Rules for 7's up Euchre

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Rules for 7's up Euchre

Post by Jonas » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:08 pm

I've been trying to track down exactly what IS the rule for 7's up Euchre.

Doing a google search hasn't turned up much. There does seem to be this from the pagat:
32 card Euchre

In some places the 8s and 7s are included in the pack as the lowest cards in each suit, making a pack of 32 or 33 cards. This makes it more uncertain whether the high cards are in play. I am told that 32 card Euchre is the usual version in New Zealand. Also there are a few people in the USA who still play this way.
But it sounded like some folks we're talking about more than just adding in the 7 and 8s to make the 32 card deck.

Thanks for the help.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Re: Rules for 7's up Euchre

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:06 pm

Adding the 7's and 8's is exactly what "7up Euchre" is all about... I don't think anyone was discussing adding any additional rules but this would give players a chance to answer that.... 32 cards deck for the reason you have quoted.

JUST DUST

BTW - In my opinion this would be the single biggest thing SCE could do to up the interest in the game of Euchre at this site.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:22 am

Hi Jonas, the format for the 7s up game are very straight forward, just add the 7s and 8s, it's exactly the same as the game you have now, but with 8 more cards. There is no need at all to alter anything. I suggest that you leave the British rules game just as is. Your version of the game on here is the short game and looks at times like the deal isn't fair, this is where the 7s and 8s do their job. It makes a huge difference to the deal and the successful loners, most are stopped. So i would suggest the moaning will mostly stop as well. I have played alot of 7s in New Zealand and Australia, believe me your patrons will be over the moon if you add this, it's just and option, they can still play the normal 9s up i am assuming. Thanks for inquiring about it. :D :D :D :D :D

Eennie Meenie

The G

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:29 pm

There are a few more things that are generally adopted in the down under 7's up game.

The game usually goes to 11 pts. In the real card game the 5 and 6 cards are used as the scoring cards, progressively showing the pips until all pips show for the winner.

To get 3 or 4 tricks still attracts 1 point to the bidder.

A euchre, as before...2 points

However a loner (or march as it is also known) attracts 3 points rather than the 4 points as in HW.

Thanks Jonas for having a look, believe me, there are a lot of us here who appreciate it and strongly believe it will strengthen your product.

So despite all the criticism I have levelled at HW, I give you a big tick for at least looking.
Image I have the body of a god... Buddha!

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Post by GTO RACER » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:21 am

Just add the extra cards the rules don't need to change. PLEASE

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:22 am

Terry is right, we do play to 11, but just to get the 7s up format would be fantastic, as Janet said, we don't need to mess with the rules, keep it in HW boundaries. The Brit game played in other parts of the world is to 11 points also, HW plays that to 10 points, which is fine.

Eennie Meenie

The G

Bucky
Active Poster

Post by Bucky » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:55 am

I'm happy with either run of the rules. Yes, we play to 11, and loners are worth 3. But honestly i'm happy to play with the rule as they are in HW at the moment, just gimme 8 more cards :) Keep running with this Jonas, please.
"Life is full of little surprises" ~ Pandora

LilRed2003_56
Active Poster

Post by LilRed2003_56 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:26 pm

When I first learned to play Euchre we used 7 up and played to 15 points. But 11 sounds good, leaving the option to play to 15 in.
Live every day to your fullest.
LilRed2004