Choose the hand!

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

Choose the hand!

Post by Joe Andrews » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:56 pm

Assume that the nine of spades has been turned. The score is 9 - 9 . This hand will decide the game.

The dealer holds (after he picks up the ninespot of spades:)

Right Bower, Left Bower, nine of spades, Ace of clubs, Ace of hearts.

The Eldest hand (defender to the left, and player with the opening lead), holds this collection:

Ace of spades, King of Spades, Queen of Spades, ten of spades, and the Ace of diamonds.

Do you want to defend? Do you want to be the dealer? Can the hand be made if the player with the Bowers has the opening lead?

Put your thinking cap on for this one!

up a crk
Noob

Post by up a crk » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:00 pm

Dealer has game wether he/she or player to the left leads, as long as he/she uses off suit, and doesnt come out with both bowers.

Defender leads trump, dealer plays bower, then ace off suit... game is over dealer wins

Defender leads trump, dealer takes with bower, then leads other bower...game is over defender wins

Dealer leads bower, then ace off suit ......game over dealer wins.

As long as dealer doesnt get to excited and lead both bowers then game is theirs.

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

Yes, indeed!

Post by Joe Andrews » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:51 pm

Well done, great analysis...

Doc
Active Poster

Post by Doc » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:10 pm

I actually like this question cuz so many ppl would read up a crk's responce and agree. But then give 'em that hand and watch 'em blow it.

Eldest actually has an easy decission, and ideally is the one that called trump. He needs to get the bowers out so his low trump and ace are good. Really crappy thing for first chair is that even if the dealer isn't that great of a player.....he'll probably play defensive given that he was ordered and that he can see that nobody else has trump on the first trick. (I don't know why but I always feel like I'm being set up to lose when I'm eldest and this gets dealt). Technically, eldest would have to sence the dealers excitiment and desire to pick it up (not easy to do online btw) and pass, then lead the spade ace like he doesn't have much but is just playin tough cuz it's 9-9 and sucker dealer into playing both bars.

You know the interesting thing about hands like this are the odds of that happening are like 1 in 12 million. But hw is a land of enchantment where odds mean nothing and hands like that can be seen 1 in 12 some days.

maktub
Active Poster

Post by maktub » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:23 pm

lol a new motto:

Hardwood... Hands of Enchantment.
:)

robby_shipe

Re: Choose the hand!

Post by robby_shipe » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:32 pm

First off i'd like to introduce myself if you don't know me :D . I'm robby, and no im not the best player on here, far from it! so take my opinions w/ a grain of salt :) . ok situation time! i know im probably a little late to respond on this one, but this situation is puzzling. First off, the dealer should not be in that situation because the guy in he first seat should have called :D . But if this did freakishly get to the dealer, I would want to be that dealer. I had to break out real cards as a visual for this one. The only way that he (from now on will be the dealer) can be euchred is if trump is lead. If trump is lead, he sees that neither his p or the guy in third seat has trump. So the 10 is lead, Ii trump w/ left or right (doesnt matter). I take the trick, and being usually skeptical I would NOT lead the left, the ace of hearts sounds good (to pull out trump). Ok the ace gets trumped by the queen and the first seat guy takes it. Right here the game is mine, but I dont know that yet. King or ace of spades is lead, easy! i can trump that with my right, lead my ace of clubs, get that trumped by the other spade, and trump their ace of diamonds with the 9. and if the ace is lead, well i can trump that w/ a 9 and lead right. The key, i think is holding the right, your garunteed 2 tricks and after you use the left you still have one garunteed trick left. DONT WASTE IT. By seeing the fact that my p or the third seat guy has no trump and ALWAYS assuming that all 7 trump are out there, I knew that leading the right to pull is useless. I know i cant write very well you might lose focus b/c of that, ask me about this and I will try my best to explain it.
robby

Harden1313
Active Poster

Re: Choose the hand!

Post by Harden1313 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:07 pm

This exact situation isn't something you'll see everyday but you do see the dealer pick up a bower, then while holding both of them and random shhtuff throw the jacks out straight away. I call this the Prom Night mentality...think about it :wink:

Nothing makes you want to pull out your hair more. Sitting their watching this happen, thinking why didn't you give me a chance moron? Hopefully as this train wreck is happening you don't get euchred....and those two points you could have smacked down with your ace and trump? Yeah, you wish.

(oh....good to be back! My computer was a victim of an assassination attempt. My wife tried to kill it with virus stew while I was away. :cry: )