Any advice for those wanting to improve their game?????

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Any advice for those wanting to improve their game?????

Post by Sweetness n Light » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:27 pm

In the past we have played hearts in our family as a "fun" game - lots of laughing with chocolates and boasting rights for a week, for the winner.

I have since played some online versions and found some of the games to be amazingly vicious - slash and burn affairs.

But then i have played some really enjoyable games where the other players clearly know what they are doing, they play strategically and successfully gift wrap the Queen of Spades just for the low player every time !! These game were a joy to lose and left me wanting more!!

On the euchre forum, one of the top players posted some Basics on how to play beyond just card tossing - which was excellent !! Are there some any Hearts players who could share their experience on playing classic 100 point game too???? Or even some links to any relevant websites ???

I am sooooooooooo bad at hearts - any help would be appreciated !!

Cheeers
Sweetness n Light

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:36 pm

:D Here is one site you might find useful :D

http://codepoet.org/~markw/hearts/

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 pm

That is an excellent site for the basics. There are so many differences in opinion on how to play hearts but that site gives a good overview. From there asking a good player for some one-on-one is the next step. It also matters what kind of game you will be playing because strat. changes with the variations of the game from standard 100 point game to SPOT games to NO SHOOTS to PARDS.

Each one requires different skill sets but the basic/original game is the best way to learn Hearts. What few people do is teach when someone does make what they consider a mistake and just go off zapping the players or calling them names. When someone does do that and you are the "zapped" ask them to explain after the game and how you can improve your play. Sometimes it's is good advice but over time you will learn good from bad.

The first rule in any card game though "IS PAY ATTENTION TO THE CARDS" talking in the lobby while playing, feeding the dog inbetween tricks or doing laundry will not HELP you win games. If your here to have fun and talk just pick any card and say OOOPPPSSS!!!

JUST DUST

PS - That site only deals with 100 point reg hearts FYI, the other games are simular but require a different thought pattern to be good at them.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Post by Sweetness n Light » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:35 pm

:D Thanks Sandbar and Dust !!
That site looks like what i was looking for for starters - much appreciated .

Cheers

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:45 pm

:P You are welcome anytime, hope you win heaps :wink:

Memphoman
Active Poster

Post by Memphoman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:00 pm

simple guide for "regular" hearts, 100 pt shoot...
1. Always cover UR passes IF possible(keep a heart larger than 1 U pass)
2. Try and hit low person
3. Don't dump points arbitrarily
4. Don't break hearts on low person
5. Consider aiding "safety" moon to high person to allow game to continue
6. Play as if there is only a 1st place and that it is the only place to finish
7. Although P&P is legal, most good hearts players can win without it.
8. IF your right of low, refrain from leading spades if at all possible

these pointers will allow you to play with class and skill and win

Luna
Active Poster

Post by Luna » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:00 pm

Memphoman wrote:simple guide for "regular" hearts, 100 pt shoot...
1. Always cover UR passes IF possible(keep a heart larger than 1 U pass)
2. Try and hit low person
3. Don't dump points arbitrarily
4. Don't break hearts on low person
5. Consider aiding "safety" moon to high person to allow game to continue
6. Play as if there is only a 1st place and that it is the only place to finish
7. Although P&P is legal, most good hearts players can win without it.
8. IF your right of low, refrain from leading spades if at all possible

these pointers will allow you to play with class and skill and win
Maybe I'm being dyslexic, but on # 8 don't you mean if you're on low's left don't lead spades? If low is to the right of me, and I lead spades I give low a free ride with his A or K. Also I'm possibly forcing one of the non lows to play his A or K, allowing low to dump the Q on it.

I think that is one of my major pet peeves is when someone gives low the free ride to his A or K. My other pet peeve is leading low's void suit, which might make a good #9.

Memphoman
Active Poster

Post by Memphoman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:45 pm

yep, meant my other right...and agree with UR #9, see lots continue to lead spades even when low is void in that suit too.

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Post by Sweetness n Light » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:28 am

Are you just trying to confuse me ??? Cos it worked !!

Now "my other right" sadly i do understand that !!

Hey, Thanks for those 8/ 9 points - so now all i have to do is:

- practice those those 9
- work out how to count cards in a way i can manage- (ie i lead = 4 of a suit)
- remember my right and my other right !!
- remember to focus passing strategies on high and low
- get brazen enough to play real people
- ignore the nasties lol

wow - and i do this for fun ??
:D :D :D :D

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

General Advice / Hearts

Post by Joe Andrews » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:52 pm

In my book ("Win At Hearts"), published back in 1983, and revised since then, I listed ten Hearts tips. These were intended primarily for the novice player; however, they do have relevance to all levels of skill.

Here they are:

THE PASS:

1. Do not keep the spade Queen in your hand, unless you have at least four (other) spades accompanying her. (Of course, there are some exceptions, here).

2. The Ace or King of spades are best passed, when you have two or less supporting (smaller) spades in your hand.

3. Never pass a spade lower than the Queen. (Yes, there are some rare exceptions, here)

4. You should pass to improve your hand, and not necessarily to "burn" a particular opponent.

-----------------------

THE PLAY:

5. If you hold the spade Queen after the pass, try to unload her as soon as possible unless your hand is absolutely safe. (The score will always be a factor, here).

6. Do not play for the "Moon", unless your hand has the right combination of key cards, and no losing medium or small heart.

7. It usually does not pay to eat more than 10 points trying to stop a Moon. (Once again, the score may be a factor, and you may have to keep the game alive).

8. If you pass a low or medium heart to an opponent, and he/she leads this card after taking in the spade Queen, you MUST win this trick. (You will incur the wrath of the ops if this player shoots after you duck!)

9. If a player (on lead) does not lead a spade early in the hand, you may assume that he/she has spade problems, or is up to no good!

10. Count those suits which are important to your hand, and be leery of a player who leads low cards early, or discards low cards of certain suits.

----------------------

I am sure that there are other tips which can be added.

Enjoy life - play hearts!