I take my leave

tSuWho
Active Poster

Post by tSuWho » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:28 am

thatcher wrote: ur the most helpful person here without the light blue colour,ur accertive ,u are great and i thnk this site would be a harder place without u

And sometimes with her :-P

LadyMo
Active Poster

Post by LadyMo » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:23 am

Tom lol BB29 :D

tSuWho
Active Poster

Post by tSuWho » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:38 am

bunyygrrl1234
Noob

The cards

Post by bunyygrrl1234 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:30 am

I think that card games can never truly be random - live or online. The fact is that most of us online players play 9 or 10 times the games online that we play in the flesh and because of that the cards will seem skewed at one time or another. Hardwood Euchre is not only of the best sites --It is the best -- to play cards and meet nice folks. Over the past year since I have become a member of this family I can report that I have had only one bad/nasty partner. That is why I play here and why I will continue to tell my euchre buddies about this site.
Jenni

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I just hope it ain't a train!

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:50 pm

whoohoo, I just love these testimonials. I know we have the best bunch of peeps on the web, people who really care about each other and like to enjoy a nice, friendly game of cards.

We're happy to have you here.

sedna

Post by sedna » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:39 pm

ok ya'll....i don't post here much, and to be honest i don't hardly ever read it, but when i heard hero was leaving ..this i can't deal with. Sam, without you..hardwood would not be the same we love ya hun...:) cards are cards and this is just a game hun, win or lose it's the friends that put smiles on your face anyways :) i have multipal names and some of them have very high ratings and some are well...pathetic lol just make a new name...lose on that one and use hero for wins :lol: it really does work hehehe and nice motto btw mo :)

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Re: I take my leave

Post by GTO RACER » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:37 am

I know this was posted YEARS ago.... but Sam come back!!!!!!!!!!!!! and play with me! I miss ya tons!

Hoax
Noob

Re:

Post by Hoax » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Jonas wrote:Hero, I'm sorry that it appears that way.

We really have tested forwards and backwards the shuffling of the cards, spending countless hrs trying to find anything that would cause something like that to happen, and we just haven't been able to find that effect or an unbalanced shuffle.

We've added some stuff ontop of the basic shuffleing that would make it even more unlikely that the deck isn't shuffled. but some folks still feel that the cards aren't working out in thier favor.

We also added the cut deck feature which even if the deck was unballanced, you would at that point be makeing a human inpact that would determine how the deck would untimately be dealt.

I'm kinda at a loss of ideas on how to make things feel better. :/
GTO RACER - Thanks for pointing out again how poor the random deal generator. As you can see from this post that the complaints have been falling on deaf ears for many years. It appears that hardwood just doesn't want to admit they have a problem. Hardwood has taken a game that already had a 70% luck factor and made it a 99% luck factor. Skill doesn't even come into play.

This so called random deal plus the fact that the lobby has become an online version of Gerry Springer I too will say my goodbyes to all on hardwood. Some unsavory people have moved into the hardwood neighborhood and totally ruined it for everyone. Guess you can say one thing for the dealing - it takes away some of the cheating LOL.

Thanks all - The HOAX

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:57 pm

HOAX, this is as random as you will ever get with a deck of cards 9s up. You can say what you like, but randomness can give your 10 Loners in a row, or give you a huge winning streak, same thing, that's what you get when you play any card game with a very short deck. Hell you have all cards in play other than four in the kitty. It DOES happen in real live cards, it DOES happen on other sites, and to the degree that it happens on here. We all think it doesn't happen in live Euchre to this extent, but it does, HW has played over 8 Million games, that's why it comes to the fore more often. There is only one way for this to be overcome, 7s up with 12 dead discards will have you guys singing ragtime. Also with the 75% luck factor, it's still that. The top players even with this difficulty to contend with will always stay at the top because they know how to play. HELLO Jonas, where is that 7s up deck we made a deal on last Christmas? :lol: :lol:

Eennie Meenie

The G

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Post by GTO RACER » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:45 pm

Hoax I really wasn't totally bashing it. I was throwing in my input on what I got on hands.

I am actually running some statistacal formulas against the data Jonas provided way back on output from the RNG... and while there are streaks of same suit, etc... there are more strings without them. It will happen more often in a short euchre deck for sure.

