frog hopping

sandbar
Guide

frog hopping

Post by sandbar » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:56 am

:( Beware! :P We have frog hoppers around, :lol: Seriously though, I have noticed a couple of newbies that go into a game then don't finish it and come back to the lobby, it happened more than once and then you see the game calling for a sub. They seem to be new, is there anything that can be said to encourage them to finish a game, otherwise they will never get past their 20 8)

[img][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/ ... /toz16.gif[/img][/img]

Becky2555
Guide

Post by Becky2555 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:50 am

Hiya Sandy!

I wonder if they understand the game? Stopped in to check what it's all about and got into a game with skilled players, or maybe got the "?" or "nice pnp" or "what are you doing?" a few times and didn't know what it was all about.

If I think back 4 years, when I joined... I had never heard of "spot hearts". I know SCE offers a lot of neat options in hearts, and if these visitors are used to standard hearts only - could be they leave a game thinking "oops this is different". Or leave because they just don't feel comfortable yet. (I'm sure getting past 20 hasn't become important to them... "yet", but it will.) :wink:

I say, give them time, make them feel welcome, let them feel their way around a bit, answer their questions, sub when you're available....

In time they will be just like us, hooked! :lol:

Any other ideas out there?

PS: Thank you Hexa, for teaching me to put the "sig" on my post!

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:03 pm

JoD is another one that throws new players off... I remember the first time throwing it out and saying "what the hell is that, -40, how did that happen?"
I learned....

JUST DUST

PS - most new players know the basic game but do not understand the options we have here.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:47 pm

...It's a LEARNING process. That's one of the reasons for the Provie period for players.

I remember when I first came to HW playing Spades and Hearts. There were SO MANY little quirks that I had to get used to that it wasn't even funny!!!

What these new players have to understand is that they have joined a new site, with slightly different ways of doing things and different options than they were used to previously. It takes a while to adjust to ANYTHING new, but at the same time quitting on games is something that even the NEWEST player should understand is NOT a nice thing to do!!!

As for the "kid gloves" approach, that only works to a certain extent. Baptism by fire is by far the more effective method to teach newcomers the ropes of their new site. No need to be rude, but let those peeps know in no uncertain terms that what they have just done is unacceptable at this site and explain to them why, and that if they continue to behave in this way that they will soon suffer the consequences in that no one will want to be caught in a game with them!!! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:14 pm

you're welcome Becky :)
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:52 pm

:D Yep I do agree with you Becky about making them welcome, which we all do :P but Omni has a point too, just throwing in the towel without finishing the game is not the right thing to do. This newbie frog hopped three times, and three times a substitute had to be asked for. He also kept popping up in the lobby as being a newbie and "please welcome this new person to Hearts message" kept coming up, and I thought, "hey, didnt I just welcome him before?" I remember when I started playing if I did something wrong and was zapped, I just kept asking questions in the game. If someone queried what I had done ?? or Pnp'ed or I got called "you idiot" (which happened frequently :wink: because I probably was) I asked why, and gradually I learned. I really just wanted to know if I could say to him/her, "do you realise that every time you leave a game a substitute has to be called for, if you aren't sure about something we are all here to help, and if you would like a game in MM we don't mind coming along to help?" Or is this something a guide would do, or do we just ignore it.

[img][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/ ... /toz16.gif[/img][/img]