Going alone on 8 and 9

What do you think about going alone on 8 and 9?

It is not ok!
27%
It is ok on 8, but not on 9!
23%
It is ok, no matter what the score is!
50%

Total votes: 60

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Post by Sweetness n Light » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Sigh :cry:

"Gamplay and competitiveness" ??
"started by someone who didn't like getting beat on last call of loner" ??

Ya think ???

I think not - to me it just rudeness, ignorance and overkill !! And an insult to your partner. But more knowledgeable people than me have written about it.

I like to play euchre following the Harvey Lapp 10 commandments see these at http://euchrestrategy.homestead.com/comrevisited.html - "Don't go alone if you have 8 or 9 points. Your partner might help you make 2 points to win the game. You don't need 4 points anyway"

Also Joe Andrews has written "Score considerations-

If you are losing badly, then the Loner may be your best chance for salvation. Now the "borderline" hands become candidates. If the opponents are "at the bridge" (9 points in a ten point game), and you have a score of 6 or 7 points, a Loner by your side is a virtual forced call. Sometimes, it is good technique to order up your partner, and then go alone. That takes a trump (which might be a Bower) out of the play. On the other side of the coin, bidding a Loner with a sizeable lead is folly - unless the hand is a sure thing. - And NEVER call a Loner when the score is 8-8! This is a slap to your partner's face, and will agitate the opponents, as well....... "

If I am in a game, and you go alone on 8 - not by error - but deliberately - i simply leave the game - i have no wish to play that way - and i register my disgust by leaving - if you were my p and you call alone on 8 - the same applies - i wont play that way - and it often seems a waste of time and breath explaining why !!

I am not fussed about winning/losing it really is all about how you play the game !!

:arrow: stepping off soapbox into obscurity !!

SweetnessnLight

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:58 am

If you dont need to go alone then dont. At that stage of the game, most dont.

A good player will know if they need to or not. Most dont.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

LilRed2003_56
Active Poster

Post by LilRed2003_56 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:59 pm

If the score is 8-8 and I have a POSSIBLE loner hand (Notice I said POSSIBLE not a sure thing) I will definately call alone esp if it's my or my pards deal at the time.
Why not try it and save your opponents from getting the deal and making 2 points on their deal thereby winning the game.
There will be debates on this topic till pigs fly and it will never be settled.
I have never been to a live tourney i.e. Grand Prix but I will guess they don't even discourage no loners on 8 or 9. Most tourneys I have heard run a total points score,where loners are encouraged whenever possible since it is a combined score of all hands played.
"Don't go alone if you have 8 or 9 points. Your partner might help you make 2 points to win the game. You don't need 4 points anyway"
Key words here are MIGHT HELP it doesn't say WILL HELP.
As I said previously in posts if it is a sure thing I won't call alone on 8,but if it is iffy with a possiblity of making it I will call it. 99% of the time your partner will not get mad and if they do then they must not have wanted to win anyhow. I would rather try alone on 8 and win rather then not.

This debate will continue forever.
Live every day to your fullest.
LilRed2004

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:18 pm

To me its simple:

If you think your partner might be a hindrance, e.g. lead, style of play...bad breath, whatever, GO ALONE...be darned the score,
otherwise,
use partner as a safeguard in case things go pear shaped. After all we're talking a maximum of 2 points needed to win the game, so including partner can't be that bad....:?

Personally, I don't do it purely because it leaves a bad taste in some of my opponents mouths, apart from that, I can see no reason for it not to be done, as it is legal.

Believe me, if you get it wrong and upset partner and/or the opponents you will be going alone on 10 for a while!!!!
Image I have the body of a god... Buddha!

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:30 pm

I agree with Lil, if its the difference of making the 2 and I have a better chance of making it on my own with a loner I'm going for it. I'm not doing to rub your face in it, just doing because it is in my teams best interest.

And he's right this will never be resolved and is like one those issues like P&P in Hearts or bidding risky Nil's or pass games in Spades... there are sides in each of them that will never agree.

House rules in any card game at someone home is just that, you play by the rules that they have and when they come to your house they play by your rules..... This is HW rules, we have lots of variations of the games we love here, no it doesn't include all variations of the game and some variations I never seen before coming here. We choose the ones we like and play them.

We always have an opportunity to make a difference here by offering ways to change, not all can they do, some their not willing to do because a majority do not agree, some they can't do because of the programming. Things have changed to improve the game and it was due to the players asking for those changes and SCE having the time to do so.

