Silences

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Re: Silences

Post by Jonas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:09 pm

While I don't know the details, generally talking about killing this is not appropriate chat for the lobby either. In generally if chat is offensive or tends to get people upset, we ask folks not to do it, Political chat being an example.

Feel free to email me at Support@silvercrk.com with details on the animal killing chat.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Personal reader wrote:Yesterday (11.7.12) as trouting1, I was given a WARNING by a guide for political statement. It was further discussed in lobby, but it was okay to talk about KILLING ANIMALS. I was immeditely SILENCED with no warning.
You say you were warned then you say you were silenced with no warning, it makes no sense to me.
But I will admit that I talk about hunting in the lobby from time to time and other than some animal rights activist have never heard any static about it. I guess its a outdoorsmans opinion that there is no difference between hunting what you eat or buying it under saran wrap either way a animal is going to die.

jondalar
Active Poster

Post by jondalar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Apparently, talking football scores in your lobby is also inappropriate, Jonas. I got reprimanded like a little school boy by one of your guides for saying Alabama was upset by Texas A & M. Granted the guide in question that day misinterpreted my comment, as I initially stated "Bama is no longer undefeated". She private message'd me stating no politics in the lobby. I lol'd and said it was college fooball I was talking about. And she publicly stated no football talk is allowed in the lobby. Come on, are we children now? Ironically, the lobby chat turned to college football not 10 minutes later and went on for about 15 or 20 minutes. Some guides rule your lobby in a tyrannical fashion, while others (well, at least one) get much better results by fairly and calmly resolving issues. With all the chatter that goes on in the lobby is it really necessary to chastise someone for mentioning a football score? It's laughable.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:18 am

You have to understand guides are people too. Some don't live in the US and some may not be college sports enthusiasts even if they are, so I can see someone thinking a reference to "Bama" could only mean "Obama" and not the University of Alabama. Hopefully the guide who silenced you will read this discussion and come to a better understanding of what you were talking about. No long term damage was done. :lol
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

jondalar
Active Poster

Post by jondalar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks for your input, Sailing_Away; however, you misunderstood my posting. As I stated in my post, I told this guide (US, by the way) in the lobby the reference was to a football score. She then, in the lobby, informed me that no football talk was allowed in the lobby, as well. So, like I said, are we children? Give me a break! The guide's comment in the lobby that no football was to be discussed was laughable because not 10 minutes later that's all that was discussed in the lobby for the next 15 or 20 minutes.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 pm

It does seem to get ridicules that most can have a pleasant conversation in the lobby not offending the majority ( but there will always be somebody thats going to be offended by anything said no mattter what the subject it just is going to happen, Same as somebody will take issue with any nic no matter what ) But if the lobby was only used for somebody asking for a game and anybody saying anything else would be warned or silenced I know you would lose more people that play. Also the same guide that gets tyranical with people for discussing football has on numerous occasions got after people for asking for games, I have seen this guide say many times " So and So everybody can see your game stop flooding the lobby asking for games. So if no chat is to be allowed in the lobby then turn it off all together.

I do understand that politics and religon are hot button topics that get people stirred up and those topics are usually not allowed in Taverns either.

Go K-State Win The national title YeHaw

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks for the clarification, jondalar. You're correct that I did not understand what you meant.

It does seem ridiculous to hear how that went down as well as what US Marshall said about people getting silenced asking for games when sometimes that's all that seems to be allowed. Being on the receiving end of that can be quite frustrating when you don't feel you were being anti-social or antagonistic and perhaps there are a half dozen others there who deserve it more than you do.

Still, I go back to "guides are people too". I am sure they're all trying the best they can to do what they feel they are supposed to do. They were given some amount of training when they became guides, were given some "guiding principles" for maintaining order which is to hopefully make the lobbies comfortable places for the masses to come play. I think it's quite possible though that one guide's interpretation of the enforcement code varies from other's, and perhaps these interpretations should be harmonized.

Also, the guides have a private forum in which they can discuss these things amongst themselves. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall if one guide posts "Man, I had to silence everyone because too many people were discussing football" and another posts "well I wish they talked about football when I was in because they were flooding the lobby with game requests" and then see where that conversation goes! :lol:

The other perspective is if a guide sees the lobby chat and half of the list of things said was one player saying "Need 2 in table 19" over and over and over.... well that is quite different than if a player gets in trouble for asking for someone ONCE or twice. It actually is possible to over-do the player requests in the lobby to the point where I'd call it flooding. :evil: It's not so much what was said but how or how often.

But guide consistency through re-training might be the way to get better at making the lobbies a fun, friendly place to come play cards and seek out that balance that allows social interaction without making the place too hostile from those who wish to abuse it. And keep in mind - it will never be perfect, but we can all do our best (guides and players alike).
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:32 pm

To clarify I never said people got silenced asking for games, I said that they were told to stop asking for games, I guess my points was what can we say in the lobby if we cannot have a friendly conversation about say football or other subjects that are not subjects that push peoples buttons like politics or religion. The waters seem to be very muddy as to lobby chat is the best way to put it. Granted there has been a few in hearts lately that are just spewing nonsense out line after line and it is not any type of conversation and in my opinion this is just flooding to flood.
Last edited by U.S. Marshall on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:59 pm

[quote= I have seen this guide say many times " So and So everybody can see your game stop flooding the lobby asking for games.[/quote] Well the quote thing didn't work that time but to clarify another point by what I said. I Thought I made it obvious by the flooding comment that they were asking repeatably for players for their game, I don't want to make any guide out to be a Devils spawn I am trying to clarify if we can chat about non game stuff in the lobby if it is not inciting riots. Again I am going to say that there are those if for no other reason than to be argumenative are going to complain about anything said. We even have 1 that wants all chat removed, My personal opinion is let him or her turn all the chat off themselves and their problem is solved ( except that that person would not turn off the chat because he/she loves to argue about having chat, LMAO)

Wendywoo
Noob

Post by Wendywoo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:43 am

the waters seem to be very muddy as to lobby chat is the best way to put it. Granted there has been a few in hearts lately that are just spewing nonsense out line after line and it is not any type of conversation and in my opinion this is just flooding to flood
Us Marshalll aka Countin America

[11] Countin America: Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.
[35] lynn42: yes I am in a game
[11] Countin America: I can't wait to look in the mirror cause I get better looking each day
[11] Countin America: To know me is to love me I must be a hell of a man.

I have just pasted that from the forum.

Isn't that spewing out nonsense line after line?

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Nope that is singing the lines to a song " Lord its hard to be Humble " By Mac Davis from lubbock Texas. You left the music notes off by the way.
I'll paste some nonsense lines here for ya, and sharpen your skills on country music

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:18 pm

from 1 person and I removed their name.

Set fire to your hair

Poke a stick at a grizzly bear

Use your private parts as piranha bait

Eat a two week old unrefrigerated pie

another person

we do luv a conspiracy theory

except