General HW Euchre Courtesies

Decorum

General HW Euchre Courtesies

Post by Decorum » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:58 am

There seems to have been a huge influx of players into HW Euchre lately. This can only be a great thing as it will make it easier to get a game going, and hopefully make the competition even tighter. That being said, the players that have been here for years tend to play by an unwritten code. A few little things that we stick to and expect others to as well. They're not huge things, but they can bring on frustration when players swim against the flow time and time again.

I know that players out there have pet hates... things they think players just shouldn't do, so i want to open it up and get input from everyone and hopefully put together a list that people can follow, knowing they're playing a courteous/gentlemanly game.
I'll kick the ball off with a couple of the most common ones i hear.

1. Play best of 3
It's such a small thing but it cheeses a lot of players off, more so the higher the rate. When you have to sit there for an awful long time to get a game, there's nothing more frustrating then getting one game in and having the op bail out. Most people would offer a double or nothing if they were playing pool... why should HW be any different. If you dont have the time for more then one, then at least let the other players know.

2. Chat in the lobby if you're not playing the game
Again its such a small thing, but if you're not playing the game and you want to chat to someone thats in the game, then chat in the lobby rather than flood the game chat with your personal conversation. Just a little respect for the other players there. They may be more interested in their cards then what you're having for dinner.

There's a couple of starters anyway. If anyone can think of more to add, please fire away.

Harden1313
Active Poster

Re: General HW Euchre Courtesies

Post by Harden1313 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:31 pm

I've noticed quite a few extremely rude people on HW lately. One thing I could do without is the *SNIP*who can't accept losing and has to call you a bagger or say you're cheating. I had an opponent order the deal into my hands yesterday and then get euchred and called me a bagger?! :shock: (that was then followed by racial slurs and all kinds of stuff when my partner came to my defense and pointed out that he didn't have a single trump :roll: )

This is probably something that has been beat to death but what is the policy on this kind of stuff? Is there a three strike rule and then your email gets banned from making characters at the very least? I know people could just go make another email address with which to log in but it would help make it harder and there for more of a hassle for them.

What about the Super Foom-O-Holics? Nothing is more annoying than waiting 5 second for your stupid kiss cloud to clear so I can see the card, especially when said kiss was sent because you thought that right bower your partner had was just oh such a great and clever stop. :?: I think that there should be foom options when you create a table, like one a round or something.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:19 pm

Name calling is not allowed,in the games or on the boards and if reported goes against ones record. Racial comments are grounds for immediate banning, again if reported, if you don't bother to file a report or call a guide (if one is present) so that they can check the chat nothing will be done because no one but you will know it happened.

Fooms are a big part of this site Silver Creek/Hardwood Euchre, Spades, Hearts and Backgammon, it is one of the things people come to the site for, people have a limit to the amount of fooms per round and that is preset by the game itself. You can turn fooms off in your settings, it won't stop them from happening but it will stop you from seeing them.

Also although some of you have "made up your own rules" like someone must play you at least 3 games, they are not site rules and as such if someone chooses not to go by them they are not being "rude" or breaking any rules. They are going by the rules of the site, some people like to come in a play a quick game on thier lunch break or before bed. They are well within thier rights to leave after completing a full game. Now if you were complaining about someone quitting during a game that would be another story.

Being curtious goes both ways, try to understand that while you like sets of 3, or more some like to play a game or two, some like to move to another table if they feel they are in a "losing seat" :) or just to meet and play with lots of different people. You choose to wait however long for a high rated game, they choose to play one game and move on, its all about choices we each make for ourselves on how we want to play the game, as long as its within the rules :)

I am woman I am strong

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:12 am

I'm sorry but I really hate all these extra "rules" and the silly (imo) things that certain people consider rude. For example:

1. Don't dump on the high man in Hearts: heck, if I'm going to wind up with the QS if I don't, you're darned right I'm gonna dump her on the high man.

2. Don't set the opps in Spades if you're guaranteed to win the game: why the heck not? It's not rude, it's not against the rules so I'm gonna do it if I can.

3. Don't go alone on 8 or 9 in Euchre: if I have a loner (which, believe me, is flippin' rare), I'm gonna play just for the pleasure of actually having one for a change.

These are just an example of the many I've encountered over the years. None of them break site rules and all of them are legal game plays. If you don't like it happening to you, then play another table when the game is over or go to another site. It happens, get over it. It's a game site, not real life and goodness knows, there are more important things in life.

This post is just my opinion and not meant to be a slur upon anyone so don't take it personally, anyone. :)
Last edited by PurplePeril on Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:26 am

But I like to make my own rules........

