When is a ban not a ban?

Shifty

When is a ban not a ban?

Post by Shifty » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:27 am

Hi,
I'm going to beat a drum that hasn't been beat for a while now. There are 3 (that i'm currently aware of) banned players that are still floating around hardwood. These 3 that i know of received lifebans, and they received them for very good reason. They are even bold enough to carry on in the lobby and freely admit they have been life banned, and yet funnily enough..... NOTHING HAPPENS!!!

Now i know a life ban = 10,000 days. Thats 27 years. Considering HW games with a lobby are only about 10 years old, surely these particular bans have not expired yet. If my math is out, please correct me.

Each of these players i have brought to the attention of guides in game. 1 in particular i was lucky enough to get a guide to stealth into lobby and actually watch them admit they were banned. Then i had that guides assurance that the information would be forwarded to admin and dealt with.

Sadly, dealt with, seems to mean "nothing will happen". The lobby during peak Australian hours has once again been reduced to a mess. Players are being abused, harassed & threatened. There are no guides to be found. The players in question are aware of this, and they run loose with zero consequence. There can be no denial of this from admin, because this happens day in and day out. It is still happening right now as i type this.

There was a minimum of 20 separate reports filed this evening. I am willing to place money on the fact that those same reports will be filed each and every day for the next 2 weeks. I am willing to place even more money on the fact that nothing will happen.

Therefore, instead of asking admin to deal with this, i'm changing my request. Can you please remove the server rules. Can you please take away the terms i must agree to with each nic i create. They are a waste of time as they are clearly not enforced. They are also misleading. Those who read them may believe they are entering a controlled environment. One that is family orientated. One that is friendly. Can you please instruct your guides not to tell us to file a report anymore as it will have no result, and the 2 or 3 minutes it takes to file them, is 2 or 3 minutes of my life i'll never get back.

Since this is directed at admin, and all reports i've sent your way so far have yielded no result, i will not thank you for your time in reading this, i'll just thank you for providing a place to have a rant.

Have a nice day

Unicron
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Re: When is a ban not a ban?

Post by Unicron » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Hey there player of Eucheric origin,

I am going to go ahead and take a shot at addressing some of your concerns here despite this being an inappropriate place to put them (emails get checked much more regularly than the forums).

When we do "Bans" and they are a permanent ban, they number listed for the player when logged in says 10000 days. It's not really 10000 days, that's just how our particular admin system displays "forever". We pretty much only do those these days for billing problems like bounced checks or stolen credit cards and such.

As a company we have largely moved away from actual banning and into the realm of restrictions. How is that different you might ask? Now instead of say locking you off the server all together when you do something that the general public would consider obscene, we just direct you to a non moderated area. This way they can still play with folks, granted at a much reduced population, and the general population doesn't have to be subjected to whatever got us to restrict you in the first place.

It also was a general company wish to try and give folks second chances so to speak. Over the last few years several individuals that were "banned forever" were given a reprieve and either aloud to rejoin the community or move into Darkhorse with the other restricted folks.

Reports aren't read every day, and by your own volition you said these reports were filed this last evening so they haven't even been read yet. Not knowing the specifics I can't say that there is anyone who should or shouldn't be playing. I have received reports (none recent) saying so and so is in and is a life bannee. In those situations this was a person who was back legitimately and the reporter didn't know it. Fact is restricting/unrestricting is not something we share with people as its private.

If there is indeed someone being rude or poking around when they should be restricted, that will be taken care of when your report is reviewed. Also no need to file 20, 1 works just as well.

That was probably a bit more info than you wanted but should give you an idea of what could be going on. Also reports are not responded to, they are an FYI type communication. If ever you need some sort of response about a problem or situation just drop us an email. Those are always responded to.

Hope that helps :)

Jason

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:14 pm

I was directed to this topic by a guide as I have never ventured into the euchre section. After reading this for some reason it reminded me of a convenience store here in my little town, In that store they have a big sign that says Bad Checks and has the peoples names on it who wrote bad checks and haven't came in and paid for them, It does a very good job of detering others from writing bad checks.

I for 1 think there are some that flat out need to be banned for 1 reason or another some are just rude, obnoxious and obscene , some are blatant cheaters and most of the people in that game type know it.

Back to my bad check sign thingy, maybe Dan could program it so if someone was silenced for 10 minutes a red S and 10 " counting down to zero could be displayed by that persons name, and similar things like that would satisfy people that action had been taken, Its just a thought but there has been a lot of problems in hearts lately and apparently in Euchre also. So much in fact that I haven't played 10 games in the last week when I normally would play a 100 or more.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 pm

You would prolly figure out that player was silenced simply by not seeing him/her run their mouth anymore lol.....personally I think the red S idea is a bad one...it ridicules the person and opens up the door for other players to ridicule them...and usually after their silence is up they come right back mouthin off only this time its directed at the guide...thats an indication an action has been taken lol...

From what I have seen from players reactions in the lobby to having been restricted to Darkhorse is that they dont like it one bit and some but not all change their ways....I like that idea myself.....lawbreakers in prison dont like being locked up with other lawbreakers.......usually there is no one in Darkhorse lol.....so they just sit out their time doing other things until their time is up...

Give the reports time to work.....eventually a constant problem player is dealt with....altho I know you wish it would happen instantly ( as I have wished on occasions).....it isnt going to happen theres too many to deal with....
8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

redheaded stepchild
Active Poster

Post by redheaded stepchild » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Simply amazing. How all these different people are essentially saying the same thing about HW Euchre and Silvercreek. Isnt that very telling? Unicron where is this supposed email that you claim will always get a response. Just like you do not make it eay to get to these forums it also isnt apparently easy to find said magical email adddress. Why dont you make a button or link while you are in HW that will take you directly to these forums or said supposed email address. In the HW lobby you have that "message" that is permantly dispayed showing the offer to buy more games. Why not do something like that to promote this forum. Could there be a reason why you dont want more people coming here?

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:56 am

If you go into your profile then click "web profile" you will see a link to the forum in the blue on the left.... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

redheaded stepchild
Active Poster

Post by redheaded stepchild » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:30 am

Yes I know that, It just seems like a moronic and fubar way of getting to a forum where I think participation in it would be helpful and encouraged by its creators.

redheaded stepchild
Active Poster

Post by redheaded stepchild » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Here is what should deserve a lifetime ban: when an opponent takes a trick and immediately their P says "nsp". Who in all that is Hades thinks that is acceptable. If you have to be a 5 watt light bulb how about waiting till the hand is over if you feel a needless compulsion to say that totally needless crap. That has become my absolute number one annoyance at this place that is not Silvercreek related.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:31 am

Being a novice at Euchre, I fail to understand why that works you up. Turn off chatting and fooming if that irritates you.

Some people just want to play a friendly game. nsp, ns, nm, ty, yw, pass the beer, blah blah blah will continue as long as people have keyboards and think it's friendly to compliment their partners & opponents. Ever just sit around a table with friends and chat and banter while you play? Same thing.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."