Okay can someone explain this one to me???

Luna
Active Poster

Okay can someone explain this one to me???

Post by Luna » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:51 pm

I consider myself a nice player. I don't call people names, I don't quit when I get hit with the queen when I'm high, I try to aim for low, when my cards suck I try to make light of the situation, and I try to have fun. However I do try to win, though it doesn't happen that much. :oops: :oops:

I don't think this has anything to do with playing lowman, cutthroat, pnp, no pnp, etc. It's just a matter of taking care of one's self and playing the cards as one sees fit.

This is the situation:

West: 58
North: 81
East: 82
South: 39 (me)

It was a pass right and West passed me bare queen of spades. My holding is Qxx. Midway through the hand North lead spades, East takes the lead and plays spades again. I duck, West takes the lead and leads clubs because he's out of spades. East plays a high club, and I drop my bare queen of spades. Both she and North still have spades. She starts fooming me to death. This is the conversation that follows: (names have been changed to East and South)

South: blame West
East: i am not low
South: i am
South: and it was last one
East: stupid
South: am i supposed to eat it????
East: no
East: yr supposed to play for next lowest
South: it was stiff
East: guess u dont understand
South: i'm not gonna aim when it's last 1 in my hand and spades still out
East: i quit being nice
South: i don't understand?
South: i'm low, and i'm trying to win
East: etiquete
South: geez
(next hand with South at 99)
East: lets get this over with (she's takes a heart trick)
South: i'm supposed to eat the queen because it's not polite to hit high?
East: i thought i was p
South: if i'm not low i may not hit there
(during this exchange queen is bled from me and I eat. It's a tie game and we play 2 more hands to break the tie while this discussion continues.)
East: i cant be bothered to explai9n
South: i know what you're saying, but makes no sense there
East: it does if u have brains
South: no you make no sense lmao
East: lmao
South: are you saying i should not try to win?
East: i tried to explain
East: u dont understand
East: i give up
South: i eat the queen if i don't hit (caps)
East: what ya shouting for?

At this point I say no more, because I'm not going to win this arguement. I take my 15 rating points and go home. :lol:

East's profile says something to the effect that one should play nice, or not play. East has a high 1500 rating and considerably more 1sts then 4th. Does East shame people into not trying to win, by badgering them about etiquitte? LMAO

So am I a terrible person who should be banished from Smoots for trying to win?

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:15 pm

Nope and the only thing I would have changed was trying to argue with East. You have to play the cards you have and if your not playing to win then it should be set to social and nobody pays the piper. If someone is going to get that upset over a game that's what they sould start setting their games at. You should play your cards and let others play theirs, you can't see their hand, had you held the queen you would have eaten it and maybe gotten 2nd..... so congrates on your win Luna.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Luna
Active Poster

Post by Luna » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:28 pm

Dust In The Wind wrote:Nope and the only thing I would have changed was trying to argue with East. You have to play the cards you have and if your not playing to win then it should be set to social and nobody pays the piper. If someone is going to get that upset over a game that's what they sould start setting their games at. You should play your cards and let others play theirs, you can't see their hand, had you held the queen you would have eaten it and maybe gotten 2nd..... so congrates on your win Luna.

JUST DUST
You're probably right about arguing with her, but I after awhile it was just fun getting her riled up. LMAO. I just find the sanctimoneous posturing about so called "etiquette" very annoying. That's not an etiquette issue. It's a pure stratagy issue. If I'm not low, I may eat in that spot to prolong game, but again that's stratagy, not etiquette. Etiquette is about how one behaves during the game.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:27 pm

...Etiquette??? "Oh, excuse me! I'll just take that nasty QoS for you!" "Would you like the JoD?"

Hey! When I'm playing a game, I try to be COURTEOUS and POLITE in any chat with other players, but when it comes to the actual PLAYING I am in the game to WIN!!! Otherwise, I would NOT be PLAYING!!! And anyone who doesn't agree with THAT can just take note RIGHT NOW and not bother to sin in a game when they see ME at the table!!!

