could we do this

gary
Active Poster

could we do this

Post by gary » Sat May 06, 2006 8:45 am

i was wonderin could we set up a forum for all new players of any game on hardwood were they could go to str8 away to learn the different tools and wat and wat nots to do in hardwood and wen they download the software a link or something that take them str8 to this maybe even compulsary

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat May 06, 2006 7:05 pm

:D Actually, that isn't a bad idea, I know we have the rules to read, and some players are helpful, but I have been in the lobby and have answered questions (or tried to) when a new player has come in and been completely ignored by other players. :?
Guides are there to help, I know, but because of time differences, sometimes there are none around, there are a few more greeters and some really nice players who do try to help.
What we do need is something, maybe a FAQ's page (for new players, cause we already have a FAQ page) where new players can ask or get explained about pnp's for instance, why some players do and some don't, how to use emotes/colours in chat line, I know a lot of this is obvious to us, but new players aren't familiar with it. Why there are a lot of 300 games and not many 100? and wouldn't it take longer to play if there are 300 points instead of 100? What are the plus and minus signs for? How do I set my games? Why did I get called stupid? How do I find the ignore button? Is there an ignore button?
I know, back to the rules and the help page and the tutorials, but a lot of people would rather ask another person and have it explained in simple terms. :D
:D These are questions that have been asked while i've been in the lobby, but if there are no helpful peeps around at the time........
(I'm sitting here thinking I'm sure I'm going to get laughed at about this answer, be gentle with me ) :wink:

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat May 06, 2006 9:16 pm

We could create a Sticky or page that stays at the top I believe that would have common FAQ's about each individual game because there are differences in each game. Let me look to see if anything like this existx already.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat May 06, 2006 10:14 pm

:D Thanks Dust, you are a brick :D

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sun May 14, 2006 5:35 pm

:) Dust, did you manage to find out any more about this topic? :D You've probably been very busy, :mrgreen: :lol: but it would be interesting to know if it can be done. :D

MidNightWolf
Grand Master

Post by MidNightWolf » Sun May 14, 2006 10:54 pm

Jonas, maybe you could put a button on the left menu going directly to forum or SCE help page.

http://www.silvercrk.com/support.htm

http://www.silvercrk.com/extras.htm

You guy are always welcome to give out my link to help players, Ive tried over the years to get everything I could think of to help player new and old on it. If theres something not there that a lot ask about let me know and Ill get it on a list of projects to add to my page.

http://groups.msn.com/MidNightWolfsHelpandInfo

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sun May 14, 2006 11:23 pm

:D That would be great, Midnight Wolf, it's just trivial questions to most of the players who read this forum, but new players don't know, so it would be of great help to them.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:28 pm

Yup, I totally agree that something like this would be a welcome addition. I still remember coming to HW years ago and playing in my first game of Spades on the site. I was a "veteran" player at the time, but there were SOOO many differences in the game (not to mention the fooms, binds, etc) that it took me quit a bit of my 20 provie games just to get ADJUSTED to playing here. And then when I started playing Hearts and Euchre there were STILL a lot of things that I had yet to learn.

...Actually, I STILL learn something new almost every week about playing on the HW game sites!!! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Mon May 15, 2006 6:59 pm

:D Yes, cause it isn't strategy or the rules that new players get confused about, it's the zapping and the reason why they were and how to use ignore buttons and what to do if you want to report, and where to find the report form. 8)
Why players names turn to brown, why are some black and green?
Why the new players get kicked out of a game before it starts. Simple questions really but isn't in the faq's, just normal questions that newbies come across each time they log in. :P