Three Player Hearts

Would you like to see a 3-player version of Hearts implemented?

Yes, I would
56%
No, I would not
44%

Total votes: 50

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:37 pm

Gray Goose wrote:We always played where the player who takes the first trick gets to look at the mystery card as soon as they pick it up. I wouldn't mind trying both ways to get the feel of it, not sure I want to totally pooh-pooh the idea til I try it.
I would be willing to go along with that. It's not as good as revealing the card to everyone when the first trick is taken in, but at least it's not QUITE as bad as kleeping it a TOTAL secret from all! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:50 pm

I would imagine that would be very easy to set as an option. Just click on the box to allow peeking.

I can understand your point of view omni, but I think if you played 100 games the way I have described it, you would find that it removes very little of the skill element.

1TOP MUSH
Active Poster

hmmm

Post by 1TOP MUSH » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:32 am

In talking about the cutthroat version of spades (which also has one 'leftover' card) Manny said that card is always the 2 of diamonds. I'm sure the 'leftover' in hearts would be some similar card that would not greatly change the outcome of the game.
Melinda/Mushy
MissMush@hotmail.com

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:26 am

It could be if they so determine, but the way I have always seen it played is with the mystery card changing each deal.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:21 am

I like THAT idea Mushy!!! Pick ONE card (like the 2 Diamond) for the "leftover card" and have it remain the same for all such games. Such a card would not affect the outcome of the hand and the game could then be played with pretty much the same strategy that would be used in regular Hearts - with a few adjustments for the extra cards in the hand and the missing player of course!

But it sounds GOOD to me!!! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

rowland2110
Noob

Post by rowland2110 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:02 am

Worldplay Had 3 and 5 players hearts options.

I think 5 player heartrs are cool except it seems you can never get 5 people with enough patience to actually finish a game.

Tomes
Active Poster

Post by Tomes » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:22 pm

The way I grew up playing the 3 player game was that the extra card was secret and a surprise at the end. That was the rules as I knew them. Them's the breaks.

1TOP MUSH
Active Poster

hmm

Post by 1TOP MUSH » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:39 am

I grew up playing that whoever took the first trick with a heart in it, also got the leftover card.

Interesting how we play the same game -- but it's not always the same rules!
Melinda/Mushy
MissMush@hotmail.com

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:01 am

I think that's what Tomes meant, just that the extra card was kept secret until all tricks were taken.

omni_555
Grand Master

Re: hmm

Post by omni_555 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:21 pm

1TOP MUSH wrote:I grew up playing that whoever took the first trick with a heart in it, also got the leftover card.

Interesting how we play the same game -- but it's not always the same rules!
I LIKE that variation Mushy! It doesn't leave it open to chance whether you are going to be able to go for moon or not, and puts a little of the skill back into the game!

Actually, that is a better solution than the one I suggested earlier about having the extra card revealed as soon as it was taken in... If it was the Spade Q, then it leaves that little mystery out there for the rest of the hand, without impacting on the ability of the player who took it to make his potential moon. ;)

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:04 pm

Man, this is not my day for reading correctly, and I even wear bifocals. Maybe I need TRIfocals now. Anyway, having just read omni's post, I correctly read you post Mushy. That does sound like another interesting variation, one that sounds equally as fun as the others. Now we are really giving SCE some great ideas for future improvements!!

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:07 pm

Still anxiously awaiting the appearance of Jonas or Dan or Manny from SCE to hear their comments. C'mon guys, don't be bashful, your subjects await!!

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

Three Handed Hearts

Post by Joe Andrews » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:16 pm

Hi! My name is Joe Andrews. In my book, "Win at Hearts", there is a full chapter about this variation. Three-handed Hearts was a staple at my New England Hearts Players' Association Tournamnents, which were conducted from 1971- 1982. Often, we would have a surplus of two or three players for a typical 4--12 table event. Rather than turn these players away, the solution was the three-handed game. A player would have to play the 3-handed game for one round; then three other players would draw that assignment for the next round, etc.

Some players really enjoyed the variation. There were three basic changes in the rules:

a. The deuce of clubs was removed, and 17 cards were dealt for each
player.

Note - I never liked the idea of a "kitty", or an unknown card, or
a card which the only the winner of the first trick knew.

b. The pass consisted of four cards, alternating from Left (1st hand),
then Right (2nd hand), back to left (3rd hand) etc.

Note - We never had "keeper" or hold hands in any of the "live"
events, and to this day, Grand Prix "live" events do not
feature "keeper hands" in 3 or 4 player games.

c. The opening lead is the three of clubs. All other Rules were standard.

Many player felt that this game (3 - handed) was very difficult to
master. Also, two players working together could easily attack the
"low" player, thus making for a very competitive game.

I would wholeheartedly endorse a 3-handed game, with the
above Rules.
Last edited by Joe Andrews on Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:45 pm

Thanks for the post Joe, i always thought that this was just a way to play the game when teaching others. I never knew there were actually tourneys using this style. Very informative.

starfire
Grand Master

Post by starfire » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:54 pm

When I played it we just took out the 2 diamonds.