Going alone on 8 and 9

What do you think about going alone on 8 and 9?

It is not ok!
27%
It is ok on 8, but not on 9!
23%
It is ok, no matter what the score is!
50%

Total votes: 60

mh63
Active Poster

Going alone on 8 and 9

Post by mh63 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:07 pm

Ok, why don't we simply vote, to see what people think!

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:37 pm

I voted okay to go alone on 8, but not on nine. But only because some people feel so strongly about loners on 9.

DoubleDuchess
Noob

Post by DoubleDuchess » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:10 am

I voted ok to go alone on 8 but not 9, because I am an avid tourney player and that is what my issue is about. ty mh63, on starting the poll, because i couldn't figure out how to :?

Assumpta
Active Poster

Post by Assumpta » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:20 pm

I have played Euchre for many years, and until I came played online I hadnt come across this crap assumption that it is impolite to go alone on 8 or 9. Sometimes it is strategic play not to have your pard play, other times if you have a great hand u just want the thrill of getting a loner, and perhaps sometimes it may be just stupid to go alone on 8 or 9 but that should be your decision.

Is like political correctness gone crazy, just because a few people tell u that it is rude to go alone, this doesnt make it so. You should always play your hand as you see fit not how someone else tells you.

If a tourney has the rule of no loners on 8 or 9, that is entirely different. But i stress "rule", I also think it is meaningless for a TD to tell you that it is inpolite to go alone on an 8 or 9.

If the powers to be at Hardwood wanted to make it an optional rule, they could do so, as that hasnt happened yet players should play it how they see it without negative comments from others.

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:42 am

clap clap clap

ditto the above please
Check out my grandson, Cyan Stephon!!! His First B-day!!![img]

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:36 am

Ditto ditto ... bravo, Assumpta
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

tSuWho
Active Poster

Post by tSuWho » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:55 am

Nice looking kids Jules :D

Did they take after their Dad :?:

jdub4key
Active Poster

Post by jdub4key » Wed May 04, 2005 3:32 pm

Since there isnt a valid reason to do it, it shouldnt be done ever. There should be a rule against it. Doesnt matter if in a tourney or not.

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Wed May 04, 2005 11:04 pm

But there IS a valid reason to do it ... it's NOT against the rules and can win you a game. That's two reasons for the price of one.

Euchre has been around far longer than all of us so should the rules be changed universally to make this manner of play against the rules? In live card tours? Yahoo? Pogo? In private homes? Everywhere all over the world? Or just at Hardwood? Now that IS gamesmanship ... tweaking the rules for a player's own satisfaction.

Does this also mean that the P&P "rule" in Hearts should also be treated in the same way because it's exactly the same scenario. It's considered bad sport or rude. What tosh! If it's allowed and not against the rules ... DO IT. It's called being competitive and endeavouring to win.

If someone calls a loner, gets it and wins the game or P&Ps the QS and wins the game, I'm going to congratulate them even though I'm sitting there muttering darkly under my breath wishing it was me ... THAT'S sportsmanship.

At the end of the day, it's a game ... not a life-changing major situation ... so what's the big deal? A little perspective required, I think. :wink:
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

BabyinJune

Post by BabyinJune » Fri May 06, 2005 7:38 pm

If someone is going alone on 8 or 9 what does it matter especially if you are losing anyway if i get a loner i am calling it regardless of score :twisted:

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Fri May 06, 2005 9:16 pm

I just love those situations when score is 8-8 and other team member decides to go alone only to get stopped....not knowing their partner could of helped in suit they needed. Very next hand we get all 5 for the game; what a great feeling. If anyone wants to go alone on me giving me more a chance...go for it :lol:
always play your best, and keep counting.....

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Fri May 06, 2005 10:21 pm

grrrrr, I just hate it when you're so pompous, Count.

As soon as I get 400 more points, I'm gonna join one of your games and kick your euchre butt, lol.

EDIT: To those who sent me PMs telling me I was rude to the Count, I apologize. He's one of our bestest euchre players and I'm sure HE knows I was kidding. His advice is always appreciated and I've learned a lot from his (and a few others') suggestions. :)
Last edited by Gray Goose on Sat May 07, 2005 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

x MISSY x
Big Poster

Post by x MISSY x » Sat May 07, 2005 3:16 am

ok maybe im an outsider here but i really think if u have a go alone just bid it.....In spades its like sayin why set them on the way out. Well it may be poor sportmanship but lol if u got it why not????

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Sat May 07, 2005 3:26 am

Exactly so, Missy, I couldn't agree more.

Going alone on 8 or 9 in Euchre isn't rude, P&Ping in Hearts isn't rude, setting in Spades isn't rude. They're game-winning strategies if used correctly.

Not thanking the players for the game is rude, zapping the heck out of someone is rude, telling others how to play is rude (unless you're teaching which shouldn't be happening without all game players' consent), cussing is rude, name-calling is rude, etc, etc, etc.

The defence rests, m'Lud.

burgundyrose
Active Poster

Post by burgundyrose » Mon May 09, 2005 5:25 pm

Im one that thinks if ya have a loner on 8 or 9 go for it, your gonna win anyway! I dont get them very often so when i do lol i get sooo excited. I love playing and having a good time. See you all at the tables :wink: