Player is away timer

MatanTheRedDragon
Active Poster

Player is away timer

Post by MatanTheRedDragon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Hey all,

I dislike getting invited to games randomly, so I decided to start using the /away option more often (very useful at 1am when I am waiting for one player to come online). Sadly I found out that you get a "you are away for 10 minutes" message after 10 minutes, half a minute later it starts a 10 seconds countdown and then automatically kicks you. This confused me as I know that I usually get 15 minutes before getting kicked out.

After testing I found out that the server timer of "away" is actually based on the duration of your name being brown-colored (or "away"). This means if you are ignoring the lobby for 5 minutes without any action, your name changes from green to brown and the timer kicks in. Ten minutes later although you are displayed as "away for 15 minutes", the server decides you are only away for 10 minutes and you are getting the kick message.

Could it be extended that the server actually checks the "player is away" timer instead of the brown color? This means I can feed in the /away command and reset the timer every 15 minutes instead of worrying I missed the 10 minute clock. I would have asked to get more than 15 minutes (guides get 70+ minutes I think), but I am not that greedy :)

Thanks,
Matan

Sailing_Away
Guide

Re: Player is away timer

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:44 am

A better solution than expanding your away timer is to allow you to auto-decline invites (or change a setting that prevents people from sending you invites). I think this idea has been submitted over on IdeaScale, so you may want to vote/comment if that would work for you.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:50 pm

There are people abusing the invite option to irritate/harass people IE: sending invites over and over because they know you don't want to join their game and they like annoying people that way. I guess we need the option to turn invites off. I could never get on the idea forum but I did try.

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:42 pm

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:30 am

After posting the last post I was in hearts and 1 of the people whom I do not approve of their playing style Invites me to a game that is full and ongoing, I did not know you could invite when the game was full and running so it can really be abused. I am going to test and see if I can invite someone in another game to the game I am in when I see 1 of the people whom I do not approve of their playing style in a game.

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Glad you found it this time :wink:

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Matan,

The timer is there for a reason. They don't want people just sitting idle and not playing or chatting for half an hour or more. There are times when the room is packed and it makes no sense to just sit and take up space when others want to play. If it is one or just a couple of people sending you the invitations, use your ignore button and that will be the end of the invites :) Using the /away feature and going into idle doesn't stop someone from sending you an invitation anyway.

They are aware of the request by players that the invite should be an option and I know they are trying to work on it.
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!