hi all

Solstice Moon

hi all

Post by Solstice Moon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:41 am

My first post :)

I'm new to HH and really like it so far. I've nosed around the board to find the topics active members are interested in, topics that mean little to me now but will probably become more important later hehe.

My online "resume" includes a long long stretch with Everquest, so I am familiar with online communities and looking forward to new friends.

My hearts background is family play only, never played partners and never played any of the variant rules that seem so popular here (JoD, no shoot, spot hearts).

I am sticking to solo play for the forseeable future, although I do understand that will limit my opportunities.

I don't see any partnership issues discussed here (well, I didn't read the ENTIRE board). My first take is that cheating is too easy for partners. In a competitve atmosphere, some will do it. Maybe it's too much trouble for most people who just want to play and have fun; or maybe the cheaters don't impact the enjoyment of the other players.

My main concern is IM and other chat programs, but of course there are foom signals etc.. where there's a will, there's a way.

Solstice Moon

Post by Solstice Moon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:45 am

On further reading I do indeed find some posts about cheating! Time to catch up on the forum :)

Mompsu
Big Poster

Post by Mompsu » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:08 pm

Welcome~

to the Boards, Solstice Moon!! Glad that you love to be in Hardwood,
the oldest players are arrond 6 years here already, right from the start of Silvercreeck`s Enchanted Forest..

So hope U will enjoy here so as many of us also.. :D !!

Shiney Babe~ aka Leelo~ aka... :wink: *
Why the oldtime Players leave Hardwood.. Think about it, will ya !!!!

Luna
Active Poster

Post by Luna » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:10 pm

Welcome Sol. If the spot games scare you, play straight 100 point no JOD games. There are plenty of us who like plain old hearts. Playing the bots gets boring, unless you like talking to yourself.

Yes like any online based gaming site cheating can be a problem. My feeling about people who feel the need to cheat at an online game with nothing more on the line then rating points is "get a life". I thinking online cheaters are pretty pathetic, so I don't sweat it. If someone has to cheat to beat me, that's fine. Though no need to cheat to beat me. :oops:

CookinCon

Post by CookinCon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:57 pm

Welcome to the site!

Despite what people say, I don't think there is much cheating in partnership. People accuse us of this because they don't understand the game. If there is communication it is by reading the cards, not im, phone, etc. Also, the game is evolving from what I learned years ago. I have been playing pards for over eight years (online) and only once did someone IM me and ask me what was in my hand. Needless to say, I have never played with that person again. Disregard the accusations! I would be glad to help you learn the game!

We have to remember that there has been cheating going on since the beginning of mankind...not since the advent of the computer! Some people will do it no matter what but the majority of people at Hardwood are there for an honest game. That is the only way to have fun!

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:19 pm

Hello Sol and Welcome to Hardwood Hearts. I too came from straightup hearts but over the years I have come to love all variations of the game including reverse hearts where the loser wins. Many of us have played here for a long time and there are many of us that will help answer any questions you may have. There are leagues here that play just the format your used to.

JUST DUST

PS - any questions just ask
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Welcome Solstice!

love the name :)

Con, great post!

/me pinches Dust.. question for ya on spades forum hon :)

xox
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:33 pm

OW!!!

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:48 pm

:D Hi, Solstice, welcome to Hearts, I haven't come across you yet, but hope to soon. We, well, the majority of us love to just play cards, have a chat with friends and totally enjoy the atmosphere here at Hardwood. :lol:
I too, don't understand cheaters, :roll: because how can their ratings be a true record of their knowledge of the game if they have to cheat to achieve it. I think these players are in the minority however, so, again, welcome to Hearts.
:lol: :lol:

Solstice Moon

Post by Solstice Moon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:11 pm

Thanks very much all :) :)

Becky2555
Guide

Post by Becky2555 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:17 pm

Hi Solstice,

Welcome to the games! Con is a great player, I met her through our games several years ago... she's a great one to learn from. And so are the many others. You will find many people willing to help, just ask around.

As far as cheating goes, I wouldn't give that much thought... nor would I let it discourage me from pard games. I'm confident it is the exception... not the rule.

I came from old fashioned - standard hearts school. But, as time went on playing online becomes a social friendly gathering. It's fun to chat and play and meet new friends. Along with that, pards becomes a fun alternative. I now play pard games more than I do singles. And I play spot hearts 90% over standard play.

Glad you're here and hope you enjoy yourself! :wink:

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:00 am

Hiya Solstice...Welcome to the forum and HW....beware of Ogre's and a sweet lady swingin a didgeridoo...and Hexa has already made a voodoo doll in your likeness....But Im harmless.....like your name by the way... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:10 pm

No He's not

JUST DUST

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:30 pm

See what I mean about Ogre's..... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

UnChain my Hart57
Big Poster

Post by UnChain my Hart57 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:45 am

Welcome to Hardwood. There are some wonderful people here from all walks of life. I agree with some of the others, once i started playing pards, i loved it. You just have to play with some folks and learn their play style. Becky, was one of the first here willing to teach me pards, and she is great. See ya around and if ya ever need help, don't hesitate to holler.