Unreal high ranking?

whee1s
Noob

Unreal high ranking?

Post by whee1s » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:46 am

Hi all,
I'm not new to HW,been playing here for about 4 yrs now.I am though new to this forum.I've been discussing with other members how unreal these top 25 rankings have gotten in about the last 6 months or so.
I can remember when a 1900 was a very good ranking but here recently these 2100 and 2200 is just hard to believe.I'm not no euchre pro but i have been told i have a very good game.I work my butt off to get my rankings up to the 1900s.I've been told a couple different scenarios by other HW vets.One is that the players using IMing and on-line phones has gotten way out of hand.Second is something to do with these clics of players who some how forfit points back and forth to each other.It's there any way HW can prevent the IMing and on-line phone cheating.I also think that has alot to do with all these lopsided games.Other players seem to agree wih me that instead of a ranking to some how use the winning and losing precentage.I do love this site.I have made lots of friends but anymore after a couple of games it gets discouraging.

callme7
Active Poster

Re: Unreal high ranking?

Post by callme7 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:08 am

Omg where do you get this unadulterated crap from. Not one of the top players cheat, infact they are beyond reproach on the subject. I will name the players so you will leave them out of your rubbish insinuations. Myself, Andy, Janet, Justin, Brent, Bre, Stacey, DeWayne, Josh, Todd, Chris C, Terri, Aurora, Lora, Matty, Jules, Ash, Steve, Goga, Tamara, Sandra, Mike, Bonnie, Clint, Vonnie, Vonnie's Steve, Dave, Maggie, Tony, Jules and a few others. 2000 and 2100 nics are not hard to achieve if you are a good player. You have to put the time in for this to happen. Please tell us out of these players who uses IM or a phone, i have never heard anything so damn ridiculous, none of these players would even think of doing that, they don't have to. There is nothing worse than someone coming along and blaming cheating for their game, because that's what you have done. What i suggest to you wheels, is read the Forum i started off then play with some good players and get your 2000 nic, but don't tell us there is a clique of players that protect their ratings. If you haven't already guessed i'm bloody angry about this. Invite me into your game Mr. Wheels i more than likely can help you, but don't tell me i cheat or you will bite off more than you can chew. You may say you didn't say that, but you have put a slur on everyone of the top players. :oops: :oops:

Eennie Meenie

The G.
Last edited by callme7 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chaotic1

Post by Chaotic1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:31 am

HI...

First of all, I would like to say Wheels...you say you worked your butt off to reach your 1900 ranking and thats great, congrats on that, and assuming you didnt need any form of cheating to do so, how can you suggest that those players who have surpassed that rating have cheated. They merely worked just as hard to reach their top ratings. As for using a system that goes by your win/lose ratio, well many of us have asked and/or suggested HW do this. However, they dont, so we play based on our ratings. As for top players 'sharing' ratings back and forth, it may seem that way to you, but look around and you will see that once you reach a certain rating the choices of who you play with become slim, so while it may seem to you that there is a clique that only plays together it is merely because there is only a handful of players that have attained that 2000+ rating. I also suggest to you that you look for Garry, I spent months playing many games with him and having him watch my games and he did wonders for my game. To throw out your 'cheating' accusations just shows your lack of understanding for the game. Lopsided game...yes there is many, no one knows this better then G, it is known he gets the worst cards ever, but you quickly learn that a good player knows how to play those bad cards. A wise man once told me "somedays you get the cards...somedays the cards get you. (HEHE..thanks Matty :wink: ) In just about every game I play those words ring true. I play consistently with the same partner now for the last 6 months, and trust me we have had our fair share of HW bad deals, but we ride it out. We play great together and have not once ever needed nor considered the use of any IM's or phones to get us through any game, as is the same with any top player on hw. Furthermore Wheels...find any of the players that G named and ask anyone of them for a game, you will see that not knowing any of them personally or having them on IM that you will win more then you lose with them as a partner. Maybe then you can go back and discuss with your other 'HW vets' how these players truly understand the game and dont need any form of cheating to get where they are. But...dont take away from the countless hours spent, the hard work and level of skill these players have reached by saying thats its merely passing ratings back and forth and cheating that gets them to where they are today :!: :!: Keep playing that 1900, get it to 2000 and beyond, there is a great need for more players at this level, it gets to be a bit frustrating to have to wait 30 mins or more for a game. :wink:

Lora

whee1s
Noob

Post by whee1s » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:57 pm

First of all I apologize to anyone i insulted that was not my intetions.I was simply asking if what I had been told was true.After seeing the angry response I got I won't bother anyone with any more questions.