Luna, you did nothing wrong (except maybe as Dust pointed out in talking to East about it!). Whenever I am low, in fact, I usually try to TARGET high in order to win the game!!! WHAT would be the point in PROLONGING the game by dumping off points on 2nd place when I could win the game by giving those SAME points to HIGH???

But I have seen players make what I personally consider foolish or stupid plays in a game. Sometimes those plays have helped ME, but I STILL consider them dumb plays...

For instance, in one game low could have won the game by giving me the QoS (and had the opportunity to do so) but instead gave it to 2nd place player. When someone ELSE dumped a load of Hearts on me, low actually GAVE me the JoD!!!

Now, this may be "polite" play, but I just don't see the POINT of it!!! Maybe I am just cynical, but I do not see the point of throwing away the game just to be "nice" to another player. If someone WANTS to play that way, then I have no objection to it (OBVIOUSLY!!!), but don't expect ME to reciprocate! If I can dump the QoS on YOU and grab the JoD to win the game, then THAT is what I will DO!

And if playing like THAT offends anyone, then I guess I just don't know how to "play nice"!!! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

Luna
Active Poster

Post by Luna » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:42 pm

omni_555 wrote:...Etiquette??? "Oh, excuse me! I'll just take that nasty QoS for you!" "Would you like the JoD?"

Now, this may be "polite" play, but I just don't see the POINT of it!!! Maybe I am just cynical, but I do not see the point of throwing away the game just to be "nice" to another player. If someone WANTS to play that way, then I have no objection to it (OBVIOUSLY!!!), but don't expect ME to reciprocate! If I can dump the QoS on YOU and grab the JoD to win the game, then THAT is what I will DO!

And if playing like THAT offends anyone, then I guess I just don't know how to "play nice"!!! 8)
LMAO!!! You're welcome to come play with me and anytime, and if you wanna win by beating the crap outta me, be my guest. But given the amount of talk on pnp, nothing surprises me around here.

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:36 pm

Well, Luna, it goes BOTH ways!!! When playing, I try to "beat the crap outta" my opps, BUT I also expect THEM to to their DARNEDEST to "beat the crap outta" ME as well!

After all, how ELSE can we have good, fun, competitive games! 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

buck910721
Noob

Post by buck910721 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:27 pm

u go luna next week its slamming an p&p ing lessons at 9pm in wizards see ya there
:lol:

Luna
Active Poster

Post by Luna » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:51 pm

buck910721 wrote:u go luna next week its slamming an p&p ing lessons at 9pm in wizards see ya there
:lol:
LMAO!!! I need slamming high lessons. I'm waaaaaay too nice. :lol:

elpuddin

Post by elpuddin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:18 pm

Luna,
I agree with Dust and Omni. I particularly like Omni's defense of how he plays the game, (but why should you defend winning, that's the point) The problem is we are all preaching to the choir. I don't think you are too sensitive, unfortunately there are a lotta jerks out there, and apparently, from your description, they are not all men.

Is Hardwood listening???

I have a new attitude thanks to you guys. You have restored my faith
.......in myself.

Most nice people when confronted wonder what they did wrong.
We are doing nothing wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So let the games begin!
Happy Dumping,
(that's the holiday between Halloween and Thanksgiving).
elpuddin aka nephromancer

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:14 pm

...Etiquette??? "Oh, excuse me! I'll just take that nasty QoS for you!" "Would you like the JoD?"

I just love this comment, Omni, and while I play very similar to Luna, I really am doing my darndest to win :? Errrrrrr, nobody read my stats please, :roll:
I come 3rds and 4ths more times than I can count, but I just love playing, I won't argue with the other players, but if I get dumped on I sure am going to try and dump back. :D
8)

Luna
Active Poster

Post by Luna » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:45 pm

elpuddin wrote:Luna,
Happy Dumping,
(that's the holiday between Halloween and Thanksgiving).
Hmmmmm, I looked for Dumping holiday cards today at the Hallmark store, couldn't find them. I guess I have to wait until the Halloween junk is put away. :lol: