Game Setting Options

EUCHREtimesTWO

Game Setting Options

Post by EUCHREtimesTWO » Tue May 05, 2009 11:21 am

This is a suggestion I have been thinking about for a while. There are a lot of hit and run opponents at Hardwood. When people enter and leave games so abruptly it becomes difficult to get a good best of 3 or best of 5 series. If a player leaves when the series is 1-1, and a win will put your teams rating up to the next rating level, then the player entering the game might only get one game because you may want to rehost one level higher.

In the higher rated games this is not a problem, but the players in the lower ratings deserve a best of # series too. Just add a best of 3 or 5 series to the game host option. If a player leaves early, then that player(and that player only) will be penalized with a loss/losses(if more than one game remaining). I think that this would be something fairly easy and quick for hw to add, and it would greatly reduce the hit and runners.

The great thing about this is that if anyone cannot commit to a series, they do not have to play one. It's simply another option for players who prefer to play a series opposed to one game.

chrisdoggg674
Noob

Re: Game Setting Options

Post by chrisdoggg674 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 am

Very good point. Im sure we can all agree that we dont like the hit and runs, well except the ones that hit and run lol.
Its not all that bad when someone loses 1 and runs but when 2 games r played and each has a win no doubt there should be a tie breaker but one leaves cuz they got to say 1701 and dont wanna play against 1600+ so they cut out . Also like u said the lower rating players should be able to get the same best of 3 or 5 games. Cuz we all know if we cant get a high rating game we will start a new character just to get some games and it seems to never fail that only 1 game is played and somebody ends up leaving :diamond: :spade: :heart:

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 pm

I like the idea, it can be fun to play 3 games with the same players (course sometimes its pure torture so you would want to be careful which game you joined) in Backgammon that is a popular option however there you don't get points for each game you get a win, rather you get points for winning 2 out of 3.

I also like it as being another option not a mandatory thing as some come play just one or two at lunch break or before going to bed and wouldnt' want to be obligated to play best 2 out of 3, time wise. :)

I am woman I am strong

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Tue May 05, 2009 7:16 pm

Maybe you set it up so you don't get any points until after you have played your best of 3 or whatever...

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

chrisdoggg674
Noob

Post by chrisdoggg674 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:22 am

Thats an option but the only problem with that would be is if someone has an emergency and has to leave. But at the same time that would be the chance they would take if they chose that option to play best of 3 or 5 :diamond: :spade: :heart: :club:

UpsNDowns

Post by UpsNDowns » Wed May 06, 2009 1:22 pm

I seldom leave a table unless I have played 3 or more games. There is always the exception of an emergency and occasionally I will leave for personal reasons. I would still like to see the option added and I would accept the penalty that came along with it.

It would great it the revision also included the 7's up option. Oh well guess we are all dreaming LOL.
chrisdoggg674 wrote:Thats an option but the only problem with that would be is if someone has an emergency and has to leave. But at the same time that would be the chance they would take if they chose that option to play best of 3 or 5 :diamond: :spade: :heart: :club:

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed May 06, 2009 5:16 pm

Did someone mention 7UPS????

Wow really surprised anyone would suggest 7UP's LOL

JUST DUST

PS - not that I would ever mention it......
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:03 pm

I was down the hallway Dust, i didn't hear you, did you say 7s up? :lol: :lol:

Eennie Meenie

The G

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu May 07, 2009 8:08 am

No I said 7UPS .... yes in this case I think size matters LOL, but you were close

JUST DUST

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 am

I prefer Sprite. :lol:
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu May 07, 2009 3:59 pm

Ok I know your just having fun, and getting your plea for your cause noticed once again. But the player that started this post deserves to have his/her thoughts looked at too, and by now with all this many will not even remember what the post was about to start with. Can we get back on topic please.

This is a suggestion I have been thinking about for a while. There are a lot of hit and run opponents at Hardwood. When people enter and leave games so abruptly it becomes difficult to get a good best of 3 or best of 5 series. If a player leaves when the series is 1-1, and a win will put your teams rating up to the next rating level, then the player entering the game might only get one game because you may want to rehost one level higher.

In the higher rated games this is not a problem, but the players in the lower ratings deserve a best of # series too. Just add a best of 3 or 5 series to the game host option. If a player leaves early, then that player(and that player only) will be penalized with a loss/losses(if more than one game remaining). I think that this would be something fairly easy and quick for hw to add, and it would greatly reduce the hit and runners.

The great thing about this is that if anyone cannot commit to a series, they do not have to play one. It's simply another option for players who prefer to play a series opposed to one game.

I am woman I am strong

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu May 07, 2009 4:58 pm

As stated I can only think of one way that has been suggested and have an "option" of 3 or 5 game sets and with euchre being the quick game it is, I don't see this being outragous. The questions arises how to score such a game set, if you award for the complete game set and a person has to leave then they lose out which for the most part would be seldom since most that would play this set already know they are committing to the set.

If you only award points after the set has been played it makes it worth while to play the set even if you have lost the first 2 games and a win on the 3rd can make a difference in your overall lost if it is scored on the "set" games to be played.

If you award after each game you still risk the potential of a player leaving after winning and gaining so many points, perhaps a penalty would be given for leaving under any circumstances before the "set" is complete. One reason i see if this was incorporated it would be beneficial to not award points until the set is complete and if you leave early you are penalized as if you had lost the set.

JUST DUST

PS - Sorry I had the Hic-7-UPS

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 am

At first glance I wholeheartedly agreed with this idea, but on second glance I confess I must disagree.

Anecdotal evidence it's true, but haven't we all been in game, intending to stay the customary three when onto the stage enters Cousin May with her pet cow Daisy, knock knock.

It happens all the time, unexpectedly. So even with the best of my intentions I will sometimes have to leave. Should I be penalized for this?

Of course not.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri May 08, 2009 3:25 pm

I see what you mean and where the option to hold seats for an invite only game would come into play........

Yeah, I hate when Uncle Albert shows up with his jug from shed

JUST DUST

EUCHREtimesTWO

Post by EUCHREtimesTWO » Tue May 12, 2009 10:59 am

I'm glad to see some positive feedback. And yes dust, the idea was to award points after the set. Upon reading my post over again I noticed I didn't mention that the points would be awarded after the set was completed, with penalties to the person/person's leaving early. I understand you disagreeing with me about the pentalties American Beauty, but the beauty of these options are that they are simply "options". Anyone who may not want to risk points playing a set does not have to.

I guess I need a cool saying down here like everyone else, so I think I'll use this one.

"Michael Jordan plays ball, *snip*, And I talk. Everyone has a talent."
Nick Naylor