thinking or delaying

chasarsenal

thinking or delaying

Post by chasarsenal » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:22 am

Any One got any ideas how this can be stopped it ruins a good game of euchre i got 1 idea cut the thinking time down to 2 seconds and if you have not called you miss out and the game passses on everyone will stop delaying then for wot ever reason there doing it :wink:

In2ition
Active Poster

Re: thinking or delaying

Post by In2ition » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:34 am

A big part of me would tend to agree with you except for one thing.... Those of us who live in other countries are subject to a slightly slower connection. While some are slower than others, sometimes it's not by choice.
Confucious Say : War not determine who is right.... War determine who is left!

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:51 am

I also have to think of those that have disabilities and will not be able to keep up with the 2 second rule. I myself love fast paste games but can and do allow for those that cannot. In2 also brings valid points about those that have many routers and switches to go through to get a connection not even mentioning those that are stuck on dial-up for various reasons (availability being one).

JUST DUST

PS - Besides the fact in the time alotted I can run to the frig, get a drink or let the dogs out or some other short term tasks that requires my attention. If I have to let the dogs out more than once while playing a game, then kick me.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

In2ition
Active Poster

Post by In2ition » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:04 am

Is drunkeness classed as a disabililty?? :twisted:

And a fast "paste" game... could get a little sticky :wink:
Confucious Say : War not determine who is right.... War determine who is left!

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:39 pm

Drunkeness as a disability.... it depends upon whether or not it is voluntary or forced and if it's sudden or gradual. Also key here is whether or not you can see the individual cards or have complete forgotten where your hand is let alone being able to determine if your throwing a card out on the table rather than a slice of pizza.

JUST DUST

PS - Yes some it could be a disability others it may enhance their play.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Todd Johnson
Active Poster

Post by Todd Johnson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Controlling ones time to think is pretty hardcore, try using it to your advantage when you are playing against someone who pauses frequently. Unless they have kids, then the pause isn't probably cause they have two of that suit. :)

-Todd

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:07 pm

I myself Todd know pretty much how the cards are going to play before the first card is thrown and have np keeping up with the flow and I do see your point that once trump is known, the hand should be done in about 20 to 30 secs. I can understand hesitation when being ordered up, but otherwise if your paying attention you already know how you playing your hand. I play hearts and spades the same way. Do I hate playing a slow game... yes, but I can adapt for someone having justified problems or in the case of a few friends just throwing some cards around and talking I can do that too. It is only polite for someone that does expect long delays during the game to let the others know. You can also check pings to tell if it's a connection related problem and as with any network or connection or PC it can hang.... "cyber limbo".

What solution maybe where that is an option to set delay time between plays, timer comes up quicker and less time on the clock and would suggest adding it to a poll to make that a variable in the program. Not saying that it will be done, but one way to draw attention to it and get a feel how the rest of the players feel. Think you will find about a 50/50 split since there are players that like that time to think, keep watch on the lobby, flip da burger, listen to their child ask a question, pet the dog.......

JUST DUST

wolf_139
Active Poster

Post by wolf_139 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:59 pm

honestly the delay timer is a bit long and if they are in such need of long stops in between plays there is a pause button.. i use it frequently because i have 2 young boys running around so i have to be on my toes if the wife isnt paying attention. either way other than a shorter timer how about an anti cheat system or something to those lines i know a few other sites run them and it posts what you are doing in game... so if your back and forth to messenger a lot everyone knows you are cheating. most say its an invasion of privacy. but the way i see it what could you possibly do during a game that would invade your privacy other than cheating.

ps. most of these anti cheat program show if there is a voice convo active as well so it would at least cut the cheats down to using the phone and spending money to do so.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:12 pm

None of them detect phones or cell phones, and I can tell you have unlimited anywhere minutes day or night on my home phone and tons on my cell too, if someone really wanted to cheat it would be easy and there wouldn't be a way to catch them.

We have to trust that most are honest and wouldn't use IM's, camara's or phones to cheat and if by some chance they think a few rating points (which I hate to tell you are worth nothing) then its them that have to look at their selves in the mirror.

Some do have valid reasons for needing to think longer, either because they have a disability or because real life interferes sometimes (kids, dogs, phones, doorbells to list a few).

I know some are extremely competitive but lets try to remember its a game and if you lose no one is going to take your paycheck or your birthday...........

I am woman I am strong

Todd Johnson
Active Poster

Post by Todd Johnson » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:33 am

wolf_139 wrote:honestly the delay timer is a bit long and if they are in such need of long stops in between plays there is a pause button.. i use it frequently because i have 2 young boys running around so i have to be on my toes if the wife isnt paying attention. either way other than a shorter timer how about an anti cheat system or something to those lines i know a few other sites run them and it posts what you are doing in game... so if your back and forth to messenger a lot everyone knows you are cheating. most say its an invasion of privacy. but the way i see it what could you possibly do during a game that would invade your privacy other than cheating.

ps. most of these anti cheat program show if there is a voice convo active as well so it would at least cut the cheats down to using the phone and spending money to do so.
Just because someone has a messanger program running while they play euchre does not mean they are cheating. They could be talking to friends/family outside of your game.

-Todd

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:17 am

Omg this is too funny. There are a 1000 reasons why sometimes players delay, believe me it aint a biggy. You know if players cheat by replaying games, and they have to perfectly lead and call for days on end. There is nothing more ridiculous in my opinion when players make up Nics saying delaying is cheating. Be very careful before you label someone a cheat, ask if they have a disability. iv'e found numerous players that have very genuine reasons for slow play. The only players that delay their play and could be counted as suspect cheats are Nics that play together all the time and don't lose a session, this has happened but not often, they are easily sussed out, they slowly progress up the the ladder and we catch them. Guess what, there isn't any at the moment. Follow the players you think are cheating and i am willing to bet that the next day they struggle to win a single game. The top players certainly don't cheat, they don't have to. Have fun and quicken the pace. hehehehe. :D :D

Eennie Meenie

The G