This however making it a rule that you cannot go alone on 8 or 9 is not in my opinion a viable option. However if you do feel that it is that important to you make a poll with the option to accept/decline/other and see where you stand with the players and incourage them to vote in favor or disfavor and see where we land.

JUST DUST

PS - the more that participate in such things the more notice it receives, have those interested just join the forum to make their vote (they might decide they like having a voice). If you have 300 people show a preference to 30 it does make a difference.
Last edited by Dust In The Wind on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

LilRed2003_56
Active Poster

Post by LilRed2003_56 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:36 pm

TY Dusty and btw I am a he!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :roll: 8)
LilRed2004

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:53 am

Corrected... LOL

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Doc
Active Poster

Post by Doc » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:20 pm

Going alone when you don't have to is rude...plain and simple. You can dress it up by saying you're just having fun or you're curious if you could get the loner. But it's still rude.

When i say "don't have to," let me be clear. On 9, there is no reason you would ever have to go alone. On 8, however, there are times when you have a better chance of getting 4 by yourself than you do of getting 2 with your partner. And since the point is to win the game, it would be in your best interest to have your partner sit it out.

Just for fun: and example of this is would be when you're on 8 and you're eldest (left of the dealer). If you had left,ace,king of trump and ace,king off suit. Since you're going to lead trump first and one of your opponents could have 2 and you're partner could have the right....he'd take the first one and possibilly lead your off suit back, when your opponent would trump it and you could only watch. Another would be if you were dealing with you wonderful ace,king off suit again, but with both bowers and a 9 of trump. Here, if a different suit is led, you're partner could trump the first one with a 10, lead your ace/king suit back which one of your opponents trumps, and once again the game that could have been over, isn't.

burgundyrose
Active Poster

Post by burgundyrose » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:48 pm

It is an option to go alone, so I dont see what it hurts. If your gonna win your gonna win. Its a game, does everyone forget that????If I play with someone and the other team goes for a loner on 8 or 9 more power to them, woohooo I think very nice loner. Not oh god I have to be a baby and throw a fit they actually went on a loner on 8 or 9. I get on and play to have fun and something to do, not to be stressed out because of something someone thinks. I have enough of that crap off of the computer. Drama Drama Drama always Drama!!!

cowboyschick
Active Poster

Post by cowboyschick » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:55 pm

You are right Bungundy it is jus a game..but in games there is such a thing as good sportsmanship. I believe it is lame for a person to feel they need the extra points to rub it in their opponents faces and when it is done to me thats what i believe it is..I would also not play another game with the person who did it unless it was a mistake, which i have done myself..But this is my opinion and everyone has a right to their own :wink:

burgundyrose
Active Poster

Post by burgundyrose » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:22 pm

who says we do it to rub it in there faces???????

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:43 pm

Umm iv'e tried to stay out of this one, i think i still will lmao. It's a little like driving a Bus around Gnome City. hehehehe. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

LilRed2003_56
Active Poster

Post by LilRed2003_56 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:53 pm

I agree burgandyrose.
Whos says it is being rubbed in anyone's nose.
Plain and simple here if it is a close game and I think I have a chance at a loner while on 8 I am darn well gonna try it, if someone is upsey over it well they don't have to play me again.
I for one will never lose sleep over someone being mad at me and never have.
I feel it is the same as donating 2 points --- some call it blocking --- it is a strategic move, I feel donating or blocking is one of the best things to do esp. if it is close and the team has 6 or 7 points and you are right on their arse in points.
Callme7 I will be glad to drive that bus around Gnome City just let me know when the tour is. 8) :lol:
If some of ya feel it it is rude to call alone on 8 why not 7?? since you only need 3 to win. Calling it on 7 and making it would give you 11 when game ends at 10.When calling on 8 and making it gives you 12 just 1 point more then calling on 8.
I guess no one will ever see the point on calling alone on 7 when you can take ur pard along and just get 2 points. :lol: 8)
Last edited by LilRed2003_56 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LilRed2004

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:03 pm

Most people are familiar with "The Andy Loner". Players prefer i go alone no matter what the score is :roll:
always play your best, and keep counting.....

cowboyschick
Active Poster

Post by cowboyschick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:25 pm

The reason its not rude to go alone on 7 is a loner on 7 can win the game 2 points jus gets ya 9... when you go alone on 9 you only need one point so why the overkill