Another way to be rude in euchre

jdub4key
Active Poster

Another way to be rude in euchre

Post by jdub4key » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:09 pm

Heres another thing I find rude/annoying: I call hearts trump and one of my opponents have Left protected. I get the first 3 books and my opponent still has the Left(and I have lead the Right already). On the fourth book I lead an off suit and the opponent with the left still doesnt throw; I get the fourth book and she/he finally throws it the fifth book. Why? The hand is not in doubt. Ive got my 1 point, you cant euchre me. When I ask why the throw off I always get this response, " I play my way - you play your way" This leads me to ask this question, "please tell me the logic of doing that". I consider it rude/annoying cause all that person is doing is wasting everyones time.

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:49 pm

Some people like to see all the cards in all the players' hands. Just as they wouldn't agree to throw down the last sure tricks in a live game, they won't do it here.

Assumpta
Active Poster

Post by Assumpta » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:10 pm

Thats not rude is just lack of skill, is your opp so let it go. Whats more annoying is the polite police who decided it is 'rude' to go alone on a score of 8 or 9, sometimes is strategic to go alone then or heck you just have a great hand and want to go for it, either way is your choice.

What is rude is players telling others how to play, particularly in a negative manner. If you dont like how they play well dont play them again

jdub4key
Active Poster

Annoyance

Post by jdub4key » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:50 pm

Theres no advantage to seeing all the cards since no two hands are virtually the same. What it is is a lack of understanding and the fundamentals of the game. I'm from Michigan and the Pistons head coach is always talking about, "playing the right way". 75% of the people that play here should apply that mantra. It also seems I've been reading a lot of negative things that happen in games, especially Smoots. Give me 2 months and I can clean up that sesspool know as Smoots.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:31 pm

That doesn't bother me nearly as much as someone who wont hit tram and needs to 'see' all the cards played. That to me is maddening.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

LadyMo
Active Poster

Post by LadyMo » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:47 pm

Well so much for your award as the polite police there jdub4key. Just because you don't like the way someone plays you feel the need to call it a sesspool?? As someone who has been around here for a few years I find it rude of people who come in and try and force their way of thinking on the others. There are polite ways and downright rude ways of finding out information on why someone plays a certain way. And I can tell you this much if I was in a game with you and you spoke to me the way your posts come across one of two things would happen. 1- either you wouldn't get an answer at all cause I wouldn't think your comment warrants it or 2 I would tell you you play yours and I will play mine. We are quite proud of our little euchre community where people respect each other and take care of each other and I find your comment about a sesspool very offensive.

jdub4key
Active Poster

Rude?

Post by jdub4key » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:26 pm

I can see what kinda person you are when you say the word "we" If you were a Patroits fan and when they won the Super Bowl did you say 'we won the SuperBowl"? And as far as the Smoots comments I was essentially paraphrasing what other people were saying in other posts. If I were the "Euchre Police" things around here would get better.

LadyMo
Active Poster

Post by LadyMo » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:40 pm

First off, I say we as in the family that WE are in Euchre. When one of us won at the Grand Prix it was a win for us all. So yes if I was a part of something like a Patriots fan then I would probably say We won. It takes all parts to make a functioning community even the ones who speak without having a clue. Not real sure where you are getting your information about Smoots but you might want to make sure you are in the right game. Spades may have problems and hearts may have problems but if Euchre has them we deal on our own. We don't have to have a "Euchre Police" we have the guides and that is exactly what they do is guide us. They help to keep our little community, our little corner of the world, fun safe, and without heavyhanded tactics. If you want to go police a game by all means visit http://www.yahoo.com they could use you there I am sure. But Hardwood Euchre doesn't!! I can guarentee if you came off like that in smoots you would be sent back to the academy. We and I do speak for alot of the players work together and sure don't need someone trying to tear that down.
And as far as seeing what kind of person I am you have no clue. I work hard with others to keep Euchre fun and pleasant. Not a place where you have to defend your every move. And anytime you want to come find out the person I am walk through the Hideout's doors.

jdub4key
Active Poster

Clueless

Post by jdub4key » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:49 pm

What color are the skies in your world? And get over yourself with the speech that your part of something bigger than the individuals. Since I dont live, eat, breathe, chit Hardwood Euchre my glasses are not rose colored and can see its faults.

