Kicking Out Players

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:33 am

I don't agree with giving the host cart-blanche to kick players out at their whim, there are so many reasons why they are delaying, not just because they are trying to hold up the game. I know, I know, there are a few...... but just a few who deliberately do it to hold up the game.
I have also seen where some players seem to think they own the game, one in particular springs to mind, and it doesn't matter how slight or insignificant the incident, she zaps, fooms, tries to vote them out, tells them to "get out of my game" and has even followed them into the lobby and told them never to return. When asked why, the reasons were given as so trivial, the queen may have been passed to her or she felt another player had given her too many high cards, or someone has laughed at her as she finally got the queen after being low all the game.

Reasons for delay........
1. Network congestion
2. A new player who would just like to look at his hand before playing
3. The phone rings
4. The doorbell
5. Just finishing cutting his/her toenails
6. Coffee/tea
7. Answering hubby's constant question of where is my tea
I totally understand what you are saying and you make excellent reasons why the kick feature is an eye-sore to me. I am not a fan of the kick features, myself. Like you, I tend to have a lot of patience with those I am playing. I respect that they have congestion problems, family, kids, and a life going on all around them :)

My question (curiousity) was pertaining to the rules/ability of the kick feature already in place. "stalling repeatedly" is how it is worded on the server message. I was questioning whether anyone had ever found it workable or useable. There is always that 1 game a year where you have a person who finds it funny to BLATANLY keep stalling just before the timeout to play or just before the 2 minute rule would assure him/her a kick. This rare 1 game a year isnt enough to have the feature, BUT knowing, myself, the rule and how it works i was just questioning its use because in that rare occasion I could not get it to work, myself.

I was questioning if anyone else had ever gotten any use out of it if they were trying to use it for this same scenario. I was also hoping maybe SCE could elaborate on this rule and how it is workable. Do the Repeated stallings have to be a certain length? Does there have to be a certain amount of them? Basically i was questioning the rule's idea of "repeated" stalling and at what point it was useable.
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:15 pm

I also would not go for the host to have that power, if you have an abusive or delaying player, lots of alternatives.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Becky2555
Guide

Post by Becky2555 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:27 pm

Do the Repeated stallings have to be a certain length? Does there have to be a certain amount of them? Basically i was questioning the rule's idea of "repeated" stalling and at what point it was useable.

I always wondered about that too Hexa, but after attempting unsuccessfully, I guess I gave up on the option a while ago and never questioned it. Just figured "well that doesn't work, darn!" :roll:

Now you have my curiosity going...

Alias 44
Noob

Post by Alias 44 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:29 pm

Dust, there is not always a guide in the lobby to be seen, so what do you suggest if we are having problems with a player and there is no guide to be seen.

We cant hold a game up to wait for a guide, hence again I agree with the host to be able to kick/ban a player if they are holding up a game or being abusive towards any of the players.
Alias 44

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:51 pm

Alias, im not Dust, but in my opinion you have exactly what you need at your fingertips, without needing a button that would allow you to kick out just anyone for just any reason you felt the need. I am sure you would probably use this type of kick button with fair and good intention, but honestly there are some out there that would just cause trouble with it. As Cher explained people would be using it for players that PnP'd, or other playing which is ALL legal but still maintains a different perspective as to its ethics vs. strategy by the players here.

You have these options already :)

1) a mute button

2) a kick/ban button for 2 minute stallers

3) a kick/ban button for repeated stallings, once we get some answers about it LOL

4) several guides who have offered their IM names should players need them

5) a report player button

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:32 pm

Yep what she said, good job Hexa and CR

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:47 pm

I always wondered about that too Hexa
lol we shall both have to anxiously await the answer, Becky ;)

Thanks, Dust :)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:51 am

I am not sure about the repeated stalling but I do believe it is 2 minutes and anytime after that (very seldom have I had a reason to use it). Maybe Jonas can help us out here.

JUST DUST

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:12 pm

Yup! 2 minutes seems to be about the time here!!! Yesterday, after a game had finished and while waiting for players to show up to replace the couple who left after the game, I stepped away from the computer for a few minutes, and when I came back I found that I had been kicked from the table and the game started by 4 other players. And I was the HOST of that table!!! LOL

SCE, please NEVER give unilateral control over kicking to a single person during a game!!! There was enough of an outcry over three players being able to kick the fourth player AT ANY TIME by a combined vote of these three players that this was changed to disallow even a VOTE being taken until certain conditions were met.

The current system is NOT by any means PERFECT, but at least it prevents a LOT of abuse by players wanting to just get rid of another player for some frivolous reason.

I agree that there ARE a few total jerks out there who will do everything in their power to ruin a game, but no matter WHAT we do to try to prevent them from doing this, they will find a way!!! The trick here is to NOT weaken the site as a whole just to try to find some way to prevent a FEW cases of abuse by putting something in place that will open up the possibility of even MORE abuse.

It's sorta like putting spike strips on all the roads to stop speeders. Sure, you will most CERTAINLY stop the SPEEDERS, but look at all the vandals who will have a field day with all the cars that are disabled due to the spike strips!!! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:37 pm

omni_555 wrote:but look at all the vandals who will have a field day with all the cars that are disabled due to the spike strips!!! 8)
Well at least they wont be takin the tire's............. 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:50 pm

8) Stereo and windscreen wipers, yes, but not the tyres :P :P

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:15 pm

I think the fact that knowing you are online and not in any fear of actually being physically attacked by someone....give's certain people a thrill in knowing they can do what they want to upset as many as they want....

Most people would not act that way if everyone was sitting around a table...where all you had to do was reach over and SLAP some decency back in them......figuratively speaking of course....
:lol:
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

bluebirdpod
Active Poster

Post by bluebirdpod » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:24 pm

Its the HOST's table, the HOST should have the option to kick anyone at anytime, seems harsh, maybe some hosts would abuse the feature, but it goes down to the same old thing, if you dont like a particular player, then DONT play with them.

You know what would be a ingenious feature? Make hearts change the color of people you dont like, It would be as simple as clicking on them and adding them to your own personal BAN list. Then Hearts would change the color of the player to lets say RED or something, kinda like the Guides color is blue, but make it so its global, so whether they pop into a game or host a game or whatever, so long as they are in your own personal BAN list their color would be RED or something. That to me would be a fantastic feature.

-bluebirdpod

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:51 pm

Its the HOST's table, the HOST should have the option to kick anyone at anytime, seems harsh,
Yes it is harsh, since everyone at that table AFTER the first pass has a vested interest in that game if it is rated. Okay, imagine this-- you don't want PNP at your table, and I have passed and played down to the point where I have onlya spade left in my hand,and I have taken the lead, and the queen has not been played ...someone would wanna kick me for that, and not only WANT to but could do so?? Or I am low and I want to win, that's why I did pass the queen, so I could pull her and come out in first? Which is a good strategy for low man, by the way, whether many deem it "ethical play" or not... Like I said, I can see it being used for ALL the wrong reasons more often than not, and that is my problem with it. I don't think some ever realize the extent of what I am trying to convey there, unless you had been called into many games for the reasons that we are as I conveyed in my previous posts.

This is why the host was given the option to kick before the first pass, so they would have means at their disposal to deal with issues such as the ones mentioned. After that, file reports and use ignore, or call a guide. SCE does provide tools to combat these situations, if no one is in hollering distance. That is why they are there. :D

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:00 pm

bluebirdpod, once the Host gains ability to kick at any time, and any body they please, we end up with a ton of open games with not enough players to fill the chairs as they all want to host to keep from being able to be tossed from the game at any time without warning, for any reason the host deemed it necessary.