Going alone on 8 and 9

What do you think about going alone on 8 and 9?

It is not ok!
27%
It is ok on 8, but not on 9!
23%
It is ok, no matter what the score is!
50%

Total votes: 60

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:46 pm

Precisely, NanaGram, if it wasn't a legal play, you wouldn't be able to play it and I was taught to play a loner whatever the score too.
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

CPAScott

Post by CPAScott » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:37 am

Gotta disagree about going alone on 9. Why? The only thing it does is rub the victory in the face of the opponents. You only need one point.

You're going to win anyway, isn't that enough?

Now, on 8 ... different story.

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:09 am

CPA play ONE live tourney where loners are worth MONEY.....your attitude changes...

As for switching it off and on.....when money is involved (ever)............sorry it is ALWAYS on!
Check out my grandson, Cyan Stephon!!! His First B-day!!![img]

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:17 am

Going alone should be an individual choice. No stigma attached. If u wish to go on 9 so be it. There is a mighty good chance u'd get a point anyway. If u want to go on 8, same deal applies, however as 'The Count' alluded, you do so at ur own peril. If u dont make the loner and ur p has the helping hand, then u're just plain greedy (sounds like me....lol) and the game winning two points have gone begging. Keep on trucking and shoot the dealer. :?

Moordock
Grand Master

:)

Post by Moordock » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:28 am

Might this be compared to the old pnp argument in hearts?

There isn't a rule against it. It's a game and the object of the game is to win. :wink: If you've got a loner, you should play it as such.

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:33 am

I have made such a comparison, Moor, and I thoroughly agree with you. I also compared it to setting opps in a Spades game you KNOW you have won. I play for fun and winning is part of that fun.

If I've got a loner in Euchre, I'll order it ... if I can avoid getting the QS in Hearts, I'll P&P ... if I can set in Spades, I'll set. It's all part of the game, it's totally legal and I have no problem with it being done to me either.
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

jdub4key
Active Poster

Post by jdub4key » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:21 pm

This isnt hearts and I could care less about the rules of Hearts. This also isnt a $$$ site so that opinion doesnt mean anything. For the person who said they would get an arched eyebrow from their mami, that argument doesnt mean a thing to me as well. So once again no one has posed a legitimate reason for going alone on 9 (note Im not including 8 in this) so ADMINS when will you do something about it.

brbrockway
Active Poster

Post by brbrockway » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:04 pm

brbrockway wrote:Would you rather have gone alone and won the game, or not gone alone and been euchred - thus losing the game?
Why is this reason, as previously stated, not legitimate?

By Admins - I assume you mean the Administrators of Silver Creek. However, if you are referring to admins of Euchre leagues that you are in...let me say this: Each league does set its own policies. I can tell you in one league, you are disqualified if you call a loner on 9 (or 10 in British games) - unless it is a wacky game that requires loners. In other leagues it is recommended that you do not go alone on 8 or 9, but no penalty is disclosed for breaking that "rule". In the league in which I am an Admin, we leave the choice up to the hosting Tournament Directors...so I may allow loners at any score, but another TD in my league may ask that you do not take a loner on 8 or 9.

Interestingly enough, "Loners Only" - a wacky version of Euchre - is perhaps the most popular wacky version of Euchre on Hardwood Euchre. If the system were changed to not allow loners at certain scores, we could not play this version, or other versions of euchre that require loners.

If you do not like that someone takes a loner on 8 or 9, you can always make a note of their nic and never play with them again.

Why do we play the game - we play to Win the game :twisted:

Moordock
Grand Master

:/

Post by Moordock » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:42 pm

jdub4key wrote:So once again no one has posed a legitimate reason for going alone on 9 (note Im not including 8 in this) so ADMINS when will you do something about it.
jdub4key what exactly do you want 'admins' to do about this?

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:37 am

jdub4key wrote:This isnt hearts and I could care less about the rules of Hearts. This also isnt a $$$ site so that opinion doesnt mean anything. For the person who said they would get an arched eyebrow from their mami, that argument doesnt mean a thing to me as well. So once again no one has posed a legitimate reason for going alone on 9 (note Im not including 8 in this) so ADMINS when will you do something about it.
No one said it was Hearts but the principle is the same ... it was an analogy, not a comparison. No one has said this is a $$$ site either so yes, opinions do count.

You have been given legitimate reasons for going alone on 9 ... you just don't agree with them ... that is YOUR opinion and YOUR prerogative. For those of us in favour of going alone on 9, that is OUR opinion and OUR prerogative.

I agree with brbrockway ... avoid the players/games that do not play the way you like to play. There are enough players at Hardwood for this course of action to be relatively easy.

Why should those who like to play aggressively be penalised for following the rules and why should the rules of Euchre (which have been laid down for donkey's years) be changed to accommodate this point of view? As someone else pointed out, this only seems to be a bone of contention at Hardwood ... not all game sites ... so why should the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many? (Plagiarised, and amended, from Spock :wink: )

Sterlingchick123
Active Poster

Post by Sterlingchick123 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:40 am

I'm a new euchre player and I don't understand?

Who is it rude to? Your partner? A win is a win, why would they care, even on a 9? and on an 8, if you feel you have a better chance to tram alone and get four and you can't be certain you'd get two with your pard, then you make a decision, and like any other bid, you take a chance and your partner has to be gracious and respect your decision regardless of the outcome.

Your opponents? Does this mean that two back to back suns in hearts is rude too? Cuz you'd be winning by many many more points than you would really need to?

Maybe that's apples and oranges, but I just don't understand.

Maybe, and this could be it, that there is a special set of protocol that's been established at this euchre site. But, from my experience at this site, I only see the rudeness when someone goes alone, and gets set, and then their partner proceeds to tell them that they could have helped them, blah blah blah....and questions it. That's disruptive and rude.

While I have played 10,000++++ hearts games, I probly have only played 75 euchre pard games. So maybe I will change my mind on this after awhile.

tepake
Noob

Post by tepake » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:06 am

Although I don't think there should be a rule against it, going alone on 9 is poor sportsmanship, in my opinion. I won't do it. Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should. It's like running up the score in a football game.

So what if you rarely get a loner? They're more satisfying when they count for something.

If you're playing for money, that's different. But doing it just because you can is rubbing it in, as CPA said. Why bother saying "gga" after that? Might as well say "Take THAT, losers."

Terry
Signature? We dun need no stinkin' signature.

TPK

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:24 am

The number 1 LEGITIMATE reason for it is:

IT IS ALLOWED IN THE RULES OF THE GAME!

TPK- are you saying all those football teams (or baseball, so any other sport for that matter) who win with scores of say 24-3 are poor sportmen????

Or the team that goes for the touchdown when a fieldgoal will do are poor sportsmen?!!?!?
Check out my grandson, Cyan Stephon!!! His First B-day!!![img]

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:26 am

VERY valid point, wildfire

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:37 am

The way I see it is :

I am going to play my hand to the best of my ability and it doesn't matter the end result (well of course I intend on winning). If I have a loner, I'm going to play it that way, it should not matter the score and would expect the opponents to do the same.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!