Leading trump

Saudow

Leading trump

Post by Saudow » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:27 pm

Why is it that some players become irate when they have named or ordered trump and their partners lead trump?

mh63
Active Poster

Post by mh63 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:33 pm

I am pretty new to this card game, so my opinion maybe is not worth a cent, but I think that it depends a lot on the game philosophy of the player and what cards he has in hand.

During the few weeks I play now, I noticed that there are players with very different styles of play and playcalling. Some do only order trump or call trump, when they have a very strong hand with a lot of trumps and/or some aces with it.

There are others, playing a more risky style, who order or call trump with just 2 trumps, 1 ace and a 9 and 10 in different colors. They just call and hope for help from their partner.

Let's imagine that you have following hand after you ordered or called Clubs as trump: JC, JS, KC, 10C and KH. I bet you would like your partner to lead trump, to play your trumps from top to bottom. Now imagine you called the same and have this hand: AC, KC, AS, KS, 9H. When your p leads trump now, especially a low one, like the 9C, you have to give away one of your trumps. Now you will likely play your AC and hope that the other players have to follow the suit. But with A and K of spades, the chance is there that your ace got trumped by the opps. And, if your p leads a small trump, the chance is very high that one of your opponents has a bower and gets the trick. That would leave you with only 1 trump and not much to show for. But if your p leads an ace in a different color, you can lean back and watch the show and get rid of your 9H. If your p leads with a low diamonds, you still have a big chance to get the trick with your ace or king of clubs.

I hope this explanation is easy to understand. Hard to write it done in english. The important thing of it all is, that you better learn what kind of player your partner is, before it's to late in the game. :)

That is the reason why teams (like Glorious Lord Ares and Lady Phoebe), who play together day in and day out, will mostly win against players who don't know the playing style of each other or follow a different philosophy.

Hope that all sounds not too silly for you. ;)

LadyMo
Active Poster

Post by LadyMo » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:50 pm

I think you explained it quite well Bav. As one of those "risky" players I call on very little and yes my partner leading trump hurts alot but I don't get angry or anything like that lol that is why cards are a game of chance :lol:

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:27 pm

Yep, I play riskier than many. Especially if the opps have a big lead.

When I call trump, I like my P to lead trump (unless I called trump because I was stuck with Stick The Dealer) and I absolutely CRINGE when I see my P lead trump when the opps called trump. The only time that is a smart move is if you think you can euchre the opps. Just leading trump to them also pulls your P's trump.

I would rather see my P lead trump than waste an ace at the beginning of the round.

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:14 pm

Ahhhhhhh......To lead or not to lead.....that is the question.

The main factor in a decision to lead or not lead trump should be what cards your own hand consists of. If you have 3 suits, and 1 trump, that 1 trump can help your p when a suit is lead that you do not have....so dont lead trump. If you have 1 or 2 trump with aces in your hand.....it is wise* to lead trump so your aces stand (trump before aces is a good policy).

When you bid trump, it is wise to lead a suit that you need help with (not lead trump and pull your p's lone trump). If you bid a "next call" on 1,2 or 3 small trump, backed with 2 aces in your hand.....it is wise* to once again bleed out the trump and give your aces a chance to stand.

* when I say wise.....its not an iron clad guarantee...just a better chance of making points, and winning games.
always play your best, and keep counting.....

Hero
Active Poster

Post by Hero » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:53 pm

Count... I could not have said it better myself.
Life is too short to waste . . . let's play some Euchre.

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:53 pm

The main factor in a decision to lead or not lead trump should be what cards your own hand consists of.
That is so true ! Your partner will never call with just the right bower unless they have two or three aces. You should show your partner the left jack if you have it, other than that, hang back and see what is played. Having said that, if you have a really crappy hand, lead trump to your partner to give them the lead.
Have Fun, Play Fair, and Keep the Card Gods Happy!

V_Raven
Active Poster

Post by V_Raven » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:08 pm

I hate to disagree at all with anyone however...... LEAD EM IF I CALL ... I need to know where they are ... plain and simple i may be calling on the right the nine and 3 aces .... or i may have one loser which im gonna want u to take later with your ace... some say there are times not to lead trump when your team calls .. I say that time is shaft the dealer or the player before the shaft. oh and if ur pard calls on a game where the score is 9-3 sometimes its not a good idea 2 lead em out depending on how well u know your partner.
again i say if u are wanting to understand my train of thought the site is listed below :D
There are a lot of great players who dont agree with me but well i have my ways they have thiers :D

http://www.bright.net/~double/hoyle.html

Respectfully,

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:13 pm

I was just reading the rules there -- I don't remember ever having a hand good enough to pick up a solo jack after my partner didn't call it up. lol Do people follow that rule here? I never heard mention of it.

V_Raven
Active Poster

Post by V_Raven » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:36 pm

Give it a whirl gurl .. lmao but have an ace 2 go with it ur p should always be counted for one 8)

Tamatha
Big Poster

Post by Tamatha » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:52 pm

I will back raven on this one. I did not believe the method that he uses works until i started parding him and now it is a awesome way. I will admit i was unsure of it at first but like he said give it a try you might be surprised

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:47 pm

If everyone did the same thing by leading only trump when possible.....there would be no other strategy and in the long run everyone would win 50% of games assuming cards broke even in the long run.

Mind you....euchre is a game where there is no where near the skill required as to play bridge or gin. But....by applying certian strategies on when to lead trump, lay off trick or call thin.....can allow a skilled player to squeeze out and extra 5-10% more wins over average opposition.
always play your best, and keep counting.....

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:33 pm

Give it a whirl gurl .. lmao but have an ace 2 go with it ur p should always be counted for one
I worry more about my pards rating --I don't care about mine, but some people take them seriously. I hate to make risky calls that might give them a loss. I'll have to try that in the HW tourney. :wink:

Mad_Max
Noob

Post by Mad_Max » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:35 pm

I have to agree with V Raven, I played with him and did not lead trump and we won some but lost a lot. I use the lead the trump when my pard calls. It seems to work well so that your pard can see where the borrowers are.