This is from Jonas in the Spades forum.....

sandbar
Guide

This is from Jonas in the Spades forum.....

Post by sandbar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:48 pm

For those of you hearts players that dont read the Spades forum, but also you might like to drop in there and read about what changes Jonas is making. Sandy
by Jonas » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:21 am

Actually Ike, we're moving away from Monolithic payments like "by this game for " $24.95. And moving to a micros transaction model like in Hardwood Solitaire IV. The base game will likely be free or low cost.

That way one can buy what they like, and pass on what they don't like. Also much of the items will likely work across games, buy a environment or a character, and you get it for all the games that support it. The whole things is gonna be a lot different for those that choose to move forward to the new clients.

We obviously need to earn money, that's how we feed our families like anyone else. We just need to adjust to a world where monolithic payments are kinda of a bygone era and new business models like mictotransactions are proving to resonate with customers
by Jonas » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:24 am

The nature of how stuff we purchase will be attached to each account will kinda do that. People won't be apt to make 200 nicks anymore.

gecco
Noob

Re: This is from Jonas in the Spades forum.....

Post by gecco » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:42 am

Well ... I will start the ball rolling by saying that I will not "pay to play". I already paid for the application and accepted the EULA as such.

I know of others that feel the same, even if they will not publically acknowledge that in this forum.

Might I suggest looking at a model that works well in the android/iPhone market ... advertising banners. Not something obtrussive. Anyone who has used these phones knows what I am talking about.

Anyway, if HW were the only game in town, it might have strength in the monopoly. Happily, that is not the case. As I like playing Case tournaments... all one has to do is go to Case's web site and search for all the online sites that participate in the tournaments to find another place to play (including non tournaments). There are a lot.

Lastly, DQ struggled with the same issues reported here. They went down the path of "pay to play". That failed. Ultimately, they ended up terminating their online play all together. I was instrumental for getting the word out at the time to migrate players to HW. It was a good run, but looks like dejavu.

Gecco

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:44 pm

I'll then be the 1st to say, you don't have to pay to play :) I've been pretty clear to say this only relates to the new versions and that we fully intend to keep the old version running.

In fact, even with the new version we expect most folks won't pay there either as folks can play for free and not pay a nickle. You only pay for stuff you want on the new client.

We are looking at advertizing as well.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:50 am

Just a note about possible advertising. There was a pretty good game site called Uproar a few years back and a game there called Acrophobia, and when they started relying heavily on ads, the bandwidth requirements of the ads slowed down the game to an unbearable speed and even hung the game sometimes. I bet they downgraded their capacity, though not sure if that came before or after ad revenue started shrinking due to fewer people playing. It was a true death spiral as the factors all played a role on each other.

By the end, the only people on the site were getting in through the backdoor to the game itself (probably coded by the programmer who needed direct access and gave out the link), which bypassed the advertising and made the game speed acceptable. Too much load on the servers caused frequent crashes. Because no clicks went through the ads anymore, it was only a matter of time before Uproar pulled the plug.

I pass this story on because if you start collecting ad revenue, please make sure that:

1) ad revenue is not the sole or greatest source of revenue
2) create policies and standards as to the nature of the ads -> not just family-friendly though that's important, but also with regard to payload and other security concerns
3) don't give out the backdoor key, or have a procedure in place in case of programmer turnover to close it and create another.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:12 pm

Well I understand that HW needs to make money cause whats the point in doing it for free, I would sugest donations but I know that would get a few donations and then dry up. I am sure that Ads will be the only way for you to make money so I have my 2 cents for that also. If I had a choice to pay say $25.00 a year to block the ads I would gladly pay that so I would not have to see Dating Ads, Geico Ads, Progressive Ads and all of the other car insurance and dating Ads that dominate any site that uses Ads. I would rather pay a yearly fee to block the ads cause I know that you could not disallow those types of Ads since they dominate all the sites. That of course is just my idea if you could work it that way say I buy a premium Heart package every year that is ad free and the people that want it all for nothing could put up with all the ads.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:16 pm

U.S. Marshall wrote:Well I understand that HW needs to make money cause whats the point in doing it for free, I would sugest donations but I know that would get a few donations and then dry up. I am sure that Ads will be the only way for you to make money so I have my 2 cents for that also. If I had a choice to pay say $25.00 a year to block the ads I would gladly pay that so I would not have to see Dating Ads, Geico Ads, Progressive Ads and all of the other car insurance and dating Ads that dominate any site that uses Ads. I would rather pay a yearly fee to block the ads cause I know that you could not disallow those types of Ads since they dominate all the sites. That of course is just my idea if you could work it that way say I buy a premium Heart package every year that is ad free and the people that want it all for nothing could put up with all the ads.
IF we do ads, there will likely be a way to opt out like you say Marshall.

la24philly
Active Poster

Post by la24philly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Jonas, do you have a timetable or any up coming news or updates. I'm sure your getting ready to announce something.
your main man louie lou rocking the 3rd shift for all you full time vampires