Being voted off before start of a game

mycat44

Being voted off before start of a game

Post by mycat44 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Why would someone vote you off before the start of a game?

grandmaS
Grand Master

Re: Being voted off before start of a game

Post by grandmaS » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:27 am

Host has that right, it was put in so that if someone was bothering someone else they could keep them out of thier games.

However, it is used for many reasons, they don't like the rating you have, they are waiting for someone, too many quits on your record and on and on.

Don't let it bother you just pick another game it will be more fun for you then playing at a table where the host is looking for something or someone else. :)

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

Hoax
Noob

Post by Hoax » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Partners that frequently play together will boot opposition simply because they don't want to risk losing their precious rating points. I figure if they do that they must not have much faith in their ability so ithey are not worthy opponents anyway. Good advice - pick another game where the players are a little more considerate of others.

grandmaS wrote:Host has that right, it was put in so that if someone was bothering someone else they could keep them out of thier games.

However, it is used for many reasons, they don't like the rating you have, they are waiting for someone, too many quits on your record and on and on.

Don't let it bother you just pick another game it will be more fun for you then playing at a table where the host is looking for something or someone else. :)

Hugs and Smiles

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Why give the host that right when the host doesn't have the right to boot a player who becomes abusive after the game starts? If the host kick/bans you from a game, they should at least be obligated to tell you why.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:36 pm

And the idea that you can be kicked/banned because they don't like your rating doesn't hold water. If they want no ratings below a certain value, they can set the table that way.

In case you can't tell, I feel it is incredibly rude for a game host to kick/ban a player with no explanation. If I enter a game and someone says they are waiting for someone else, I will leave on my own, tyvm. Kick/ban someone who has no regard for this and stays anyway, but don't use this as your first option if I join your game and qualified for the level you set your table at.
-Brian

Euchre Buff
Noob

Post by Euchre Buff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:59 pm

Sailing Away, don't take it so personal. As GrandmaS said there are many reasons for doing this. People mainly get booted in Provi games with ratings of 12 or 1300. The table setting there has to be anyone, but if a provi player has a rating of 1580 and the person joining has something like 1240 or 1300, the player with the bigger points gets near to nothing, the 1240 player ends up getting over 20. But hey thats only one reason, there are dozens, you will learn to accept it. A booting from a game is very rare to be a personal thing. Lol. Go join another game. Buffo.

WIST
Grand Master

Post by WIST » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:36 pm

Sailing_Away wrote:Why give the host that right when the host doesn't have the right to boot a player who becomes abusive after the game starts? If the host kick/bans you from a game, they should at least be obligated to tell you why.
As grandmaS said, the kick button was initially given for people who had issues with certain others. Perhaps someone was following them from table to table or someone who had a hidden agenda.

Once a game starts, you have 3 tools to help you with abusive players. You have a wonderful tool called the ignore button. By using this feature, you don't have to listen to someone who is abusive. Using it is like pressing the MUTE button on your television. You can also call for guide assistance. If that's not available, there is both a lobby and table report system available.

I never take a kick personally .. i tell myself, i'm a threat (and everyone knows this isn't true, but the thought makes me smile).

Happy Gaming !
for what it's worth

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:51 pm

I play in hearts, not euchre, but I assume it works the same way both places. If you dont want a provisional player you can set that V rating too. Therefore, if you dont want to play provisionals and you dont want to play anyone with a rating below 1400, you can set your table for rated players only, 1400+. Don't set for "any" then kick people for it.

I just think it would be common courtesy to ask people to leave and explain why rather than using kick/ban. Leave such extreme controls for extreme situations, in my opinion.
-Brian

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:09 pm

The kick/ban button has a purpose, some that you don't want to play with will not leave (I personally don't kick players that I set a game for) it is there for those that are stalking a player or abusive in some other way and I agree with it being there.

Yes it would be for those of us that are not stalkers or abusive to have some kind of explaination but have found it wasn't worth it and learned to just move on to the next game. I also figured they lost a great opportunity to play with an Ogre and it is their loss.

It doesn't really matter their reason for kicking you or anyone else and they don't want to take the time to explain to each person that enters the game, so they are rude and you probably wouldn't have enjoyed the game anyways.... count it as a blessing they didn't allow you the pain of playing them.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Net Ranger
Active Poster

Post by Net Ranger » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:54 am

Euchre's has to be the strangest game that HW has put out. No other game has such a large concentration of low rated nics (by low i mean sub 1500). i know Spades has a significantly higher population, but at any time of day it's not a hard thing to set a 1700+ table and have it filled in seconds. Try doing that in euchre in a non-US peak time. Spades players reset their nics if they hit below 1500. Other players appreciate that. I boot people frequently. I consider myself to be a not too bad player. But every now and then the card gods frown on you and no matter what you call the op has 10 of them. Why should i lose 20+ points to a player thats rated 1200 due to pure luck? Easy, i wont. If you dont have enough pride to reset your nic and strive for a higher rating, then prepare to be booted. I dont offer an explanation because it should be obvious :) It's rare to see players booted from a rated game. Normally only happens in provi's and thats normally the only reason other then the booter finding the bootee an unpleasant person.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:16 am

Yep, reset if your below 1500 is an auto upgrade to your ratings if you get to that point, yes you do have to play those 20 games again but think of how much fun that was and maybe this time you may hit that magic number and win 20 for 20.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:53 am

Sailing_Away wrote:I play in hearts, not euchre,
I used to be a hearts player. Is there still any partnership games going? That was by far the most fun game HW ever offered.

But this is what I wished to clarify.
Sailing_Away Styx fan wrote: If you dont want a provisional player you can set that V rating too.
Not if you are provi too. One may only set a V table once one has earned the 20 game Veteran status too.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:17 am

A fair number of people play pards there... majority seem to like singles with the JOD, spot hearts etc. and pards are about always set with those options too. I like straight singles.... yes still am talking card game here... no JOD, no spot, shoot bonus. That is real "hearts", IMO.

I didnt realize you meant as a provi yourself, so thanks for the clarification.
-Brian

Hoax
Noob

Post by Hoax » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Euchre Buff wrote:Sailing Away, don't take it so personal. As GrandmaS said there are many reasons for doing this. People mainly get booted in Provi games with ratings of 12 or 1300. The table setting there has to be anyone, but if a provi player has a rating of 1580 and the person joining has something like 1240 or 1300, the player with the bigger points gets near to nothing, the 1240 player ends up getting over 20. But hey thats only one reason, there are dozens, you will learn to accept it. A booting from a game is very rare to be a personal thing. Lol. Go join another game. Buffo.
It may not be personal but it is very rude to boot a player simply because of their rating. Ratings of 1300 are very rare but losing the first two or three games on a provi nic is not. That automatically puts a person in a deficit situation. I guess if the euchre rating is so precious to a person then I agree that they are not worthy of being my opponent. I have lost to some 1300 players in provi games and I still have my house and my car and I also have my self-respect. I also respect everyone's right to play in an open game (regardless of their rating) as long as they respect others at the table. We are each entitled to express our opinion and I hope that if anyone boots me from a table they will politely ask me to leave. I will apology and politely do as asked.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:09 pm

I am beginning to think that courtesy is so rare here that to expect a game host to be polite and ask you to leave so that you can politely accomodate such a request without a boot.... well that's just so radical it threatens the very social fabric that is Hardwood.
-Brian