Three Player Hearts

Would you like to see a 3-player version of Hearts implemented?

Yes, I would
56%
No, I would not
44%

Total votes: 50

duffer36
Big Poster

Three Player Hearts

Post by duffer36 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:14 pm

As a youngster growing up, and even later in life as well, we used to play three handed hearts. Rules for the game were the same. Passes went left, right, play your own. The sticking point was that when the cards were dealt, the top card was always the card that got set off to the side. The player who took the first trick, took control of the set aside card. Only after all cards were played and all tricks taken, was that person allowed to look at the set aside card. It caused some very interesting situations. I can remember once taking every trick except the first, thinking I for sure was gonna shoot the moon, when much to my chagrin, the set aside card was a heart, and alas I took nearly all the points. I can also remember ONLY taking the first trick 2 hands in a row and BOTH times I wound up with the Queen as the set aside card!!

My question is this, have any of you fellow hearts players ever played this variation? If so, would you like to see it implemented in a future build of hearts, the same way the 3 player cut version of spades was implemented with Build 30? Thanks for your input and I am eager to see some of your responses.

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:21 pm

Once again, duff, this is the way I learned to play Hearts and Spades. If it comes here, I will surely give it a try.

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:37 pm

Hopefully we can get some response from SCE as well on their thoughts on the subject. I would be glad to help them in any way possible to make the game a reality. There really are some fun and unexpected twists and turns involved with it.

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:43 pm

The only problem I see Duffer is the notice we're seeing more and more often that we've hit the maximum number of rooms and please go to another. If we fill a bunch of games with only three players, that makes less players able to get into regular smoots games.

HotPoker4MyEyePlease
Grand Master

Post by HotPoker4MyEyePlease » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:47 pm

Lace wrote:The only problem I see Duffer is the notice we're seeing more and more often that we've hit the maximum number of rooms and please go to another. If we fill a bunch of games with only three players, that makes less players able to get into regular smoots games.
:shock: Every time Ive come into hearts the only place that peeps are is smoots! LoL :P

Huggiez & Pokez :twisted:

PS I voted yes for 3 player .... it would be Gr8 to see it here :D
ImageImage

wardet el sa7arah

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:54 pm

That can be easily solved Lace by the creation of another room such as they did in Spades with the creation of the 3 hand cut game there.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:00 pm

YES, YES, YES, weeeeee that was fun. I think 3 way Hearts game would be GREAT!

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:09 pm

If you haven't played it before, perhaps try playing it at home with real cards and some family. It is lots of fun, I promise!

Tomes
Active Poster

Post by Tomes » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:12 pm

I grew up with one brother and one sister. The 3-way game with the spare card taken with the first trick and not looked at until the end is exactly how I learned toplay Hearts. It is indeed a fun way to play and I would like to see it here, very much so.

I agree also that a room just solely for 3 player play wold be the way to go. It would need to be obviously named as such, not a cryptic name.

Good thread here Duffer.

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:27 pm

Tomes said:
Good thread here Duffer.
Thank you, 'twas my intention.

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:43 pm

OK, this is a shameless bump to try to bring some attention to the thread. Still looking for Jonas or anyone from SCE to post in the thread as well. It's always nice to hear your input into suggestions SCE, it lets us know we are being heard.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:30 pm

Don't really play a lot of Hearts (my main game is Spades!) but if a 3-player game WERE to be implemented I would probably give it a go! There is just one thing in the descriptions I have heard of such a game that I would not like - the idea of the left-over card being taken with the first trick and NOT SEEN until the end of the hand.

While that may add a little "excitement" to the game, it ALSO takes away a lot of the SKILL by adding another element of pure chance. I would like to see this game as described but with the ONE change that the person who takes in that first trick be able to see the card he has taken. Reading Duffy's description of shooting for moon only to find that the spare card was a Heart that was taken by someone else just made me shudder. THAT would be the sort of thing that would prompt me to never play that game again.

Just my opinion folks - maybe everyone else WANTS that spare card to remain an unknown quantity until the hand is over. If so, then I regret that I would not be interested in playing that game... 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:19 am

Reading Duffy's description of shooting for moon only to find that the spare card was a Heart that was taken by someone else just made me shudder. THAT would be the sort of thing that would prompt me to never play that game again.
Yes, it does happen, but not with the frequency one might imagine. The Queen as the mystery card happens even less. I have played the game daily, three or four games a day, for months, and not seen the Queen as THE CARD. Then again, as I have said before, I once saw it two hands in a row. Yes, the card may mess up a person's strategy. Yes, it could change the way you decide to play the rest of the hand. But to me, that's what makes it such a challenge. Do you take the risk or not? Do you try to shoot if someone else has taken the first trick, or not? All a part of the mystique to me.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:18 pm

I understand where you are coming from there Duffy, and I can appreciate that you find this adds to the excitement of the game for you. To me, however, it brings the game closer to the level of playing a Slot machine, where absolutely NO skill is required - you just hope that Lady Luck is with you on your spin.

I never saw the real draw to such games of pure chance, although many others obviously do. My daughter, in fact, LOVES to play the slots (both for real and the video/computer types). She prefers that type of activity over Hearts, Spades and Euchre combined! ...Me, I can't STAND playing games where I don't have some sort of control over (or at least the chance to control) the outcome by utilizing some degree of skill (and no, I don't consider using varions methods to select a slot machine to play as requiring any form of skill!).

No, I am not saying that having the spare remain a mystery would make 3-player Hearts THAT bad, just that it removes a lot of the actual SKILL that involves developing a working strategy. NO ONE can overcome the appearance of a Heart or the Spade Q as the spare card after the hand has been played. I see it sorta like playing out the hand and then tossing a coin to see if your strategy will be validated. Normally, you will see each card being played and know where it is going. To me, THAT is part of the skill involved in developing a winning strategy.

Card games are, by nature, to some degree dependent on luck, since it is pure chance that determines how the cards are distributed. Reducing the dependance on luck would only seem to make the game MORE of a real game of skill.

We have "games" like slots on the one hand, and games like chess on the other - one requiring absolutely NO skill (unless you consider the ability to choose not to take chances by playing the slots a skill! :) )and the other requiring total ability and concentration, with luck entering into the game only if the opponent has a heart attack or something during the game!

Personally, I like games that are more slanted towards the skill/luck ratio of chess, but I recognize that there are mahy who just like to relax and let Lady Luck take control.

Guess maybe I'm just a control freak!!! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:29 pm

We always played where the player who takes the first trick gets to look at the mystery card as soon as they pick it up. I wouldn't mind trying both ways to get the feel of it, not sure I want to totally pooh-pooh the idea til I try it.