Lobby: Scrolling Chat Problems

Becky2555
Guide

Lobby: Scrolling Chat Problems

Post by Becky2555 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:50 pm

I'm curious, does anyone else have occasional problems with their chat "not scrolling" in the lobby?

I find there are times that it gets very quiet, and then I realize... something is not working. If I click into a game as a watcher, and then right back out again to the lobby - that seems to fix the problem for a while. Or, sometimes I leave the room altogether and then re-enter.

:?: Short of uninstalling and reinstalling.... does anyone have any input on this? :?:
(ie: why it happens, or how to fix it?).

Have a Great Day and....
Thanks!!!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:17 pm

I used to experience this when i had a line with static on it (dsl or dial up), or storms (wind and rain) would interfear with cable modems. This would happen especially when i noticed some outside lines were wet or laying in soggy soil after rains.

LOL do you also get the smiley that gets stuck way below the actual chat going on?? isnt it aggrevating??
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Becky2555
Guide

Post by Becky2555 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:27 pm

Yesssss I get the "lone smile" at the bottom (after scrolling what seems to be endlessly), I kinda laugh. It's like a little face down there smiling at us for even thinking that we would find anything at the bottom! :lol:

However, I don't seem to notice this with a bad line, etc. I'm not sure what it is... seems I can get it regardless of the weather. And without any ISP problems, and such. Is there a way I can check for sure that there's nothing wrong with my line? I don't have any other problems with any of the site, or any of the games. Just the chat not scrolling at times, and this can happen in any of the games.

At least I'm in good company Hexa, and I know it's not an isolated issue.

:idea: Has anyone else noticed this? Or have any additional ideas? :idea:

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:33 pm

It happen's a lot Becky...I just call it "Lagging"... It seem's to happen if you are in HW for a length of time....the best way to solve it is to do exactly what you did....leave and come back.... :)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:32 pm

Yep the blank chat block with the lone smiley is an age old occurrence in here, that we have all fallen victim to at some point or another I suspect :) I've seen it off and on for about 2 of the 3 and a half years that I've been around and it never seems to have any permanance, just happens every now and then...I do the same as Becky and Primal, I just leave and come back in.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:37 pm

It's all in the connection and it will happen for many reasons. When you establish a connection with any other PC/server you connect, they send signals back and forth called a "keep alive bit" which just says "I'm here are you?" when that signal gets waylayed, takes the senic route and is late is can cause what appears to be a disconnect and it does not send send updates until it here's from the PC again on a active note. Usually an input from your end.

All kinds of reasons for this, ISP, your PC (busy with other stuff), line noise, sunspots, electrical interference, server itself, load on the line, storms and can be many miles away, etc.

Your screen is still there because your PC hasn't missed the bit from the server yet and sometimes its the other way around. Even if you have one way comm. it will think it's ok and keep trying until you lose it both ways and then get the disconnected.

JUST DUST

PS - Hope this gives you a answer that you were looking for and if not just Blame Primal for the failure.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:46 pm

:lol: Darn, and here's me thinking it is some smarty pants who has put that smiley waaaayyyy down there. :lol:
Destroyed my illusions :wink:

Becky2555
Guide

Post by Becky2555 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:49 pm

LOL @ Sandy.....
:wink:

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Dust In The Wind wrote: PS - Hope this gives you a answer that you were looking for and if not just Blame Primal for the failure.
LOL...

It is caused by Ogre's straying out from underneath the bridge too many time's and creating static airwave's with swamp gas......
:lol:

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:26 pm

:twisted: Phewww! Don't light a match!! :D

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:58 am

Becky2555
Guide

Post by Becky2555 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:33 am

"seems I can get it regardless of the weather".
Hey Hexa... have you ever considered being a weather gal???

This scrolling chat problem is an "off and on" occurance, however - recently it has been quite annoying. The weather has been better than usual in Ohio this past week but, this morning I awakened to a blinking digital alarm clock display, microwave, oven, auto-coffee maker, etc. Proximate cause? A severe storm during the night causing power outages, downed trees, and I'm sure line interruptions. Could the weather have given early signals? Does that smiley at the bottom of the page know something we don't? And are you in tune with all of that?

I just had to chuckle after being so sure that the weather didn't seem to co-incide with my chat issues. Just glad that my games and other functions never seem to be interrupted when the rooms become silent.

Maybe you should start a weather thread, Hexa... we could use a "jump-start" to some Spring-Time weather in Ohio! 8)
8)

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:01 pm

The weather for Ohio today is.....cloudy with intermittent smiley's.... :)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:06 pm

You wonder why with all the advanced electronics we have today that they don't make the clock on all these neat things remember what time and day it is after the power goes out. Wouldn't require much do make this happen, about $3-$5 in parts max.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

ibeeducky
Active Poster

Post by ibeeducky » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:42 pm

Golly and gol dern....
I with sandybar, thot someone was messing with da lobby room.
I agreeing with da beckyone about that your weather thoughts are interesting Hexa :)
Dusty, you way over my teeny brain.
Hope no one lights a match to da ogre swamp gas..very dangerous....mite just blow up this site and dang wouldn't we be sorry !!

:D

hmmm now why won't it let me go further down ??? :lol: :evil:

oh silly me 8)

ducky
ducky