Message for Jonas

jondalar
Active Poster

Message for Jonas

Post by jondalar » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:24 pm

Hi,
My name is Rod Tennant (Jondalar is one of my nics) and I have used the bind function to create a few ASCII representations of various things like animals, angels, etc.

Innocently, I showed the lobby, specifically, my friends, what I had created. Wow! It caused an uproar with two guides that were cloaked. They said I was flooding the lobby and it won't be tolerated (the character was a bat and it took 15 lines). I felt I was being singled out because many folks, including guides, do the same thing… they show their creations. Some guides even show their ASCII art as I did. For example, one showed a Tiger that surely was more than 15 lines long.

I really only want to know what the big issue is here? So much stuff is done and said in that lobby that to warn me then silence me because I provide my opinion is, in my opinion, not right. I was dumbfounded to be silenced.

My thought is this: if one member cannot show his/her creation then all members should not as well. This includes guides. I’m not making waves here, just stating an opinion.

By the way, several folks in the lobby and in their game paid compliments on what a wonderful creation this was.
Sincerely,

Rod

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:43 pm

I would like to reply here in 2 ways 1) yes it was creative and cool 2) wrong time to do 16 lines including the "done" statement.

To do this during none peak hours and amybe asking if it is ok prior to doing it would have been cool, but this was not the best timing. Flooding of the lobby is considered anything over 4 lines and this was clearing that and more.

I was not there for the other and do not know when and how it was presented but for my post of a short story it was 4 lines/binds and I allowed time inbetween each line. 16 is 4 times 4 and excessive. The problem would have been resolved had it been taken within reason as explained that night.

I consider you a friend Jon and what transpired was not what I wished would have happened, but it did and hope you understand, if not send me a PM here or we can talk about it.

JUST DUST

PS - hopefully this answers some of the questions
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Camilla Vanilla

Post by Camilla Vanilla » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:50 pm

I just wanted to say I too was chatting in lobby the night that the guide
did the same type of picture in the lobby.......it was well over 15 lines.......
She also did more than one.............So I dont see why there was a double standard let alone the fact that when he defended himself he was silenced for it.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:02 pm

He was not silenced for the picture/flooding/text.

JUST DUST

PS and it is not right or should be a double standard, I was not there for the other.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

hearts14
Active Poster

Post by hearts14 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:04 pm

I think you both missed the point. A guide asked you not to do that. Instead of arguing with them in the lobby, you should of either chatted with them on IM or asked them to MM. If another guide did it, maybe it was wrong too and they were gently reminded - stuff like that we don't know.

I for one don't want to see all those binds in the lobby, if you were proud of your creation, take it to MM to show your friends. And Dust is right, when the lobby is busy with lots of players, we don't need it taken over like that.

Mystique
Active Poster

Post by Mystique » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:05 pm

First, I want to say this post is not meant to guide or player bash.

Both are my friends.

The forum as I have understood it to be is a place where you can view your opions, ask questions or ask for changes.

I would never report a guide or a player who has taken the time to create entertainment for the lobby.

Let's face it, we are here to have fun!!!!! :D

I have witness both guide and player ASCII representations of various things. They were very creative and enjoyed!!!

I was there to witness Jondalar's creation. In fact I said I wanted to see it.

The only time I saw anyone type while he presented his creation was by a guide. Afterwards some of the players applauded his creation even players who were in their games. So, this leads me to believe that the players wanted to see the creation because they did not type while he created it.

I enjoy Jonas's Moon, the Guide and Player Creations.

As far as missing the point I believe you did hearts14. The Guide was in charge. The Guide had the choice of handeling the situation different. The Guide could have asked Jondalar to MM or IM.

I for one was as dis Hearted as Jondalar. A warning and a silence could have been avoided if MM or Im had been suggested before going that far.

The point being made by Jondalar was why some members can do this and other's can't. I did not consider his questions to be that of arguing. He just wanted answers. Like Jondalar I was dumbfounded because we had previously seen guides present their creations and ENJOYED them Greatly!

Thank You for your Entertainment!!

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:37 pm

Guides nor players should be doing large scale ascii art in the main lobbies.

Now hyprocrictially I happen to have a comple of non asci art images that folks request me to do on occation, an I do. However guides nor players should be doing this for the simple reason of rendering the lobby chat useless.

It's also a bit case senstive, in that there are times thats worse than others. If say youre in a league room and eveyone is down with is, probably not gonna have an issue.

Smoots, not so approprate. Epsecialy 15 lines. 3 lines once in a great while say durring non peak times, probalby won't raise any eyebrows. Just use common sense, even if you don't think authority figures are ;)

So feel free to report flood abuse if it's guide or players.

