ratings

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:55 pm

I can empathize with those "lowman" players out there who think that ONLY first place is a "winner" and ALL others are "losers". I have tried playing several games like that, and ended up getting shafted by one or more players who played for position - even before it was necessary.

The conclusion that I have come to is this - I will try to determine what type of players are sitting at the table I am playing at, and then I will adjust my strategy accordingly.

There have been MANY games over the past couple of weeks where I have held on to the QoS to deliver it to the lowman or to the player who took in the JoD, only to have another player DELIBERATELY cause me to eat it myself. I have replayed a number of these games, and there was NO REASON for the player to have "screwed" me in such a way, including no way that the player concerned would have had to eat the Q himself.

After playing a number of games where I have ended up in last place SOLELY because I was TRYING to "do the right thing", I adjust my playing to be a little more cautious and a little more suspicious of the motives of my fellow players. I will now hold on to high cards for a LITTLE WHILE, but when the hand nears its end I will look for ANY opportunity to get rid of them, keeping in mind of course what the effect of dropping the card(s) on any given player would be.

One thing that, IMHO, ruins a game above anything else is NOT the player who dumps on high, but rather the player who spends time and energy WHINING about it!!! When I have been the victim of dumping, PnP, etc, I grit my teeth and resolve to target the offending player NEXT game rather than get into a verbal battle with the person. It usually works out pretty good, since other players at the table who have been the victims of possible unsportsmanlike play will ALSO be gunning for that individual!!!

Bottom line, the way the game is set up on HW MAY be different than how some are used to playing it, but face it - each site has its own unique characteristics. Get used to and adjust to the characteristics of the site you are playing on and you will have a MUCH better time! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Wed May 03, 2006 5:39 pm

I go into Heart's and play the bot's 10 or 15 game's each time....help's me learn the game without messin someone's rating up or gettin yelled at LOL...Gettin yelled at dont bother me...but until I feel like a contender..I will put up with the bot's....And Im givin the Heart's community fair warning....Im dumpin that Queen...at any time.... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Wed May 03, 2006 6:01 pm

Thanks for the warning Primal, I know to watch out for ya!! :twisted: :twisted:

Hey bud, I'll play with ya anytime, just holler at me. I been after you to get in there and learn to play! We were all new players at some point, and guess what???? I play like a bot! :lol:

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Wed May 03, 2006 8:04 pm

Im lookin forward to playin with ya sometime CR...I figured out Uno is the smartest bot.....or cheat's lmaoooo....It was good seein you and Sandbar in Heart's..Thank you both for the welcome... :D
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Wed May 03, 2006 10:29 pm

:D I have been looking for you for such a long time, Primal, it was great to see you there :P