Continuing the Count's example

Hero
Active Poster

Continuing the Count's example

Post by Hero » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:08 am

I know this isn't a tip forum, but some people liked the tips that Count gave, so what the heck!

First off, What the count said was 100% true. Agressiveness is key. However, don't be too hasty to call. Sometimes I love it when I know my opponent is gonna call lite, and I sit back and laugh at my pending euchre. If you are equal in all suits, pass.
Next, aces first, can't be worse; aces last, may actually pass. Keep your aces till the end of the hand, unless of course you have too many to handle.
And the most important thing I can tell anyone is the importance of the up-card. Depending on what's passed, one can, with enough practice, know what's in people hands with almost 50% accuracy. Example: if a red bower is passed, bet your paycheck that they want to call black. Call the same colour of your opponents passed bower and be amazed at how many trump your partner has. There are many other uses of the up-card, but I would hate to drone on.
Sorry if this offends anyone, I am just trying to help some players that want to learn some more advanced tactics. At anytime you can message me in Hardwood for some tips (I am Young Hero); I would be glad to help you.
And I am in no way implying that I am advanced enough to give out tips; these are merely my opinions! (I am in no way liable for any euchres that happen with my advice :? ... oh, and rememebr that you and your partner are allowed 2 euchres each :lol: )
Life is too short to waste . . . let's play some Euchre.

the count24
Active Poster

Hey Hero!

Post by the count24 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:05 pm

Nicely said on how to read your opponents hands. It's fun to share tips and opinions about this game we all know and enjoy. Hopefully the game will become stronger, more competitive and for many.....more fun.

I know there's a lot of excellent players on hardwoods and I'm hoping to learn a little bit from everyone....to bring my game to the next level.
always play your best, and keep counting.....

Capt_MacLeod
Active Poster

Post by Capt_MacLeod » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:11 pm

I'd like to thank the heck out of both of you. Euchre is a game that LOOKS pretty simple, but I've had nothing but trouble being more than just occasionally lucky when playing. The stuff you guys are giving is EXACTLY what I need to hopefully get competitive!

Now if I just had time to PLAY...
Seamus MacLeod
a.k.a.
(the Glow-In-The-Dark Kitty Cat)

TrickS
Big Poster

Post by TrickS » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:01 am

Hey thanks guys.....it's always nice to share tips and strategies. Have any more?? Keep 'em coming!! :wink:

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:10 pm

Euchre is a game that LOOKS pretty simple
I think that is why a lot of people don't try it. Once you get to playing, it is the one of the most challenging games I know of. When you can turn around what seems to be an automatic win from the opponants, you will be on your way to becoming a master of the game. The problem most people make is waiting too long in the game to become aggressive. Make the move at 3 to 1 instead of 8 to 4. I am still learning myself so none of the advise given is absolute. :wink:
Have Fun, Play Fair, and Keep the Card Gods Happy!

GTO RACER
Active Poster

My 2 cents

Post by GTO RACER » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:27 pm

Well i guess everyone know that i need 2 put my 2 cents in so here goes. These are the biggest things that i do the most that work MOST of the time. First of all I never pass up a 3 trump 2 suited opportunity bauers or not. The percentage rate of trying it every time is greater than if you get scared and don't. Okay so i'm not always 2 suited when i try it. It depends on the feeling i have for that hand. If I am 3 suited w/1 off ace i'll go for it 2 especially if it is the opposite suite in the same color my opponents turned down. Next this has about an 80% success rate. My p deals everyone passes 1st round. my opponent to the right passes. In my hand it looks like i have junk. But if i have K-9 i'll order it up. a K-9 is very successful in this position opposite the dealer. How many suited ur doesn't matter. you have a king and nine in one suit and you have an opposite color ace. Believe it or not this probably only hasn't gotten me and my p a point only once or twice considering it is an incredibly lite hand. But anyway those are my best kept secrets and remember I will not be held liable if they don't work for you. Have fun and Play alot of EUchre!!!!!

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:54 pm

I can't pass up the two-suited, three trump call even if it's the 9, 10, left.

