Hi everyone

Harden1313
Active Poster

Hi everyone

Post by Harden1313 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:09 am

I just found you about a week ago and I thought I'd drop by to say hello. I'm really happy to come across a place like your's that's not only easier on the eyes than a lot of the other popular sites but also has better players (or at least those that are more serious about the game as a whole). A few other sites I've been on seem to be a frustrating journey of wading through the drunken night players (hey I love to drink and play...but some people only get that first part done :) ) and people who for some reason genuinely don't seem to care if they win or lose (they usually end up in the seat across from me). I guess you have a great balance of people who know how to have fun but still get through a game pretty quickly :D

I wanted to see if anyone ever asks you for help with their game play? I've been playing for years in a whole family of euchre fanatics but still remain the worst of them since I was the only one who moved away from New York!! I'd love the chance to learn from some good players that wouldn't mind teaching a young pup like me the finesse side of my game. Respect in my family boils down to five things....can you shoot darts? how much do you love hockey? how fun are you when you drink? how hard do you work and how well do you hold your own at the euchre table? My goal is simple....I want to be half as good as my father at this game.....a steel worker who played an uncountable number of hands everyday during his lunch break for 35 years, started playing in a bar "subbing" for guys who were taking bathroom breaks when he was 11 and who when partnered with any one of my uncles has never let me win more than one game in a row...or even an hour. :cry: I thought I'd at least see if anyone was willing to give me some pointers. If not I'm still really happy I found this site and I look forward to meeting you at the tables.

Pat Harden
Colorado Springs :wink:
Last edited by Harden1313 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Euchre Buff
Noob

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Euchre Buff » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:26 am

Hello Pat,
read the euchre forum, (The G with some basics) which is about six underneath this one. it helped me plenty.
Buff

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:57 am

Welcome Pat, I hope you enjoy it here :) We do!

There are lots of people happy to help to someone new learn the ropes. Players and guides alike, to spot a guide look for a blue name at the top of the list in the games. We also have greeters who you can't tell they are greeters but they can tell if you are new ;)

Reading that post by G, might take you a month or so to read and try the tips but it has lots of wonderful information.

Hugs and Smiles
Linda/grandmaS

I am woman I am strong

maktub
Active Poster

Post by maktub » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:04 am

Hi Pat,

You are a gifted writer in that you have caused us, in so few words, to feel your cause and to understand your plight, bringing us right there in your living room (or a poorly managed bar) romanticized as the seeking child. Well done. This we understand.

I play very much by the rules that the previous poster mentioned. Look over those posts. Consider them guidelines. But trust your instincts more than anything. Everytime you second guess anything.. for all those... damn, i shoulda... resolve yourself to know that next time you will.
It is written.

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:17 am

Wow, quick responses! Thanks for getting to my post so quickly you guys. I browsed through 'The G with some basics' but didn't get to the added posts yet. Thanks for the advice Euchre Buff. I've read "The Columbus Book of Euchre" which is a nice (short) book about how they focus on the game in Ohio and a lot of the same points are covered in that as in the 'G basics" post. After I get a chance to go through everything in that post and have a chance to fold some of it into my game I'll let ya know how it goes.

I consider myself a decent player, and even though I'm still at the stage where I have to actively think about those general concepts outlined in "G Basics" as to not have frequent brain farts, the majority of the holes in my game are ones I don't even know are holes...(if that makes sense). I find myself sitting there after a loss wondering....should I have led that trump our tried an off card? should I have thrown that 9 from my long suit or gone for another? should I have called next there? There are probably hundreds of other things I could've should've done but didn't even realize. Time is what it will mostly take to go from this plateau of 'decent' play to something more. Thanks for the help and encouragement and I'll see you guys here in the forum and at the tables! :D

Pat

Ratwhowillbeking
Noob

Post by Ratwhowillbeking » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Maktub is right ... you are very good writer.

Start by calling more often... at first you will probably end up losing more pts than you gain but if you pay close attention to what is going wrong, you will begin to figure out how to play and read cards much better.

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Ha! Yup, somewhere along the way I learned the English language...now if I can just learn to type!! My wife actually hates the fact that I don't write more, but I'm actually a pencil artist so that takes up what little time I have spend at my desk.

Again, thanks everyone for welcoming me. I've been calling a heck of a lot and to quote G: I think I'm addicted to calling! My biggest problem now is actually finding good games on HW. They're all fun, and some are more challenging than others but I'm a little tired of having poor partners (and timid partners for that matter). I'm not complaining or saying I'm anything special (far from it) but I would like a partner that doesn't give a heart attack or premature baldness every time I sit down! :D Did any of you share the same problem when you first came here?

maktub
Active Poster

Post by maktub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 pm

I have to say that it's the rate you are playing with. Once you develop a decent rating, you'll find yourself in more competitve games where people aren't so afraid of calling.

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:47 pm

I know there is a certain percentage of games that must be completed before you can make higher restrictions when you create a table online.....but what are they? I'd love to create a table and keep the rating requirement above 1500 if I could, any help? :D

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 pm

You must play 20 rated games. To become rated :)

I am woman I am strong

cowboyschick
Active Poster

Post by cowboyschick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:33 pm

You need to be non-provisional and have a rating 25 points over the rating u wanna set....so if you have a nik with a rating of 1525 u would choose to set a game +50 and that would make the game set 1500...if you had a rating of 1575 it would set 1550 unless u changed it to + -100 :? hope i didnt confuse ya instead of help ya

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:48 am

Hey Cowboy.....can you run that by me one more time? :D

That's exactly what I don't understand. Is there a FAQ on this?

If I set it at -50/+ that means it will set it at 25 points below my current rating?

cowboyschick
Active Poster

Post by cowboyschick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:29 am

ummm yeah exactly....so now its quiz time lets say your rating is 1686 and you choose a +- 50 what will your game set at?and btw the longer you are here the more you will realize ....dun try and understand jus go with it. :lol:

maktub
Active Poster

Post by maktub » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:14 pm

lol, it will set a 1650 game, of course. Hi Stacey. :)

The way it works, Pat, is you have to be at least 25 points higher to set your game on 50 point increments. So, if your rating is 1515, it will set your game to 1450, however, if your rating was 1525, it would set at 1500. If you wish to set a 1550 game, you must have a rating of at least 1575. If you want to set a 1600 game then your rating must be at least 1625.
I hope that helps. :)

-=*^-.,^-.,Susan*^=._.:--->->--;-<(@`

Todd Johnson
Active Poster

Post by Todd Johnson » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi, welcome to Hardwood. Many of us are competitive here, especially me. :)

I think one of the most important things you need to do to get better at the game is to remember you have a partner. I almost always call if I think I can get two tricks, even if I am going against Hoyle's rules. Another thing is that you can use the cards people play as a window to see what else they have in their hand. For example, if I lead an ace of spades from first seat, the player to the left of me follows suit with a king, my partner follows with a queen, and the dealer follows suit with the 9. I take the trick, but the cards tell me what they have or don't have. The opponent on my left doesn't have any spades left because they played a king under my ace, and the queen is out because my partner had it. But the dealer played the 9, so that means the 10 and jack are still out, assuming clubs is not trump. The dealer is most likely to have one of those. Many "good" players fail to read cards like this.

Sorry I'm not that great of a writer, but I like to think I'm damn good at cards. Hopefully you can understand what I'm saying. ;)

-Todd