the sole reason for the game makes perfect sense.

I play to work the tactics of getting one particular player - as described above.

The fun level has increased 100% for me which is to say the enjoyable games are not around 80+ out of a hundred.

Try it you'll like it.

Bluestar0247

Post by Bluestar0247 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:44 pm

I always try to play a Lowman game and get constant ridicule for it. I don't understand this site. You have beautiful graphics, a fair price for the game, and lots of players anytime of the day or night, but you also have some of the worst Dirty Hearts players I've ever run across. I came from the Sierra Hoyle website that closed down this Spring and people there understood Lowman and primarily played the game that way. So many people here seem to care for nothing but their rating and wining at any cost. Almost nobody chats, almost nobody uses the fooms which I think are a lot of fun. Too many people play in a grim, mean way. Jeez, lighten up. Have some fun. That's what games are for. Oh, and if you don't know the differences between Lowman Hearts, Classic Hearts, and Dirty Hearts, look them up on Google or some other search engine.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:17 pm

There are lots of nice people here but you should remember that hearts is a cut throat game. If you look at it from a bystanders standpoint, silvercrk. starts everyone at 1500 and anyone is able to reset to 1500 if their rating slips to low. So if 1500 is 0 wouldn't 1400 be a D- and 1300 be a F- and on the other end wouldn't a 1600 be a B+ and a 1700 be a A+. I sometimes have to wonder if just getting by is the norm anymore.

psunuke
Active Poster

Post by psunuke » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:03 am

There truly is no such thing possible as a low man game that is make to play only low man as per the rules. There will be situations where a player have no other choice but to dump on someone else. That being said, and I think most understand this, you are supposed to then hold until the bitter end aiming for low.

Well, what if you are in 4th place and you have counted the cards well and are 100% certain that you cannot get low and you have a few cards left and you can now get 2nd or 3rd but it is your last chance before you tram it all. Where is the benefit now for playing this true "lowman". Go farther in the hole in 4th or possible end the game? It isnt' even good for the rest of the table to go out. They cannot win. It may save you a bunch of insults by eating the points, but the only logical play is to get rid of them.

dadiomac
Active Poster

Post by dadiomac » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:43 am

there is such a thing as a lowman game.... lowman games do exist ... they are just a lot harder to find than they used to be. True hearts players have the guts to hold for low... the rest just dump to finish 2nd or 3rd!

psunuke
Active Poster

Post by psunuke » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:31 am

Once again, I'm not understood. Technically speaking there is NO such thing as a lowman game as a rule. It is not possible as it is not the game of hearts anymore. When you lose the freedom to make choices how to play your cards you are not playing the same game anymore. You may CHOOSE to play lowman whenever possible and that is your choice. All players can choose that as well, but their definition may differ from yours what concerns true LOWMAN hearts. If all agree on a definition then you will be playing what you believe is lowman hearts but then someone not playing may disagree. Not to mention there are going to be situations like the one I described which may conflict with your own definition as it may be a hinderance on all (but the leader) to play lowman when the game will end by trying to do so w/you losing.

Once again, there is no "lowman" option available becuase it can't be coded unless you want to black out certain cards for people to play, in which case it isn't hearts anymore. The same goes for NO PNP. Unless you black out the spades as an option to lead for the passer, in which case it is not truelly hears anymore, this can't be an option and really makes no sense. Intelligent, good players will know that this may not be the best option MOST (but not all) of the time. Same goes for lowman. It is almost always prescient to play that way in any particular situation, but not always.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:20 pm

In a perfect game, all four players would hit 100 points exactly at the same time playing a 100 point lowman game. I think it is well understood that there are no perfect lowman games, and sometimes a player might choose to dump the QoS if that is the only spade he is holding and it is likely to be pulled out next trick. That happens even if the four players generally are following the "rules" of lowman. There is always the random luck of the deal, and your cards may dictate a certain play at a certain time. You can only play the cards you were dealt, and let no one else play your cards for you.

Style of play is heavily influenced by the rapport and trust you have with the other three players. If you are amongst friends or players whom you respect, chances are you will have a good lowman game and give the other players the benefit of the doubt if they miss hitting lowman. if you are playing with strangers, chances are you will be suspicious of an apparent dump and change to a more cut-throat style. Of course, same happens if you know the players to be cut-throat dumpers who pass-n-pull.

Just my observation.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

psunuke
Active Poster

Post by psunuke » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Brian, you have said it. Low man is a STYLE, not a rule, and therefore not a room. You cannot ever be sure someone in a lowman room will play lowman, therefore you can't make a lowman room. Yes you can try and maybe have success in increasing the number of lowman style games, but that is the best you could do, and I suppose those less incidents of non lowman play or when people disagree over what is and isn't acceptable will result in bigger fights. That last bit is my opinion, and obvioulsy I can't know for sure.