Bottom line is that you probably got silences for argueing not the initial act. Happens all the time, folks do some mild thing, get warned and player turns it into a big thing requireing a silence. Just learn when to fold your cards and start a new game ;)

sdcakasm
Noob

Message for Jonas

Post by sdcakasm » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:11 pm

I don't usually write in the forums, but felt I needed to get involved in this particular topic. I will say this, i like the Guides, I enjoy the cameraderie with them and most times they are fair.
I noticed one of the responders in here stated that Jondalar should have asked the Guide to go to MM. Usually it is the other way around. If a guide has an issue they ask you to go to MM. The bind could have been completed and then Jondalar could have been asked to go to MM, where the Guide could then have explained the situation. Being reprimanded in a lobby of peers for doing something that was not offensive was a bit much. He would have done it once and then known not to do it again without asking.
I have seen all kinds of Ascii and binds done by Guides and players alike. I enjoy them all. I have never felt they infringed upon my talking space. Actually, no offense Jondalar but the best Ascii I have seen was by some of the nicest Guides, and they were quite lengthy.
Recently there was an issue about too many emoticons. I believe something like 3 was said to be allowed. Once again, some of the binds by Guides and Players alike equal 6 or less (and the binds themselves allow for 6).
Speaking for myself, I come to this site and have been on it for 5 years , for enjoyment purposes. There is enough dissension in our lives, so when there is a disagreement between Guides and players, please have the Guide request the player to MM to save embarassment, hard feelings, the taking of sides etc... I think when a Guide does that, it shows class and maturity and not a power show.
Once again, I do like all the Guides, they know the rules better than us, but this is not school.
Thank you for listening.................
I still love you all ..............HUGZ ROUND DA LOBBY!!!
SDC

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:09 pm

:D I was in the lobby when this particular guide did the ascii (if that's the name for it) and I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was quiet in the lobby just general chat, and this guide asked if we would like to see it, and no-one objected to it.
I think it was really clever, and it was only on for a short time, it didn't stop chatting cause we were all looking :D and, like I said, it was quiet in the lobby. 8)

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:58 am

I happned to be one of the guides in there at the time, no not stealth and you say, but in a game helping a player, so I guess my name wasn't in blue at the top,sorry. There were over 240 players in smoots at the time. Most of these players were in a game. Now if you have lobby chat open from a game, the window is small so the graphic just looked like line after line of / | \ etc. I politely asked you to stop flooding after about 10 lines of this. Nobody sent you a warning, nobody silenced you for flooding, we simply asked you to stop. A simple request since it was prime time and there were so many players in smoots at the time.
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:43 am

Guides nor players should be doing large scale ascii art in the main lobbies.
Smoots, not so approprate. Epsecialy 15 lines. 3 lines once in a great while say durring non peak times, probalby won't raise any eyebrows.
I was there when the other guide did the art early on in the day, Saturday, I think, and I will have to say that it was asked that they show that art, they asked if it was ok, and we all said sure. There was also a statement that they would not do the others because (and I quote) "They are for late night, or other rooms". Jon was not in there at the time it was done, though :( . I was not there at anytime at night when a guide did one though, so I can't comment on that. I personally love the art work and feel that a request made to do that, during quiet lobby times wouldn't be out of line, every once in a while. AS LONG AS no one takes exception to it, including the boss, :D . Some of them are smaller ones and not a big deal to me, or anyone else I would wager.

Recently there was an issue about too many emoticons. I believe something like 3 was said to be allowed.

This I have not heard, and don't know if you are talking per line or in a row, in different lines--the game program allows for 5 emotes in the same line or 6 I have a bind I use to say "please don't continue" and it has several in it. If a player was throwing emotes line after line I would ask them to stop, as it would constitute flooding in my opinion.

I would like to say we have had alot of fun in the lobby in hearts in the past few days, and don't let one issue put a damper on that. Like SDC says, we come here to relax and have fun, and I have had a lot of fun with you all the past few days :) :lol: :D

Mystique
Active Poster

Post by Mystique » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:36 am

Oh, I agree with you CR!

I have never laughed so much and felt so welcomed by my friends the Guides and Players since I came back.

The last two weeks have been a HOOT!

It has been so entertaining!!! :D

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:38 am

:D :D :D

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:39 am

Next time you want to show some of your art just ask if people want to see it and invite them to an unoccupied room where you won't interrupt anyone.

Problem solved.

But, I can see where it takes some of the fun out of doing the art if you can't share it with everyone. We have a saying in the design field, "functionality before aestetics." That simply means that your art has to fall within the guidelines of the rules. So, do your fancy fun stuff, but not at the expense of the rules.

Keellie
Active Poster

Post by Keellie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:19 am

There are some people that do not like excessive binding so I agree with admin on this one - take it to another room.

A lot of us disagree that the hearts lobby has been fun the past few weeks. What 4 or 5 people think is the best for the lobby does not mean the majority agrees. The lobby chat is overwhelming and not appropriate some of the time. Open up your msn or aim, create a room for u guyz that are friends, and chat about your personal stuff there but not in the lobby please.