multiple nics

AllenT
Noob

multiple nics

Post by AllenT » Wed May 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi all, I've been a member of this site for almost 11 years and for the most part I have enjoyed it. BUT, there is still one thing that burns me up. Multiple nicknames. There are only two reasons that I can think of for having multiple nics, One- to give your unlock code to your friends and relitives, Two- so you can leave the room and go out and come back with a different nic so you can force your way into a game where you were not wanted and blindside someone you think has wronged you. I keep a list of name that I won't play with but they have others that I don't know about and the next thing you know, their in your game making it unpleasant.
Silver creek should provide a link where we can cross refference a nic and get all the other nics associated with it. Or create a way to right click on a nic and ban him from intering your games and that ban would apply to all of their nics without knowing who is who, would also stop one from joining a game if someone is already in it that is on your ban list. It can be done, just link them by their unlock key.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Re: multiple nics

Post by Jonas » Thu May 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Well we're kinda moving away from multiple nicks in the new system which will be the bulk of our players in the future. While having multiple nics would be possible, it wouldn't probably fiscally make sense to do annoying things like you mentioned.

I'd say however the MOST of the time people make multiple nicks not to be annoying but to be expressive and play around. Sometimes its to avoid people that are bugging them, etc.

I see your point about differentiating between someones ID and their aliases. However, I find that people are smart, especially devious people:) So for instance, if we say One username per person period. We can only ID people so many ways, and players do a lot of things to hide their identity from us so they can try to get around say a restriction from the site. If they can do that, they can make extra nicks even if we say no. If we can't ID them, we can't really stop the people you probably would like to stop.

Probably the most effective way to do that would be to get EVERYONE on the new version and then every RATED game would be someone that pays to play. So there would be a fiscal incentive to not be abusive with large amounts of multiple nics. Maybe once we amass enough players that way, we could add a game setting to only allow players on the new game to play at your game so you'd be pretty confident that it was probably not an alias.

AllenT
Noob

Post by AllenT » Mon May 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Jonas, I don't think many of the older players will upgrade. Why should we upgrade to a system that we have to pay to play every year?
When I purchased my unlock key in July 2000 I was told it was for life. When do you plan to force us to upgrade? So I will know how much longer I will be on this site.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Allen I would not mind paying a yearly fee 25 of 35 dollars like a subscription because I enjoy playing here except that they do not seem to do anything about some problem players that have been constantly reported for over a year now.

I do however not like the new hearts builds and would rather just pay a subscription fee for a year and not be arsed with having to piddle with micro payments for every little thing.

niknich
Active Poster

Post by niknich » Sun May 15, 2011 4:18 pm

I wish you would reinstate the reset score button. I think what happens is that when the score of a nic gets so low - they just go and start a new nic and go forward with that. I would bet you would get a lot less new nics if this were done. What is the big deal in resetting a low score? No one plays for cash anyway - but a person does feel rather humiliated going into a table with a substandard score.

AllenT
Noob

Post by AllenT » Sun May 22, 2011 2:52 pm

I just discovered another reason for NOT having multiple nics. I was hosting a game and there was a certain player that was not welcome and he new it. He logged in with another computer so he had 2 nics in Smoots. He entered my game with the unknown nic and as soon as the cards were delt, he jumped out with the unknown nic and within a half second jumped in with the unwanted nic. At that stage there is nothing that can be done about it. I called a guide but he refused to do anything. He said I had to use the vote option. Of corse we know how that goes. If he's not stalling you can vote to kick him. I was forced to leave my own game. This would not have happened if we had a database of nics to cross refference so we know who's who.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Sun May 22, 2011 3:09 pm

There has been talk of making a friends list and a foes list so you can both find games your friends are in more easily while being able to avoid those who you wish to more easily. I would hope they would do this by account so if someone ends up on the list they can't get around it by making another nic.

Sadly, reading back through this, the problem of people making multiple nics won't go away unless they force everyone to the new version, yet if they do force, how many people will quit Hardwood? It's turning into a catch 22. Also, I have found personally that while I like using version 2 and don't mind an annual fee for all available games if it keeps the servers running and features coming, I only handcuff myself from having multiple nics, while the trouble makers have free reign forever to create a million nics, come into your room and foom the whole time etc on version 1 for free. Something kinda sucks about that.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

AllenT
Noob

Post by AllenT » Sun May 29, 2011 2:46 pm

It happened again today. Some jerk trinf to force his way into my game when he wasn't wanted. I explained to him why he was not wanted but that didn't matter. He still used multiple nice to try to force his way in. This site is going downhill fast. ever since they split Smoots then rejoined it as one. Jonas, something needs to be done about the multiple nic problem.