I make it more often than not and make the point. And, I can't tell you how horrible it feels to pass it up only to have the opponents call on a loner hand - and get it

One point I can't stress enough. Do NOT lead trump to your opponent, unless you think you have enough in your hand to upset his hand and euchre him.

Get to know your partner before deciding that you should ALWAYS lead trump, or NEVER lead trump.

And always have fun. That's enough for this session, lol.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail...anon

Venture

Post by Venture » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:01 pm

i dunno if it's wise for a magician to reveal his tricks, but i guess i'll throw in my two cents as well.

1. table position.
a lot of people think in terms of "1 winning card to win 1 trick." while this strategy will get you by most of the time, try to pay attention to who has the lead and who might take the lead -- in other words, plan ahead! if the caller is on your right and he doesnt lead trump, don't necessarily come out firing! you might shortsuit yourself instead. if it looks like the caller might not take the trick, that's great for you because either his partner takes it (giving you the advantage of acting last) or your partner takes it (giving you the trick AND the advantage of acting after the caller). your trump is more valuable if you can overtrump the caller than it is to just take the 1 trick and almost guarantee the caller to your right will pick up the point. in general, if the caller is on your right try to wait as long as you can to take a trick, because if the caller's going last, that's bad news for you.

also, if the caller is on your left, it is a BIG deal to take the lead, because then your partner can act after the caller and you get to choose the suit. this is the time when you really might think about trumping your partner's ace, especially if you only have 1 low trump. that way you might take the lead and free your partner to finish the euchre, especially if you have, say, a suit that there's good chance your p will be short in. leaving him unprotected against your parter puts a lot of pressure on the caller.

2. leading trump into the callers right off the bat.
basically the philosophy here is that you should lead trump when you think it will hurt the callers more than it'll hurt you (unless there's an even better lead, in euchre the only right play is the best play). so if you have a low trump and a couple aces and you're playing against aggressive players, you might want to make them spend 2 on the first trick. also if the player on your left tells his p to pick up an ace or king, it's more likely that he only has 2! if he ordered the ace and he only has left k with a suit ace or right left or something like that, you can really mess him up by leading trump (again, especially if you have an ace or two of your own). best case scenario here is you play the 9, the caller plays the left, your p plays the right and his p plays the ace. if this happens you're well on your way.

of course it can also be the right play to lead it later on in the hand, especially if you suspect the caller's p is packing some high heat as well.

good luck!

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:08 pm

You explained that very well, Venture. How you finesse is very important when you have a weak hand, or looking for that euchre. :wink:
Have Fun, Play Fair, and Keep the Card Gods Happy!

Ukrgawd
Active Poster

Post by Ukrgawd » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:56 am

Where you sit at start of game has a major impact on your chances of winning. If you can choose to sit to the right of an "Aggresive" player, you will get more chance to call trump than sitting on his left.{How many times have you said "I've got Great Cards just cant get a call"}

Scenerio: Team A is seated, Host has 1704 rating 500+ games, His partner has 1550 rating and less than 100 games.
I will sit in seat to right of host.

LPNtchr

hints

Post by LPNtchr » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:56 pm

I am new to this bulletin board thing, but here goes-I really appreciate all the hints. I've used some of them in the past and they really so help! :D

Keep playing the game-it keeps us alive!

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:46 pm

whoohoo, LPN found her way to the forum. Welcome, buddy. You're gonna like it here!

GG/NanaGram

Hero
Active Poster

Post by Hero » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:16 am

Venture... let's not give away all the tricks now ... lol
You're undeniably right... playing the positions can make the difference of calling with queen king and getting it, and calling with left king queen and getting euch'd.
Life is too short to waste . . . let's play some Euchre.

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:02 pm

You all are forgetting the biggest tip of all and also the hardest to master. It is a little something called INTUITION. You can factor in this and that and everything under the sun, but sometimes it's just a hunch that you have to listen to to succeed. Not something that one comes upon easily, but accumulates over the years.

LadyMo
Active Poster

Post by LadyMo » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:24 am

I have to agree Duffer. Always go with your gut instinct. I have watched when I thought I should have called it this to realize that I missed out cause I didn't go with that intuition :? I play risky by my gut. Sure I miss some but for the most part it flows on through!!
Keep your eyes to the sky!!