Ponder multiple Leaderboards, need feedback.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Ponder multiple Leaderboards, need feedback.

Post by Jonas » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:20 pm

over the years we've had folks request that we separate ratings between major game variants, say partners versus Individual.

We're going to be adding more compelling access to ratings in the form of leader boards in the game and on the website.

So my 1st question is, what variants of Hearts would you most like to see have it's own leader board?

And my second question is how should we precede, reset the ratings when we do the split or seed them with whatever your at now?

So option 1 would basically mean that everyone would start with a clean slate and would need to become rated on each new leader board.

The 2nd option would be to copy the rating you have now to each leader board as the starting point.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Re: Ponder multiple Leaderboards, need feedback.

Post by Sailing_Away » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:07 am

Hi Jonas,

It would be hard to translate the current rating into the new multiple scales, but I can see the player interest in not losing the ratings they have worked hard to achieve if they are high.

One idea would be to start everyone out at 1500 (or some common point of origin) on the new ratings, but preserve the current rating for display purposes on the player profile. Maybe it could be labeled something like "legacy rating" so that the achievement can be on display and preserved while people establish themselves under the new rating system.

It also allows for a fallback plan in case the new system is not well-accepted.

My two cents...
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:29 am

I think the obvious split in hearts would be separate leader boards for singles and partners. The top 20 that we have now has always rather been a thorn in the side. I don't think anyone can argue that many of the names on that top 20 list have gotten there by illegal means (either by help from a "friend" or even two keys).

Personally, I would rather see a fresh start for the leader board. I'd also love to see the board change more often, such as Player of the Week, etc. If a player on the board doesn't play for a week or two, they lose that spot.

Is there a way to have only ONE nic per account able to place in each category of the board?
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 am

We're planning on having a Friends view and a time based view for each leaderboard. So for example, you could look at the say the Partners leaderboard from "all time" to "last 30 days" or just your "friends"

As for the multiple accounts, there probably won't be any explicit 1 account rule (nearly impossible to enforce) but it would be somewhat implicit in the way we move forward. We for example will be moving to a system like the Hardwood Sol IV beta is using, so the stuff folks buy will be attached to each user name. Its a big change, so we'll still let folks play the current version that aren't comfortable with the new changes. But my guess is making a new name would be a free level account that would not be rated and hence help with people making 100's of names on the leaderboard.

la24philly
Active Poster

Post by la24philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:55 am

jonas is there an opportunity to test these new ideas?
your main man louie lou rocking the 3rd shift for all you full time vampires

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Well the leader board thing is kinda reversible as we plan on continuing to have a running old rating in the background in case things go south :)

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:29 am

Are we talking a separate leaderboard page or something running at the bottom of your game?
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:08 am

Lace, it would be both. The Ticker that we have in SolIV will be in the rest of the games, showing achievements, various leaderboards relating to the game your in.

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:12 pm

ok, that's what I thought. When you say you can chose between all time, last 30 days or friends....can you also give us an option to turn it off as well?
Jonas wrote: As for the multiple accounts, there probably won't be any explicit 1 account rule (nearly impossible to enforce) but it would be somewhat implicit in the way we move forward. We for example will be moving to a system like the Hardwood Sol IV beta is using, so the stuff folks buy will be attached to each user name. Its a big change, so we'll still let folks play the current version that aren't comfortable with the new changes. But my guess is making a new name would be a free level account that would not be rated and hence help with people making 100's of names on the leaderboard.
This is where I get confused. If someone choses to keep using the old version, but gets a new computer...they have to download the new version and hence could not make new nics that would be rated? Will there be a time period that folks could still download the old version as well?

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Well I read this a few days ago and thought I would let it stew and simmer for a bit. 1st I have nics just a few mind you that I have managed to get over 1800 it was not easy and my poor desk was severly abused when i would get set back :lol: so obviously I do not want to have to restart my nics. 2nd I agree with lace that there are some folks who got on the leader boards by blatant cheating and I reported them dozens of times and so did many others and several guides as well and nothing was done with them for months untill 1 made a nic sandbar2 and actually was harrassing sandy. I have been told that they are only temporarily banned and they will be back, 1 of the others is still playing but his cheat nics were upgrade nics so this seems to have slowed him down for the time being. If these blatant cheaters that only have to be watched 1 or 2 games to have no doubt about what they are doing are going to be continued to be allowed to play then I see no point in it what so ever, sorry if I sound whiny but it was fun to try for the #1 spot on the top 25 until these cheaters showed up and then when nothing was done I just said to hell with it and if that is how it will be with a new system then I will not care about the leader boards then either.

Oh and 1 other thing I forgot to add I do not want to have to reestablish all of my nics either.

Mr 3000 Nics
Active Poster

Post by Mr 3000 Nics » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:21 pm

I agree with Brian on this subject Jonas.I have many many nics with very high ratings that i have played extremely hard and with an awful lot of skill to achieve in the very many years i have been on this site.I should not lose any of my ratings on any of my nics or have to re-establish any one of them.I have been a loyal player on this site for over 10 years now and that would be nothing more then a slap in the face to me and all the veteran players that have long supported this site when not so many people knew about it.I deserve every nic i own and every rating that goes along with them and i would thank you to leave them alone.Thanks so much for your time and i emplore you to do the right thing for everyone who has the right to preserve the nics they have earned with dedication and excellence for the card game we love to play on your site!
And That's The Bottom Line cause the bald guy with white sideburns SAYS SO ... just ask Sandbar hehe...

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:26 pm

I don't think we'd do away with the historical ratings, there will likely be a overall leaderboard that would represent that data, and I think it would just continue in parallel.

The new leaderboards are what are in question.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Lace wrote: This is where I get confused. If someone choses to keep using the old version, but gets a new computer...they have to download the new version and hence could not make new nics that would be rated? Will there be a time period that folks could still download the old version as well?
From what I've heard so far, the old one will continue to be available to prior players indefinitely,like we have Hardwood Solitaire II as a download still.

la24philly
Active Poster

Post by la24philly » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Jonas, it seems the best thing to do is do a trial run. The good thing is atleast all the ratings and names people have wouldn't be lost. Jonas is their away that you could have a date for a live chat about this either in hearts or a live chat forum where we all could discuss this.
your main man louie lou rocking the 3rd shift for all you full time vampires

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:39 am

la24philly wrote:Jonas, it seems the best thing to do is do a trial run. The good thing is atleast all the ratings and names people have wouldn't be lost. Jonas is their away that you could have a date for a live chat about this either in hearts or a live chat forum where we all could discuss this.
At this point its just a matter of taking the feedback we have so far so that Dan can conciser it as we determine what we need to do database wise on a technical level.