Being voted off before start of a game

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Re: Being voted off before start of a game

Post by GTO RACER » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Sailing_Away wrote:I am beginning to think that courtesy is so rare here that to expect a game host to be polite and ask you to leave so that you can politely accomodate such a request without a boot.... well that's just so radical it threatens the very social fabric that is Hardwood.

Honestly until you've played Hearts or Spades.... don't even complain about being kicked in Euchre... it happens on a much lower percentage than it does in those two games. Try going into Hearts or Spades, esp Partner games, as a newbie. Hard to even get a seat at times if you don't know someone.

Net Ranger
Active Poster

Post by Net Ranger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:28 pm

It may not be personal but it is very rude to boot a player simply because of their rating. Ratings of 1300 are very rare but losing the first two or three games on a provi nic is not.
I disagree with that. I think it's rude not to reset your rating. Ratings of 1300 are rare... in hearts and spades. Because people there have basically been trained by 1500+ players to reset if they sink below, and try again to get some positive stats. I don't think it's nasty or condescending. I actually think it shows pride. It shows that you are striving to be a better player. It has nothing to do with the social aspect of the game. I chat with anyone who sits in one of my games. I try to be courteous and polite to anyone who sits at my table. The very object of the game however, is to win. People will try to argue that point and play the social/fun point of view. That's fine. You can try. You will fail :twisted: The idea of the game is to get to 10 points before the opposition do. For doing that you are rewarded with rating points. More times then not, it requires skill to do that. Sometimes you get a game that is pure luck of the cards. No matter what you do there's just no getting around it. Why should i take a bigger hit from someone that chose not to strive to be better and just got lucky?

Making the game more competitive will not detract from the social aspect of it. If you want to solve the problem of people getting booted, stop making established players having to go through the provi rubbish each time they make a new nic. Provi status should be for new players to HW, or not at all. Just my opinion (but maybe another one for the suggestion compilation Dust ;) )

Any one that has a problem with being booted from a game, i strongly suggest you go and sit in the HW Spades partners lobby for 10 minutes. You'll see that euchre players have been patient long enough. Lift your game or reset it :)

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:26 pm

About all my ratings seem to settle around 1350 (hearts). I noticed that the players who play pards end up with high ratings, and that when I tried pards my ratings climbed. Not sure why it would be easier to increase your rating playing pards vs playing singles. If I reset and play only singles, 1350 is where I end up.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Net Ranger
Active Poster

Post by Net Ranger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:54 pm

lol reset it and i wont boot ya ;)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:45 am

I have plenty of hearts singles (no pards games) well over 1600... so I don't settle in at 1350....

JUST DUST

PS - It's because I cheat and use ESP and mirrors
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!