1) Rule #36 - never euchre Da Ogre
2) Rule #48 - never set Da Ogre
3) Rule #1 - Always help Da Ogre win
4) Rule #296 - Don't pull on Supermans Cape
5) Etc. and never forget rule #1

JUST DUST

PS - LOL

PS - FYI Purple it's dumping queen on highman that's some feel is bad, even if your the one that's going to get it with the exception if they were in your shoes.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:00 am

lol ... that'll teach me to proof read my posts properly, Dusty, 'cos that's exactly what I meant. I'll edit it now. ;)
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:03 am

When it comes to people bailing after one game I believe most people would be happy with a simple "hi you all doing? This is going to be a quick one for me, gotta get back to work" or something. It's just nice to know I guess.

As for going alone on eight the problem is simply that unless it's a laydown set of cards you're taking the risk of only getting the 1 point and your partner may be holding the cards that could help get that second one to win the game. To me it's not so much rude as it is just plain dumb. (if you actually want to win that is) :lol:

As for the racial slurs and stuff I did call the guides but no one came. Two times this has happened and no guides were around. Is there another way to report it? :?:
Last edited by Harden1313 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:53 am

Yes, you can report it without a guide, simply (while still at the table) click the game information tab, click the lobby menu button, click the file report button, click go to report form. And fill out the information, this can all be done from the table which will allow admin to review the chat and see the person making the comments. Doing this will not take you off the table you are playing on so it can be done quite quickly and back to your playing.

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Decorum wrote: 2. Chat in the lobby if you're not playing the game
Again its such a small thing, but if you're not playing the game and you want to chat to someone thats in the game, then chat in the lobby rather than flood the game chat with your personal conversation. Just a little respect for the other players there. They may be more interested in their cards then what you're having for dinner.
Ha, how right you are. I was just playing with a lower nic and an opponent is chatting away with someone watching and I asked them if they could chat in the lobby. Right away both Op's start raining lighting fooms at me and calling me a D*ck telling me how rude I am etc etc. Some ignore buttons worked well but how flipping annoying can you possibly be? And then go on to ramble about how you can't stand how rude people have become on HW? :lol: :roll:

It's just a fact that when most people sit down to play they would rather pay attention to the game then hear what happened to so and so or how your car wreck settlement is playing out. When I'm in a game and I know everyone I'll chit chat or whatever but if someone comes into our game I'm not going to sit there and make them put up with the story about how my daughter fell off the jungle gym while they're trying to play cards.

wolf_139
Active Poster

Post by wolf_139 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:20 pm

sorry got no problem with some of the unwritten rules

but these are things that are just common courtesy

one of you mentions playing your loners on 8 or 9 in euchre.. its not an unwritten rule try playing a tour and ordering a loner on 8 or 9 not just here but in real life. in real life... you will get yourself rude remarks and on occasion i have seen people get their head kicked in. which has caused most tournament groups who run live tourneys to use the loner on 8 or 9 = DQ here it just gets you rude comments for being classless and a DQ in the tourney rooms

DEVILISH_1

Post by DEVILISH_1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:01 pm

I find it funny on these so called unwritten rules or Should be known things some of you speak of. 1 the one game thing well there's no rule anywhere that says u must play more then one game in-a-row. To keep jumping once game is done is a form of rank/ladder play to get rated up faster. Now the going alone on 8 or 9 is not a rule in hoyle at all it's a made up rule people addapted themselfs. Sure if u play that way and rules are set that way for a tourney so be it. Also in different area's of the world euchre has many different rules. But nonetheless of what has been said on these most are made up by players who play that way or how they been taught. just like when u first learn to play monopoly most of us never played by the real rules we made up some. Just like these ones.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:41 am

DEVILISH, it's called common courtesy, nothing to do with socalled rules. It is very rare to see a player play one game when they lose, it's mostly a jump in and out when they win. Pretty rare in a 2000 game, players won't let that player sit again. As for going alone on 9, that is just plain ego tripping, as for on 8, sure i will go alone on 8 if i call a loner from the 3rd seat, why? because it takes my P out of the game and the 1st lead in the hand, they might lead what i don't want. Going alone on 9 is very common in GP tourneys where every point counts, but on HW, why would ya. :( :(

Eennie Meenie

The G

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:09 pm

My pet hate is players not have the common courtesy of at least a 'hi'
Image I have the body of a god... Buddha!

whee1s
Noob

Post by whee1s » Sat May 01, 2010 6:20 pm

I agree with some of these so-called rules but when people don't follow them I don't let it ruin my playing time.The one about going alone on 8 or 9.I agree completely with G.On 9 is just childish unless in live tourny but not on-line.On 8 sometimes you feel you need your p out of the way to sweep it.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon May 10, 2010 7:34 am

I like MY rules... LOL

JUST DUST

PS - and hate anyone that adopts MY same rules LOL
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!