[server update] New features

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

[server update] New features

Post by Jonas » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:13 pm

So 10/12/11 we rolled out a server update, and I'll like to talk to you about the new features:

Features:
* Improved the Random Number generator for dealing decks.
* Improved the Ignore tool to persist. In the past when you ignored someone it would be reset if you or the other person logged off. Now it sticks.
* You can now Invite a player to come to your game. Just click on the player and choose "invite"
* Added a context menu to players names where you can like/dislike them. This helps you focus on folks you enjoy playing with by sorting how they show up in the player list as well as affecting thier ability to join games you host.

In some rooms when you host a game you can filter who is allowed to join based on the Likes/Dislikes . The join requirement filters are: (keep in mind this is from the perspective of the host)

* No one I Dislike (this is the default) So everyone BUT the players you have dislike can join. This should really help with stalkers as they can't watch your game either
* Only players I like (Plus members only/version2 clients)
* Invite only (Plus members only/version2 clients) No one game join this game, you need to manually invite them.
* Everyone.

The default will be "No one I Dislike " So what does this mean? Well it means if a player has a bad experience with a player, they can dislike them. Then if they host a game, the disliked player will see the game as being unavailable to them. It won't say why, but it will show up as an Invite only game from their point of view.

We've also brought back the ability to Reset your rating. Just click on your name and click reset rating. Now this takes you to the hardwoodgames.com page about your game statistics, but if you are on an old client you will 1st have to login to the website with your name and password from the game to proceed. Then you'll see a list of all the games you could reset your rating in.

If you haven't played a game on the Name you are using there in the last year, we might not have any data, so you'll need to play at least 1 game on that name before the reset button will be available.

Anyhow that's the stuff that comes to might at the moment, if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Re: [server update] New features

Post by U.S. Marshall » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Its probably to early to tell what I think about the invite tool but last night I got 3 invites from people I don't know and everytime the box popped up when I was typing something, interrupting what I was doing and annoying the yellow stuff out of me. I can fully well see what games are open and do not need invites to them.

This may calm down as people probably were just trying the invite tool out but if someone wanted to be a real pain in the horses behind they could use the invite to irritate people, Dan said the ignore tool would stop invites from anyone doing the inviting but if someone wants to be a pest they would probably switch nics knowing what was going on. I'll wait and see what happens but I wanted to give a heads up on this now.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:58 pm

agreed.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Great job on deploying these long-awaited and oft-asked-for features!

Also great to see them be posted on your Facebook account.... great way to get the word out!
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Mompsu
Big Poster

Post by Mompsu » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:03 pm

To reset a rating = to sign up with all of your 100000.. :cookie: Kinda freaky feature !! Or
is it cuz of to push players to create less of nicks? ;-P

And maybe there shall b an option to block the inviting tool?
Why the oldtime Players leave Hardwood.. Think about it, will ya !!!!

igottabeme
Noob

Post by igottabeme » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:25 pm

I think the new features are wonderful. Will take some getting used to for us "oldies" on here. I also think alot of players will be happy the reset button is back too.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:34 am

Not sure if there is really such a negative feeling over the invite tool or just some adjusting to the new features to be done. I had Office 2010 pushed onto my laptop yesterday and I had to figure out how to do routine things all over again. Of course, I went through this with Office 2007, Office 2003, etc.... and each time I managed somehow to become as efficient as ever.

The invite option is something other sites have had for a long time. Some players here I know played hearts on other sites before this that had this feature. Refinements might be necessary where you can select to be invited by anyone or by only those you like or by anyone *except* those you dislike (at least for those PLUS members on the version 2 client).

Giving version 2 client PLUS members more options starts to give people compelling reasons to migrate over, and it looks like this is part of the strategy.
-Brian

Mompsu
Big Poster

Post by Mompsu » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:54 am

Sailing_Away wrote: Refinements might be necessary where you can select to be invited by anyone or by only those you like or by anyone *except* those you dislike
Yes, thats it Sailing,, sometimes you just want to chat or only to chill quietly in the lobby, other than to play. Hopefully Jonas will do this lil scripting, and for all players, whether they use a new version or not. :idea:
Why the oldtime Players leave Hardwood.. Think about it, will ya !!!!

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Like I said in my post lets at least give it a while to see how all of this works out and then maybe they can iron the bugs out. I would still like to have the online page back tho if I may whine about something.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:33 pm

So how did you use the who's online page again?

Perhaps what you want out of that, we might have other features in the pipeline that might solve that.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Basicly it was a easy way to look and see everyone that was logged onto the hearts server to see if your friends were playing and also you could see if people you disliked were logged on also without actually having to log onto hearts.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Hmmm... so if on your profile page you could see if any of your likes or dislikes were on, that would at least meet some of that need. The degree to which you need to see all the others who aren't on either list would be up for debate then.

I went to the online users page as well from time to time just out of curiosity mostly. Guess I didn't use it often enough to notice when it disappeared.
-Brian

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:47 pm

well again it gos back to accounts having dozens or hundreds of Nics , the like, dislike is great once you get everyone added 1 way or another. Same with the permanent ignore , The ignore and like/dislike should apply to a entire account not just 1 nic at a time if its going to do any good.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:12 am

Regarding the hundreds or thousands of nics, not sure I remember who posted it, but someone was incredulous that they actually had to log in and play a game for the right to reset their ratings on each one. Besides that you had to be logged in to that nic before to reset its rating, my opinion is that if you have too many nics that even logging in and using it is too much to ask, I am not even sure you need to keep ownership of it.

Just my opinion.
-Brian

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:01 am

lol, I have long thought that there should be a limit to the number of nics allowed, say 1 nic for each year you have been with hardwood. As for the reset thing, I am pretty sure it is well known how much I hate it but if enough people want it then admin should do whats good for the site, but I think it should wipe out games played and start a person back at zero everything like it used to.