LadyMo
Active Poster

Post by LadyMo » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Maybe you aren't getting the point of Hardwood. Maybe you haven't found your nitch in our little world. And I have no need to get over myself. I know what my contributions are and they sure aren't belittling other people to try and make myself seem more important. My glasses are not rose colored I know Euchre has it faults but talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. But any community whether online or in your own neighborhood is only as good or as bad as the members of it and Hardwood Euchre has the best group anywhere.
Apparently you have never belonged to a community that rejoices each other's triumphs, and cries for each other's sorrows. And for that I feel a heart full of pity for you. With your closed mind and attitude of you are so right, I fear for your soul. Someone with such bitterness and pain. Tsk Tsk such a shame. For one to see only the bad somewhere they miss all of the wonderful things that are right before their eyes. And soon those glasses that you are wearing will be dark as night and you won't see anything but the blackness that you have placed in your heart.
I would much rather enjoy the wonderful things around me then to nit pick at things that don't matter. A wise man once said pick your battles and this battle is not worth the effort. I hope that someday a ray of light will touch you and bring some love and warmth to that dark heart of yours.

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:55 pm

Some people will want to see a hand played out in this manner for 3 reasons; 1 - they want to give the other team a false sense that they may get all 5 and be a party pooper (this reason may be considered rude to some, but just a good harmless joke to others). 2- they get to see all cards played out, getting information on everyones holdings knowing what they pass or call on, and using this information to their advantage on future hands (just playing competative to win). 3- in live euchre it is done to catch a possible reneg (very smart!).[/quote]
always play your best, and keep counting.....

jdub4key
Active Poster

Rude

Post by jdub4key » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:44 pm

You didnt read the first part of my original post. The hand was not in doubt. I got my 3 books and there was no chance of an euchre. Second, if a person only plays a certain way it becomes obvious throughout the game and seeing every card is not needed. Third this is not a live game where you have to worry about a reneg. Nice try though.

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:22 pm

I did read the first part of post.......my reply was intended to show that some people want extra information while playing. Sometimes, a game is won or lost on a mere scrap of information.

And in closing.....i hope the extra 5 seconds to play 4 cards didnt cause you to lose a good nights sleep :shock:
always play your best, and keep counting.....

Hero
Active Poster

Post by Hero » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:59 pm

I will admit... I do this. I am exceedingly sorry if I anger anyone by doing it, but, as the Count as already said, every bit of info counts. If I notice that you have only played the right and a small one... I am very curious as to whether you have a third trump, or if you are the type of player that calls with 2. Info like that can be very (VERY) important; for instance, if I have a decent hand in hearts and my opponent deals himself the jack of hearts - if I know he calls lite and will probably pick that Jack up if I pass... I will pass on it in hopes that he picks it up -so I get a Euchre. There are many other important factors of seeing what kind of calls a player makes.

That's my 2 cents - till the next time.
Life is too short to waste . . . let's play some Euchre.

Hero
Active Poster

Post by Hero » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:17 pm

... and frankly I am concerned that you (jdub) think that you have the right to judge others, when you can't even think of how this can help someone. Let me guess, you are one of those people who think this game is 100% luck and it doesn't matter if you play out the cards or not because the game's result are determined before the game actually takes place. Well, it isn't, and you should not scold others for actually using intelligence to play this game. I think I will use a Football analogy since you seem to love them so much. If a team is up by 21 in the last minute of play, should they not try hard for another touchdown - or vice versa, should the other team not try to stop them from getting more. Simply because the team can't possibly come back in 1 minute ( or in this case get a euchre in a hand) does not mean that they should stop trying - do you think the losing team should just clear the field and call it a game with time left to play?! Of course not, there are point spreads, statistics, etc. . . to think about. I'm sorry if that analogy is a little complex...I hope you can comprehend it. Although, for obvious reasons, you don;t seem like you will be able to.

Have fun playing the perrrrty cards in methodological order...er... ah, never mind.
Life is too short to waste . . . let's play some Euchre.