Problem Players

Maverick UK
Noob

Problem Players

Post by Maverick UK » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:01 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, where do I start ?
We now,as a collection of socilites, have the option to dislike and ignore other players.
By far, in my opinion, one of the best introductions brought into play, but.
What is the point when the sad sad cyber stalkers constantly barriage with irrelavent abuse under different nics?
Surely it cannot be that difficult for silvercreek to appoint the ip address as well as the nic.
If you dislike, for reasons for yourself to know, or ignore then the chances are the same person who you have tagged will still be the inane,pathetic player regarless of whatever nic he, or she, chooses to use.
Come on Administraitors, If this site is getting out of hand, when even guides get abuse and problem players continue to downgrade the game,which by all accounts is supposed to be a fun, enjoyable experience. Then where does the buck end?
With you, of course, stop thinking about the money and think about the players that make this site what it is and can be. If they continue to be aggresive,iggnorant,anti whatever then ban the Ip address all together. It seems simple complaints doesnt seem to cut it anymore,if it ever did in the first place. :?

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Re: Problem Players

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:29 am

Mav I do wish they would make the ignore good for a entire account, it seems to me that it would make the guides jobs easier as there would be a heck of a lot less fighting going on. By the way I am not claiming to be innocent I have my friends and foes as well as anybody else I am just a but more vocal when I am being harrased.
Last edited by U.S. Marshall on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tech_ceo
Noob

Post by tech_ceo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 am

Don't get me wrong here, as I fully agree with the OP that this is an important issue that needs to be addressed if we are to keep and grow the player base at HH. However, the problem faced by the administrators is far more complex than most would realize. The admins will likely not get involved in this discussion because doing so would only create a lot more overhead, and we can rest assued that they are aware of the issue. I am not an admin and can only point out the obvious, and there is at least one obvious problem with the solutions suggested here.

Both ideas proposed (global ignore by IP or account) would be relatively easy to implement. That is not the problem. The problem is that both approaches jeopardize the privacy of all players. As soon as such a system were in place, abusers would take advantage of this tool to discover all of which nics belong to which player. Just clear your ignore list, put someone on ignore, and see who else pops up on the list. This is a power that not even guides have presently AFAIK.

So if you are one that plays always under the same nic, this will not seem an important problem. But for the many players that prefer the ability to AVOID harassment from others, by disappearing, and silently returning under an unknown nic to play in a more relaxed environment, they will now be exposed to the real problem stalkers, who can just use the new feature to follow around and harass a player even if the innocent player changes nics.
90% of problems and dilemmas are laughably insignificant when put into perspective.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:59 am

Good points, tech_ceo.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Crap point in my opinion because it is exactly the problem, players that want to harrass other players make new nics just to do that. Most times when somebody is getting attacked by someone they have no idea who it is or why. I Have a 100 nics of my own but I still think it would be a good thing if there was a drop down menu that anybody wanting to see a list of my nics could see them. My opinion is show yourself if you are going to attack or abuse somebody so they know who its coming from and maybe they might even understand why. I hate cowards hiding behind a mask.

tech_ceo
Noob

Post by tech_ceo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:57 am

I Have a 100 nics of my own but I still think it would be a good thing if there was a drop down menu that anybody wanting to see a list of my nics could see them. My opinion is show yourself if you are going to attack or abuse somebody so they know who its coming from and maybe they might even understand why. I hate cowards hiding behind a mask.
So then you will post here all of your nics?

You are missing the point. Nobody is defending the few players that use multiple nics to harass others. In fact, in my previous post I noted how those few could turn the global ignore against those seeking refuge from harassment. There are far more players in the latter category, plus many others with perfectly good reasons to change nics (eg, playing games at different rating levels, etc.). Why do you have 100 anyway? Surely, based on your comment you will have no problem posting them here.

Your quote above is one players opinion, as you state, and nothing wrong with that. I guarantee you, however, they are not going to add a feature that places in jeopardy the privacy of the majority of players, even if a few members were ok with this side effect.

Despite what you may think, I am with you on the problem that needs to be addressed. I too was once convinced that global IP/account ignore was the answer. After more thought, I realized that such a feature alone would actually make the problem worse, and I have since come up with some ideas that include both IP and account key, but with added measures to prevent the "solution" from coming back and biting those it is intented to protect.

That, however, is beyond the scope of this thread and will be posted later in another, more appropriate topic.
90% of problems and dilemmas are laughably insignificant when put into perspective.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:29 am

I will post all of my nics here if everybody else will, otherwise why would I if I cannot see the other players list of nics. Its pointless unless its universal and I don't see why people need privacy to hide with other nics. The new build allows 1 nic only so those players have no other nics to hide with.