Chaotic1

Post by Chaotic1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:18 pm

Wheels....asking questions is never frowned upon...protrayin us a cheaters isnt cool. That is really what we were defending there. So perhaps before jumping to those conclusions, ask anyone of us for a game, or sit in a 2000+ game as a watcher. We dont learn if we dont ask.

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Post by GTO RACER » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:48 am

Wheels just to add a bit more clarification into the rating assessment.... hopefully it will help you understand it better.

When I first started playing on Hardwood 1600s were top 25..YES> 1600s.. you read that right. Eventually that turned into 17s , 18s, etc.

During that time as the new levels were reached it was a huge huge struggle to get there and stay there due to one of the old Hardwood limitations. That limitation was having ONLY the +/-100 Table setting. The choice of whom to sit with if you wanted a bigger game were very limited. Often I remember playing my 1825+ when that was top in a 1700 game because at one point that was the highest online and therefore the only one able to set a "highest" table. What happened in that situation if the 3 other peeps that sat were say just barely 1700s was ... on any win I would gain 3 points or less... and on losses I would lose 20+. Some games were 0 points gained even though all players were withing 150 pts of each other.

Fast forward to now. With the implementation of the additional table settings, specifically the +/- 50, higher ratings are obtainable more quickly and efficiently. Last night I sat for a 10 game series on a 2100 game and I was going up 20+ on a win and down 20+ on a loss. So if I won 5 games in a row, while the + would get progressively smaller with each consecutive win.. but with 5 successive games I am defnitely assured of adding around 100 points to my score. If I start out at 2100 I will be around 2200 easily within an hour. That was the case last evening. I was ALMOSt at 2200.. then the opps cards were stacked an I ended up lower than where I started. I would have continued to play but the game broke up as there were not many peeps who could sit at the table once one left.

Back in the day... for every loss you would need to win a handful of games to even make up your loss. That is no longer the case. High ratings are easier to reach.

The only thing that I will state in regards to the cheating accusations is this. Those kinds of accusations are old. I guarantee you there is no cheating going on in any of the higher games that I play in. We all love a really really good game of skill and cheating does not involve skill, that's for sure.

Cheating accusations in my opinion come from people who don't truly understand the strategy of the game and are close minded to learning beyond their current ability. It is easier for them to make innuendos or blunt accusations of cheating rather than take the time to sit and really learn.

whee1s
Noob

Post by whee1s » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Thank You very much for explaining it all to me GTO Racer.I really appreciate that.Like I said I am truely sorry for implying cheating was involved that was my dumb butt believing what some other idiots were tellin me and like an idiot myself I belived them and let it get to me.I really do feel bad.Next time I ask any questions I WILL BE MORE CAREFUL the way I ask it. Again Thank You very much.

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Post by GTO RACER » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:30 pm

whee1s wrote:Thank You very much for explaining it all to me GTO Racer.I really appreciate that.Like I said I am truely sorry for implying cheating was involved that was my dumb butt believing what some other idiots were tellin me and like an idiot myself I belived them and let it get to me.I really do feel bad.Next time I ask any questions I WILL BE MORE CAREFUL the way I ask it. Again Thank You very much.

My pleasure wheels. And for your own future reference, if you have at least the basics of euchre, you can also get up there quickly. The key is to only sit in tables rated at the maximum you can get in.. and ONLY those tables.

If you have a 1618... only sit with that nic at a 1600 table.. nothing lower.. 1765 nic... ONLY sit at a 1750...Also don't get antsy and set one if you can't set the max rating you can get into. If you do this you will risk mininimal rating points. Take one of your nics and try it with just that one.... and see how it fares out. Also don't table jump.. sit and ride a table out.. don't leave a table after one loss. Also unless you know a player is solid.. don't sit with someone who loses more than they win. Also if for ex.. you are down in a series... let's say you started with 1760 and are at a 1750 table.... and now you are down to 1675. DO NOT LEAVE THE TABLE... if you are going to continue to play your best bet even if people leave is to sit and wait. The table is set at 1750 so only 1750+ will sit in comparison to your 1675. Staying at that table is most beneficial to the rating because you will gain more points on each win than with equally rated players. Wins in this scenario will get you back up to where you were quicker than leaving and sitting at a lower table. Once you leave you cannot get back into that game.. so weigh that carefully as well.

