LOWMAN ROOM

dadiomac
Active Poster

Re: LOWMAN ROOM

Post by dadiomac » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:39 pm

yes .... lowman hearts is just a style of play and their is no possible way to force people to play this style and a lowman room isn't the answer however if their could be a lowman option.,. check or uncheck the box for a lowman option just like we do for Jack of diamonds, spot hearts, alway pass etc etc. all that needs to be changed for the lowman options is the way the rankings are calculated at the end of the game. 1st place would be the only person rewarded.... as it should be their is only one winner in a game of hearts. This would always give whoever is in 2nd 3rd and last the needed incentive to hit low if at all possible.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:57 am

dadiomac wrote: all that needs to be changed for the lowman options is the way the rankings are calculated at the end of the game. .
ALL!!!!!!!!!!! Jeez all they would have to do is rewrite the entire program and reinvent the game that 95% of us are happy with the way it is set up now.

larryboy1956
Guide

Post by larryboy1956 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:26 am

Of course it's a style and I play to win so I dont abide by ...I am only looking for a way to get ris of the insults when I dont play it.

psunuke
Active Poster

Post by psunuke » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Actually, to make a different scoring where only first wins would require minimal coding effort. All that is necessary is a change of formula on exit. Some side effects are how to use this when combining to the old rating as it shows 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Now it would only be win% really that counts. I suppose separate ratings would be the easiest way to go about it or else you must have a rating system that is pretty much consistent whether you play singles with all positions or singles with only first else those ratings "whores" will only play the most advantageous game for rating.

dadiomac
Active Poster

Post by dadiomac » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:09 pm

I'm not interested in ratings at all..... i have found most often when playing against the higher rated players..... 1550 and up more times than not they will dump on high and not think twice about it.... to me a good low man game is better than a stupid rating that means nothing at the end of the day.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:25 pm

hmmmmmmm, except HW's entire site is set up so that ratings are the competition, hence higher ratings get you to the top 25

dadiomac
Active Poster

Post by dadiomac » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:01 am

so.... u get to the top 25.... and then what? some will only play others of similar ranking so they can hold on to their prestigious status of top 25..... WHO CARES! if lowman was an option then those who are looking for a lowman game could join and the ones that care more about a silly senseless ranking can choose not to participate in this style of play.... the true roots of the game of hearts is lowman play.... has anyone bothered to research the history of the game of hearts? the true style of play has been tossed out the window here in exchange for a ranking that means nothing at the end of the day! In the game of hearts there is ONE winner.... thats right ONE!!!!!! 2nd and 3rd should have ZERO relevance..... SERIOUSLY it's not rocket science.... it's common sense!

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:07 am

you entirely free to play the game style that you want no one is arguing that. But there is no way to force all players to play a certain style of playing. Saying ratings mean nothing when most of the people here strive to have high ratings is senseless, If HW threw the ratings system away and just had a site to play hearts and at the end of the game that was it and you could play another game and when it was done that would be it also, how many people do you think would come back and play when there was no objective but to win the present game you are in? I would predict that HW would close down the site within a year if that happened

dadiomac
Active Poster

Post by dadiomac » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Ratings mean nothing to me.... well it does mean a little to me however a good lowman game is more important to me than a rating.... I understand that to some people their rating is the most important and thats fine.... to each his own nobody is right and nobody is wrong... it's all opinion.

U.S. Marshall you have misunderstood me.... please re-read my posts:

I didn't say anything about forcing all players to play a certain style of playing what I said was "if their could be a lowman OPTION ... check or uncheck the box for a lowman option just like we do for Jack of diamonds, spot hearts, alway pass etc etc. all that needs to be changed for the lowman options is the way the rankings are calculated at the end of the game. 1st place would be the only person rewarded.... as it should be their is only one winner in a game of hearts. This would always give whoever is in 2nd 3rd and last the needed incentive to hit low if at all possible"

This would allow those who could care less about playing a lowman game to go about their business as usual playing hearts with nothing changed for them!

I didn't say anything at all about throwing the rating system away! in a lowmant game only first place would have an increase in their ranking. in a game where lowman option wasn't chosen the rating system would be exactly as it is today. A rating system is a must have to keep things interesting and to give players a way to gauge their current skill level.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:01 pm

well I would agree with you that if 1st was the only place that counted more people would play for 1st, Thats why I play almost all pard games anymore cause you either play for 1st or you lose. But I don't think making another rating calculation thing would be that easy, and if games played without lowman option were calculated the old way 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th I think the people playing the lowman games where only 1st got points would be getting the shaft. Its a complicated issue but maybe try playing pards you would get a lowman game there.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:51 am

larryboy1956 wrote:Of course it's a style and I play to win so I dont abide by ...I am only looking for a way to get ris of the insults when I dont play it.
I don't think you can ever get rid of insults even if you had every wishlist item you could think of. People will play and react to others' play as they see fit.

What you're looking for you can only find by getting to know which players tend to play lowman style and playing only with them. Or come online and play only with friends who aren't so likely to dump or pass-n-pull on each other.

And when you get really frustrated with your friends, click the X and have them over for drinks. :-)
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."