friends list

maggiemae41

friends list

Post by maggiemae41 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:53 pm

I am an old zoner....and I miss my friends list. I would like to see an area in the players column which distinguishes my "friends" from the other players, I can see instantly who is in the room and try and set up a game with them.
This would save me from constantly scrolling through the list to see who is here.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:47 pm

There was another posted who posted on this recently, and I will only restate the advice someone else gave on that post.

you can type /find grandmaS (insert your friends nick instead of mine) to find anyone on the games. It will even tell you if they are anywhere in Hearts, it will say like grandmaS is in gnomes even if you are in smoots. Its a quick easy way to locate your buddies :)

I am woman I am strong

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:55 pm

:D I haven't been playing on another site, so I don't know how the friends list worked there, but I'm a little wary of a list being made of "friends" Does this mean you would only play with those players on your list?
We are in alphabetical order in the lobby and like grandmaS said, you can type /find, I just wouldn't like to see any players being left out of games because they aren't on friends list, which could happen.
Just my opinion :D

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:08 am

Basically what the friends list is a way to reorganize the list of players so that a friends list can be located at the top of the present listing of names allowing for a player to find people that they know to play with. This helps in knowing when they have entered the room and their status IE: in a game, idle, or lobby.

like so:

Friend 1
friend 2
friend 3
lobby players not in a game
idle players
players in a game

It just allow those to locate their friends quicker than haveing to scroll up and down the long list looking for them alpha. and allow them to be placed at the top of what is now the players list.

JUST DUST

PS - I think it would be a good addition for many reasons.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:31 am

:D Ok. Dust, name them please 8) 8) (the reasons) :lol: I need to be persuaded 8)

Mystique
Active Poster

Post by Mystique » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:07 am

In addition maggiemae41 if you have zoner friends playing other hardwood games likes spades, euchre or backgammon you can go to the link silvercrk.com and click on any game to see which friends are in which hardwood game.

For instance ......

Type silvercrk.com in your browser.

Click whatever game you want to see who is online on the far left.

Then scroll down to who's online on the far left and click that.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:11 pm

There are good and bad points to be made for many suggested "improvements". I guess it mainly depends on whether the person evaluating the suggestion feels a need for it personally...

The "/find [nick]" command is good to a point. But there have been many times that I have been online in the past and wondered if there was anyone online in one of the games that I knew. Maybe it's just me gettin' old, but I just cannot remember ALL the nicks of the people I know in HW!!! ...Not that I have THAT many friends, but I DO have a FEW!!!

And then there is the problem with finding people with long or "weird" nicks... like I_know_what_you_did_last_summer, or qrlp144hx975ol to name a few. (No, these are not REAL nicks as far as I know, but I am using them for illustrative purposes.) ONE simple mis-typed character and the nick will not be found...

A "buddies list" would be a welcome addition to many people who have a number of friends/acquaintances at HW and would just like to know who is online at any given time. I don't think having such info available would significantly impact on the ability to get games going with random people. It would simply let people know who is and who isn't "available" at any given time.

The listings available at "silvercrk.com" would not satisfy the requirements very well, since people would have to keep their browser opened and constantly refresh or update the page to see who is on at any given time. The buddy list would be right there in the game window, and would allow the player to see this info at a glance without having to "leave" the game site.

IMHO, if this feature is not too difficult to implement, I would like to see SCE put it into the game window. I just can't seem to think of any valid reasons that it would be a BAD idea, just a few personal preferences that some people might give THINKING they are reasons. 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:54 am

:? Hmmmm, good points, Omni, but I still have to be persuaded that it would be a good thing :lol:

maggiemae41

Post by maggiemae41 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:23 am

What is possibly bad sandbar, about having a friends list. It is just an easier quicker faster way of seeing IMMEDIATELY those you like to play with right away. In fact I'd like to see it posted at the top of the list whether they are in a game or not.
I'd like to see the current listing adjusted with my friends list at the top, then all other players below it. I think the current system of having players in different colours as per their game status is redundant.
Typing in /find friend.....is just a pain and so is constantly scrolling. If I have 10 buddies in the room, I have to sit with a pen and paper.....to list the games they are in....and then go visit. By the time I've done that, their status could also have changed.
If I had a friends list at the top I could right click immediately. Since most of them tend to play together, likely they are at the same table.
Believe me, you would find it a huge improvement.

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:55 am

I think a friends list is a great idea :)

I personally visit with all my friends right from the lobby, with those in the lobby and those in the game!