My only issue after reviewing the data is the deal. Apparently the deals will go.. 5 to 1st seat next clump of 5 to the 2nd, etc.. in lieu of 1 card to first 1 card to 2nd and so on.

I think if the deal itself were one a time instead of 5 successive to each person then it would "appear" more random to most folks.

Most peole cannot get the actual concept of randomness.

If given an infinite amount of time there will be a point where all cards were distributed perfectly even. That is the truth and has been proven mathematically on many different fronts.

Is it random? Yes.... do i disagree with the card distribution to each seat? No.

But I will still stand by.. adding Dutch Loner options will stop all of that nonsense.

Laters

Hoax
Noob

Post by Hoax » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:00 am

I play a lot of euchre of the same format as Hardwood. Yes I get loppy games but in fourty odd years of playing euchre I have never seen such consistently loppy tables. I play other sites as well and I do not experience the uneven deals to the same degree that I do on hardwood. Young Hero is one of the best players to ever grace hardwood. Not only was he one of the best players but one of the most gracious. His opinions carry a lot of weight with me. We are all entitled to our own opinions and I will keep mine.
callme7 wrote:HOAX, this is as random as you will ever get with a deck of cards 9s up. You can say what you like, but randomness can give your 10 Loners in a row, or give you a huge winning streak, same thing, that's what you get when you play any card game with a very short deck. Hell you have all cards in play other than four in the kitty. It DOES happen in real live cards, it DOES happen on other sites, and to the degree that it happens on here. We all think it doesn't happen in live Euchre to this extent, but it does, HW has played over 8 Million games, that's why it comes to the fore more often. There is only one way for this to be overcome, 7s up with 12 dead discards will have you guys singing ragtime. Also with the 75% luck factor, it's still that. The top players even with this difficulty to contend with will always stay at the top because they know how to play. HELLO Jonas, where is that 7s up deck we made a deal on last Christmas? :lol: :lol:

Eennie Meenie

The G

Baluka
Noob

Post by Baluka » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:44 am

There is not much more to be said about this. Loppy tables are everywhere, try yahoo for awhile it's no better believe me, either is Pogo. I had 5 successful loners in a row there 3 years ago. I just don't know why everyone is crying. The true ORIGINAL game of euchre is played with a deck 7s up not 9s, this crazy short format was introduced into the USA many years ago from the European game. I am an ex Australian serviceman now living in the US. All over the world in the armed forces they play 7s up when you have a mixture of countries. This could all be fixed tomorrow if HW introduced the REAL game and made the 7s up an OPTION. My grandfather played 7s up in the 1st world war, no one played the silly short version, it's ridiculous to say the least. There is one thing i know for 100% certainty, you don't get this consistant Loner crap with the REAL game. HW do it please. Baluka.

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Post by GTO RACER » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:29 am

There is a lot of dispute over the actual history of euchre.... but from my readings the original deck consisted of 24.

Wiki has some good resources on it.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:41 pm

That's the same I found GTO and how I played it when I was first introduced to it in NY. I learned to play 7up's in the Navy and found it interesting to play and required a different strat. since it was possible to "go all the way" with 5 trump and no Jacks ( 7, 9, K, Q, A).

JUST DUST

PS - I liked playing 7up's
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Net Ranger
Active Poster

Post by Net Ranger » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:05 am

the 7 up argument has been done to death. The powers that be have decided to ignore it thus far, offered no response to indicate it would be a possiblilty that i've seen. Shows nothing more but a total lack of respect for the customers that handed over their hard earned dollars to Silver Creek. The people that have asked for it have only ever asked for it as an option. Therefore it would not change the game, but would offer an alternative (PROPER) way to play the game, and eliminate the RDG concerns once and for all. There are no losers by implementing the 7's up deck. Why has it not been done yet?

Hero, if ya can't beat the RDG, then learn to work it. Use an old poker adage.. you dont have to be holding 4 aces. As long as the oposition think you're holding 4 aces then you stand a chance. i've seen too many hands won with not a trump played. You have to call to be lucky. Just call and call and call. nobody wins from euchres.