Network Congestion

minerquad

Network Congestion

Post by minerquad » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:06 am

While trying to play HW Euchre online I'm repeatedly getting the stinky turtle. I have Cable connection with fairly fast speeds, winxp, 2 G RAM, blah, blah, blah. My download and upload times are fast and yet everytime I go to HW E I have the turtle problem. I have been kicked out of games and banned from games due to my slow response. Can anyone help me figure out what to do? I have gone into Windows firewall and "add port" for the euchre port as suggested in the FAQ. I regularly run spyware and antivirus, delete cookies, temp internet files, etc.

Any other suggestions?

Thx

Amanda

Harden1313
Active Poster

Re: Network Congestion

Post by Harden1313 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:07 am

I suggest openly eating a bowl of turtle soup as you play while wearing a "Down With Turtles" t-shirt. Letting the turtles know where you stand is the first step in showing them that you won't be pushed around. Maybe even an "I Bet On The Rabbit" shirt would help. Fight for freedom sister, you're not alone. :mrgreen:

(I have no real answers for you....sorry....I get the damn turtle too)

minerquad

Post by minerquad » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:34 am

Do you also get booted and banned from every bleeping game? Darn turtle!

WIST
Grand Master

Post by WIST » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:29 pm

Amanda, i have always heard that running other programs can slow down response time (i'm only parrotting what i've been told, i'm no techie).

Have you tried shutting down other programs that may be running in the background.. or things like IMs or music or or. I have cable also and almost never see a turtle.

Give it a try with only HW open. good luck !
for what it's worth

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:42 pm

Yep the more you are running the more bandwidth you are using. If you downloading music, Windows updates, anti-virus definitions, reading email online, and doing IM's while trying to play a game of euchre... depending on your PC, you ISP, the overall network traffic and the route your connection is using to the server will effect the appearance of "turtles" and whether or not they have their shields/shells up blocking you connection.

There are lots of other reasons for "turtles", some things that can affect your connection, Proxy server, Internet security you have installed on your PC or your network connection where it's checking each packet coming or going to the server, anti-virus settings and a few other crazy things. Setting the site as an "TRUSTED/ALLOWED SITE" in your various software packages may fix the problem. Some routers/switches have security software in use also. Some ISP's will help you resolve issues such as this free of charge and they have a more direct link to your actual environment and maybe able to fix the problem if it is in a ISP provided package which most do now, providing everything from anti-virus to firewall protection. Port settings are also a common error.

It could also be your video setting, if your using "enhanced video" in euchre. It can go where it works at first and stops working well over a period of time and turning it off may make all the difference in the world. You may even be able to turn it back on again.

Many malicious softwares (adware, worms, etc.) will slow you PC down to the point of no return, the worse PC that I have ever fixed had over 600 various programs installed on it to the point you couldn't even use safemode... errors would pop up so fast that you couldn't close them fast enough until the final error would shut down Windows. It took 2 days to recover that one, since it had data on it that couldn't be lost.

You can also purchase a shotgun for the turtle, but his cousin will take his place.

JUST DUST

PS - Sorry I can't give you more detail but I do not know what's on your PC or what your using and is not easy troubleshooting a problem this way.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!