I am IN NO MEANS condoning this or saying that the above is right... for all of the peeps that will attack that last paragraph. DON'T!!!! All I am saying is follow those guidelines and you will move up the ranks quicker than trump tramping around. Besides skill.. that's the way to do it.

I've played my nics in all kinds of games.. including one of my 2000s to sub in a rated tourney cuz i happened to be in there with it.... so I'm not afraid to risk my points.. but I prefer not to. That's just me and it's my choice.

So for all of those who will undoubtedly read this response and try to rip it apart... just don't.. It's informational only.

That is how you capitalize on the rating system. Skill is necessary to a degree but beyond that follow those guidelines and you will see for yourself how quickly you will climb the rating ranks.

Also thanks for standing up to your original posting and making good on it. That is a rarity in general anymore.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:52 pm

/Ogre cheats... uses ESP and mirrors behind opt., sometimes looking in your glasses work....

JUST DUST

PS - Oh yeah forgot about da elf I hired to look in your hand, but he's blind......
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Post by GTO RACER » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Dust In The Wind wrote:/Ogre cheats... uses ESP and mirrors behind opt., sometimes looking in your glasses work....

JUST DUST

PS - Oh yeah forgot about da elf I hired to look in your hand, but he's blind......
Dust darling.. we know the Ogre is really you. ;) And hey.. long time no see... would be nice to throw some cards again... been a LONG time!

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:42 pm

callme7 wrote:You have to put the time in for this to happen.
That answer alone would have sufficed. ;)

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:47 pm

Yes I would love that very much GTO and plan on playing some more euchre again, left it for a little while to play some spades. I played a few games last night with some random pards and have to say we didn't do poorly... trying to get my mind set back into euchre. I figure if my my euchres to opt. are even or ahead of my loners it's about about right. I figure I get euchred maybe once every other game and that tells me I'm taking enough chances on close call hands, not too much and enough. Your not going to get every called hand and how many times your euchred is a good indication of your calls, if your never getting euchred then your not calling enough.

I also like to "slay the dragon" and some hands you have that perfect hand for another to call and if your pard you get the 2 or if opt. you "Slay" them... I mean euchre them. Aces and jacks makes for a good slay hand if it's ones and twos over the suits for a good call and can help pard no matter what they call.

Just need a few more games to warm up......

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:48 pm

the thing that makes a Euchre Player great, in my opinion, is a willingness to take a chance... which means a lot of failure!

A willingness to call it or go broke. An almost mocking scorn at fate... a "bring it on" attitude.

a...I can't stand this game, and yet here I am again and again, kinda thing. Once that trampire bites ya.. there be no rest for the dead. it's true. :)

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:43 pm

LOL, yep Risk is cool and you know pretty quick if your dead or not, so no long prolong death march. I try to mix my play up so basically they can't draw a bead in their sights as to how I play and can counter it. I won't shy from risk when risk dictates it's "DO OR DIE".... 9 to anything is a good indicator.

I really like euchre for the quickness of the game, I can play 3 games of euchre in the time it takes for a good game of hearts or spades (which I also like quick play). All the games have a risk factor in them. Other thing I find is that most of the euchre players really understand the game. I find it also easier to teach players euchre than hearts or spades.

All the games have their own features that bring players to the tables.

A lot of people associate high ranking with cheating and it's not just here or just card play. It's that old if I can't achieve it then it must have been cheating or kissing butt (sorry Jeff, not you). Should someone not play to the best of their ability to allow everyone to be on the same level? Should all are football teams be 8-8 at the end of the season or baseball 81-81? Maybe your boss and their boss should be not our boss... what am I saying of course they shouldn't......

Yes I have seen those they have cheated in a game, I just don't play them anymore, their loss. Very rare have I seen those players get to the top before they are actually caught. Most of the time those that will cheat were not good to begin with and they only way they could get above average was to cheat... it shows when they don't have their cheat with them in their play, it also shows in their play when they do. I really enjoy beating someone that is....

JUST DUST

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:41 pm

it's such a no-brainer to me so I never felt a need to extrapolate on it.
the cheating thing.

anyway