As you get more used to HW, the communication, while in a game, with those in the lobby, becomes easier. You dont have to go visiting their tables, you can visit right in the lobby with all of them at the same time, while they are in their separate games. (the scrolling lobbies and fast paced chat will get easier i promise, before long.. You can multitask while in games, it just takes a bit to get accustom to it all, but i promise ya you will :))

My friends all change names pretty frequently.. I have chosen to stick mostly to one name so they can recognize me instead of me having to hunt them down in their 100 + names each..

The /find tool is a wonderful tool used to find people who might be in separate rooms. I think its uses are wonderful and totally different than a friends list.. Meaning, it doesnt replace a friends list, but tells you who is in a totally separate room within HW (such as smoots, when you are in gnomes) Those who play spades.. with its many game room variations understand why this is important. (partners, partners mirror & suicide, cutt, individual, leagues etc.. they're all many individual rooms to play in)

A friends list, as you suggested, at the top of the list of players in the room would only tell ya who is in that particular room.. You would still have to exit to (each) another room to see which friends are in those other rooms or use that wonderful /find tool :)

Very good luck..

I think a friends list somehow created which showed all those youve personally added (much like the ignore list) would be great. Add them to the list by right clicking them and adding them same as the ignore option. To view your friends and see where all of them are Have it be a separate window such as the /showbinds page does.. call it /showfriends! :idea: (HW could even limit the list to 20 or 30 names, thus detering friends from creating thousands of names which are never used, just created for the sake of creativity.. Mea Culpa btw!)

ps.. This friends list idea has been mentioned many many many many times in the lobbies, anytime ive been asked about it.. Ive sent players HERE to the forum to request & discuss it.. Ive assured them Jonas & those in the know could communicate with them on the idea here..

xox
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:08 pm

One of the biggests advantages of the friends list is the ability to cheap track of those you like to play, that play the style of play you like and partners, you can add any of thier nics to your list and they will show up there under any of those nics. Whether they are in the lobby at the top, a separate window or by command will mostly be dictated by the easy of program change I am sure.

I know when I first joined here there were certain players I looked for to play because we played well together and had a lot of fun together. Once I learned the game here as it's played I ventured out into playing all kinds of players and learned to adapt my play to theirs.

I see the advantage of this to not only new players but picky players that like a certain style of play and I think it would greatly reduce the number of arguements in the lobby because you know what your getting with those on your list. You can select players that do not P&P is you feel that is a requirement or what other preferences you like.

JUST DUST

PS - I could also make a list that did not include Donkeys because they talk to much and Ogre's hate that.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Bg Trnr
Active Poster

Post by Bg Trnr » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:20 pm

:D Great Idea Maggiemae :D
My question is for Jason ,I guess.I was just wondering if this is possiable to do ? & if so ,how long till we could be using it in the lobbys?

Thanks Bg

maggiemae41

Post by maggiemae41 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:47 pm

thank you all so far that have responded to this posting. I have found this site a bit frustrating because of the lack of a friends list. My main reason for developing one, is based on style of play. There are many here that dont play strict lowman, a style which I've grown much accustomed to.
Again if other's have preferences to play cutthroat, well they could develop their own list and hopefully we will avoid each other LOL....
The point is, one could have a friends list for whatever reason they want, for style of play, for chatting. Some even use it as a do not play list lol.
Its a useful tool.
I would like to add however, that I would prefer to see my buddies in the friends list whether they are in a game or not. Otherwise I still have to scroll to look for them.
To be honest I dont think you need any of this other stuff regarding who is not playing, who is sleeping, and who is in a game.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:16 pm

One of the benifits to seeing who is active in the lobby, or sleeping or in a game is if you say Hi to them and they don't answer you can easily see they are sleeping (or away) or busy in a game and probably don't see you talking to them in the lobby. If they are green in the lobby the odds are if you say hi in the lobby they will see you. :)

Also the guides are blue and that makes them/us easier to spot if you want to know if one of us is around to answer a ? or give a hand with a problem :)

However I see no reason why one would eliminate the other :)

I am woman I am strong

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:32 pm

:lol: Now, if everyone agreed with this post, how boring would it have been? :wink: :wink:
We have had some really interesting replies, and perhaps now it has been explained a little more, I can see a plus as well as the minus, it would be an interesting experience to actually see how it worked, nothing personal, maggie, I just like to look at both sides, and I hope to have a game with you some time :D